The Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean the team on display at Goodison hasn't been particularly exciting in recent times but I do wish we made a bit more noise in the ground like..

It's easy to see how the players can get a bit of a boost from the crowd singing regardless of what's going down on the pitch. I know people want to vent when we're doing badly but surely it's just making an already difficult situation worse? Professional footballers or not they're still human beings - it'll affect them.

It might be because I'm much younger but I cant wrap my head around how negative our fans are tbh.

Play a safe pass back to the keeper? Rubbish.

Try a through ball that doesn't come off? Rubbish.

Miss a chance? Should have passed, rubbish.

Misplace a pass? Should have shot, rubbish.

etc,etc.

Heard some calling Richarlison a diving soft git at half time, he's scored 8 league goals this season! I genuinely feel like the delusion of the top clubs helps them in this regard, at United/Liverpool, they'd be talking him up as the next Ronaldo or whatever.

I'd also be behind a singing section tbh, sounds cringey but every club will have one in 10 years time I reckon

It might be because I'm much younger but I cant wrap my head around how negative our fans are tbh.

Play a safe pass back to the keeper? Rubbish.

Try a through ball that doesn't come off? Rubbish.

Miss a chance? Should have passed, rubbish.

Misplace a pass? Should have shot, rubbish.

etc,etc.

Heard some calling Richarlison a diving soft git at half time, he's scored 8 league goals this season! I genuinely feel like the delusion of the top clubs helps them in this regard, at United/Liverpool, they'd be talking him up as the next Ronaldo or whatever.

I'd also be behind a singing section tbh, sounds cringey but every club will have one in 10 years time I reckon

Mate, if I am totally honest, I have stopped going for a year (this season). It is dire and rancid. My kids don't want to go and I am bored of driving for hours on end to sit next to some whopper who loves nothing more than moaning and being seen to be a bigger moaner than the guy next to him. "you won't out moan me you sh1t"..... it's as if being negative makes you a better, more knowledgeable fan than being positive.

Weird

Mate, if I am totally honest, I have stopped going for a year (this season). It is dire and rancid. My kids don't want to go and I am bored of driving for hours on end to sit next to some whopper who loves nothing more than moaning and being seen to be a bigger moaner than the guy next to him. "you won't out moan me you sh1t"..... it's as if being negative makes you a better, more knowledgeable fan than being positive.

Weird

You've hit the nail on the head there I think. It's as if being positive is some awful crime. After Newcastle "Didn't deserve anything from that". What?! We battered them first half ffs. Its okay to say "We played well at times there"

You've hit the nail on the head there I think. It's as if being positive is some awful crime. After Newcastle "Didn't deserve anything from that". What?! We battered them first half ffs. Its okay to say "We played well at times there"

Yeh, the looks you get (my kids get) for shouting positive stuff, ridiculous.

So what games do we create a good atmos for other than the derby and perhaps UTD.
With regards Utd a segment of Sky Sports had goals from past Everton v Utd games and got me thinking.
Two things. Yes the crowds are always up for that one.
Secondly, reminiscing over when we had skilful graters. Piennar, Arteta, Fellaini, Cahill.
A couple of them last night and we would have been out of sight by half time.

Monday night game atmospheres are often poor in general however the problem we have had at the club for many years in regards to the atmosohere is the same arl arses attend and its very patriarchal.

Any talk of singing sections, flags, Scarfs and banners is shot down as being "kopite behaviour" and basically everyone is expected to sit on their hands all game unless the ref makes a horrid decision against us.

Was furious with how quiet we were yesterday, almost like a "lets not pretend this is a big game against little old watford" - well a likely loss to Man City and results for Leicester, West Ham, Bournemouth, Wolves and Watford could see us drop to 10th/11th in the table... idiots.

Lots of clueless folk watch the club. And the negativity DURING the match is senseless.

But there's been a stack of players signed in the last ten years who are nowhere near good enough to wear the shirt and earn far too much given their lack of ability. That's why there's a huge disconnect. Nothing worse than watching underperforming players week in week out making the same mistakes. And they mostly have hugely inflated opinions of their own level as well which makes it far worse.

In the mean time we need a bit of realism and some support. That doesn't mean singing for ninety minutes. I couldn't be bothered with that myself. But some gentle encouragement once a while wouldn't do any harm. Reserve the booing for full time, Allardyce and the world hide and seek champion Cleverley.

It may just be a sign of bad things had become since the Martinez mid-table seasons, but I actually think that the atmosphere at Goodison this season has been much better, and certainly more positive, than any time in the last five years. I stubhubbed my season tickets for the Watford game as I had already been up (from London) to a midweek game for Newcastle last week and couldn’t really justify more time off work and more expense so close to Christmas. However, even during the Newcastle game there seemed to be more roars and passion in the stands than we saw throughout most of last season. There is a greater air of positivity and noticeably more singing this season from my vantage point at least. Bear in mind that we also haven’t played any of the bigger teams at Goodison so far this season. The atmosphere even against such luminaries as Brighton and Fulham was better than every game I saw last season aside from Lyon and the derby.

Yes the crowd is full of moaners and those yelling out abuse, but for the most part that tends to be directed at the referees and opposition, as it should be. I was listening to a podcast the other day with Howard Webb who singled out Goodison as a notoriously challenging place to be a referee as the fans are always on top of you and giving out abuse for any decision that goes against us. I think at times this can count against us, as the refs decide to be “strong” by not giving the decision the crowd howls for, even when it is justified.

I'm not saying the atmosphere is perfect and Goodison is the Bombonera or St Pauli, but I think that this season the atmosphere has definitely improved. Football in England has changed beyond recognition from the days of a terrace being full an hour early, being made up of very young, working class men all tanked up. Yes, you can point to Germany as an example of how to have both a safe environment, an excellent product and good value, but you'll be raging against reality to suggest that we can somehow all become like that again, if we ever even were. As a minor example, just think of the crackdown and hysteria over a couple of smoke bombs at away games. We live in too sanitised a country these days and there isn't the widespread, or establishment, desire to be like Germany (or nearly any other European league) or how we once were...

Post derby debacle, and poor Newcastle performance malaise.

We rarely come out 'all gun's blazing', doubt set's in, pass's go astray, the opposition takes heart, and we struggle.

We need a period of consistency on the pitch to engender some atmosphere in the ground.

Sad, but true, I fear.

Hate it when I watch the match at home on the TV and the atmosphere is rubbish at the ground. Really ruins the armchair experience for me.

Wish these people who make the effort to go on a Monday night in crappy weather and paid their money hard earned money just before Xmas got behind the team and made my TV experience that much more enjoyable.

I teach and would not be able to get home in time.

Jog on with your sarcastic comment. When I can get a ticket to Goodison (which is bloody impossible sometimes) the whole day costs 150 quid.

Status
Not open for further replies.