2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yerrrrssss
AridAgitatedBlesbok-small.gif
I didn't see these quotes before my comment, but it fully supports the context of managing expectations in the short term.

Seems to have a coherent plan to develop the club. I said when he joined it could take up to 3 windows to address the mess he inherited, but you can’t help but be impressed what he has done on the transfer front and the strategy he has to take the club forward.
You wouldn’t think so, would you? Yet looking around here, apparently it’s possible.

Enjoyed his interview(s) today, really insightful.

He obviously has a plan and understands the modern game and what comes with it. Outplaying Barca in the negotiations is probably a lot easier said than done.

The story about Mina’s goal is brilliant, you can imagine the four of them impressed while being fuming at the timing while they were interested in the player.

One of the key things from it for me has to be his mention that the wage bill has dropped significantly. Not as much as he targetted but with the likely departures of Cuco, Bolasie and Besic it sounds like we’ve done outstanding business overall.

I actually find it hard to believe that we’re better off for wages considering the level of players brought in but I guess we’ll find out in the accounts either way. It would be a massive achievement if true.

The positive noises about his and Marco’s relationship has to be mentioned too. They’re obviously on the same wavelength for both transfers and tactics.

He said: “First my focus was only on the transfer window, to make a good squad for the new season. But from September 1, I will be focusing on the youth."

“I saw the last two games of the Under-23s at Chelsea and in Manchester. That is also an important thing. I will go down to the young ages, the Under-16s and Under-15s also.

“We have a lot of work to do at this fantastic club.”

What’s not to like?

Enjoyed his interview(s) today, really insightful.

He obviously has a plan and understands the modern game and what comes with it. Outplaying Barca in the negotiations is probably a lot easier said than done.

The story about Mina’s goal is brilliant, you can imagine the four of them impressed while being fuming at the timing while they were interested in the player.

One of the key things from it for me has to be his mention that the wage bill has dropped significantly. Not as much as he targetted but with the likely departures of Cuco, Bolasie and Besic it sounds like we’ve done outstanding business overall.

I actually find it hard to believe that we’re better off for wages considering the level of players brought in but I guess we’ll find out in the accounts either way. It would be a massive achievement if true.

The positive noises about his and Marco’s relationship has to be mentioned too. They’re obviously on the same wavelength for both transfers and tactics.

With wages its very hard to know how we ended up, lots of factors regarding who pays the loan players wages, what %, whether we got a loan fee to offset the wages and what not.

But very, very roughly, so dont @ me if I make a mistake, but :

Rico 80k?
Digne 70k?
Mina 80k?
Bernard 100k?
Zouma 70k?
Gomes 50k?

Robles 30k
Garbutt 25k
Mori 40k
Rooney 150k
Klaassen 80k
Tarashaj 20k
Onyekuru 30k
Williams 80k
Robinson 15k
Mirallas 75k
Connolly 15k
Vlasic 20k
Besic 35k
Bolaise 80k
Martina 30k

But its all just complete and utter guesswork.

Seems straightforward enough: Brands is saying "manage" in either one of two ways: 1/ he'll manage expectations without achieving them (i.e. present a series of piecemeal targets that have us pretty much treading water as the "top 6" stride on) or 2/ he'll manage expectations by closing that gap and fulfilling the ambitions of the fans.
OK. I understand that.

That's not what your original post said but nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.