Just how far behind the top four are we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early days but unbeaten so far - against a newly promoted club and a relegation favourite. We have a GD of just 1 and already shipped 3 goals. Compare that with the current top 2 and it's obvious how far we are behind.

We're a million miles away from being on a par with them. Thanks to the last three fools we've had as manager along with Welsh we're in an impossible position. Its going to take at least three season's of building for us be able to seriously compete with the top four and even then they're going to be evolving at the same time. This is a project that will require patience from everyone at the club and frankly that's the most worrying thing for me. I've seen more patiance from two year olds then some of our laughable fans. I've no doubt that after the first bad result the usual suspects will be demanding the managers sacking! We can't afford to be back in this position again in a few years. Every time it happens we fall further and further behind and closer and closer to a real relegation battle.

Spurs are the model, they have spent, or more accurately reinvested very wisely, found themselves an excellent manager that they have been able to retain thus far, and retained their key players. They can now get wins whilst not playing particularly well.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Redknapp laid much for the ground work for Pochettino to follow whilst Brands/Silva inherited an unholy mess.

What it will take is stability and to a lesser degree, money, as well as prudence and foresight in the transfer market. As much as I would like us to get even one season of UCL football, I want us to be challenging for it year on year, and to break in to that elite group of clubs. We'll need a squad of 23 that has quality all over to do that, and that will take probably another 2-4 windows, assuming the current crop of new signings are the successes we hope them to be, and that we continue to spend wisely and thoughtfully after that.

I give Silva/Brands a free pass this year, but things are already looking up. The top four is far-fetched as I see it, but this year and the next are about closing the gap.

I'm not fixated on league position but we should be aiming to improve quite significantly on points gained and goals scored. It also goes without saying that our record against the top six is both atrocious and embarrassing, we have to at least aim to be competitive in these fixtures, win more often that not at home, and learn to win away, whatever it takes.

In fact, the manager that resolves our dismal and long-standing pretty dreadful away form on the whole is the manager that will crack it at Everton.

What are people's thoughts on Bournemouth? I'm inclined toward us losing 2-1 (winner to them in injury time...same as it has been the last few times)

I can buy the quality gap in head to heads v the top 6 and also in terms of overall consistency (ie us not being good enough to put some teams away so some wins turn to draws that would have been wins for a top side). What I can’t accept though is Everton going away to poor sides and from the first ball being kicked playing as if a draw is a fantastic outcome. There’s been games there for the taking over the years and we’ve not gone for them because we’ve been content with plying out a draw. Our away record has been absolutely shocking and that is not a quality issue it’s a mentality one. If Silva can fix this then our scope for improvement is massive this season as our home record under most managers is usually good. I’m not saying we’re going to start turning teams over every away game but we should be going to the grounds of the bottom ten away from home at least with the aim of winning and not just looking for a plucky point.
I know what you're saying, but I think you're potentially overstating our quality there. A winning mentality comes from knowing you're better than the opposition. Having the belief that you can just go out and play, and as long as you play as well you can then you'll win, regardless of the opposition. I just don't think we've often had that sort of quality in my time watching us.

Even in Martinez's first season, when most people would say the mentality was great and we were 'sin miedo' we only won 9 of 21 away games against PL teams. We still didn't win away to any of the teams who finished above us, and we only drew with the likes of Palace, Cardiff, and Stoke. We weren't 'playing for a draw' in those games, but that's all we could get because we didn't have enough quality to win the games. We'll have a winning mentality as soon we've got players who are good enough to justify it, it's that simple.

Having a very young squad is a massive step in the right direction. We need a top top striker who can get 25 plus.

We have an excellent goalie, defence is a work in progress, gana is our Kante and the front four have started clicking.

It’s all positive.
It essentially all boils down to this for me. 2013/14 was a fantastic season that produced results as well as attractive performances and it was all down to having a young, talented spine with great balance. We need to find that again.

In any single, isolated season, anything is possible. Right, Leicester? This campaign is particularly interesting, this is also about the time that Mourinho grabs his coat and kindly shakes everyone’s hand as he politely heads towards the door. Gunners are in transition, true, but so are we. I doubt we would have been quite happy with the returns of starting against city and Chelsea either. We’re actually quite fortunate in that regard, we have some matches to get our wrinkles sorted out before the real tests.

Just take one game at a time, and we’ll see where we are down the road.

Presuming that Brands will improve us over the next few Transfer Windows, I think our best way to accelerate our rise would be to qualify for the Europa League and make a descent push at winning the thing over the next few seasons. Obviously all the teams in it want it but that is the the way to sneak into the UCL then with the additional funds and hightened stature our ability to pull in better players can propel us towards the top 4.

Problem is mate, even a weaker Arsenal and Man U could easily be still good for us.

The other thing is as well, we haven’t played any one of note yet, our first big test will be the Arsenal game, that may give us a few hints of things to come this season.

For me Arsenal are not top 4; Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Tottenham are top 4, then its Arsenal and Chelsea, then we are behind them in 7th. To break into that top 4 we would need to play above ourselves and 3 of those Top 6 would need to under perform. Two games in and it looks like Man City, Liverpool and Tottenham have picked up where they left off last season and Chelsea have started well, but the defence looks like you could get at them. At the moment I cant see us getting top 4, we could possibly get 5th if Man Utd and Arsenal dont do well

Status
Not open for further replies.