New Everton Stadium Discussion

Indeed. I can understand from a fan point of view why they wouldn't want it. Hell if they bought BM instead of expanding the pit I would be secretly hoping for something to scupper it - good for the city or not. However you would hope someone who really has the best interests of the city at heart to rise above all that. If I was voted in as Mayor or Metro Mayor I would like to be remembered as someone who drove the city forward not let it stagnate while cities like Manchester go from strength to strength.

They've seriously missed out on this opportunity.

Let's just hope it gets built, then we can wind them up about the 4th grace.

Just seen this news on skyscrapercity, but from a different (better) article. The actual quote about 2020 is this...

The club already has architect Meis on board, and although a contractor has yet to be appointed, it is hoped the stadium will open in 2022 with a planning application expected this year. Rotheram joined other panellists in criticising the current planning process and the difficulty in getting complex schemes through to approval quickly. He said that by pushing for more devolved powers from Government, he hoped to have a spatial development strategy and more control over planning by 2020, but said: “Everton is set to have a spade in the ground before then, so will be navigating the current system.”

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/mipim-uk-everton-will-be-more-than-a-stadium/

It said by then but it can be before. The 2020 is deadline meaning it would have to be revisited.
If you read the full article ,says the club are navigating the current process.
Rotherham saying Everton will have a spade in the ground before then.
And stadium up and running in 2022 , looks like he wants a quicker way to get any planning through instead of all the government red tape.

I might be wrong, but wasn't he originally opposed to the idea?

To be fair, he is only stating the obvious.
Its always easy to shout the odds from the 'outside' but when you get 'inside' you sometimes get to see more of the game, you tend to get a slightly different perspective...maybe even see which side your bread, be it political or otherwise, is buttered on.
Just sayin like.