"Will Everton's failed gamble mean top six disappear over horizon? " - Guardian Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible premise for the piece: "the top 6 clubs of the last two seasons cant be broken up". A ludicrous statement that will ALWAYS be proven wrong."

Mind you, it is from Paul Wilson who, along with his Guardian co-hack Andy Hunter, is consistently wrong on everything he writes about Everton.

The man is a buffoon.

Aim to build a title winning first eleven and if we fall short we will still be in a very strong position.

Ignoring style of play, tactics and players gelling;

World class Keeper
Centre back pairing of ball player + Monster
Attacking full backs
Defensive midfield star
Box to box midfield general
Attacking central midfielder
Two goalscoring inside forwards
Lethal striker

Pickford is class and will get better
Holgate is a ball player + Mina is a monster
Coleman + Digne are attacking full backs
Sigurdsson the jury is out on
Richarlison + Walcott can score
Tosun is a goalscorer

Even if we sign Digne + Mina and everyone else plays to their maximum ability all season...we lack 2 crucial ingredients of a first eleven

Star defensive midfielder + midfield general

And...no depth.

I thought you were being optimistic...this does look positive you know. I do hope there is optimism and realism in the club, where we are not aiming for a consolidated top 8 finish. There's just no point to playing for no.7 as if it's somehow the 'Premier League Relegation Championship'

This actually looks good I think, and if somehow you remove MIrallas, Williams, Bolasie, McCarthy and Besic / Schneiderlin, and then add Mina, Digne and Richarlison, it's really not bad, but still a big squad.
Realistic compeition for places, where people think they can actually get in the team (not like last year when some players had no hope) makes it worthwhile.
In the past, with a good system, other teams have made youth / reserves work out to bring depth to the squad (Davies, Dowell, Beni, Vlasic, DCL, Lookman)
Currently underperforming players can play to their best, and outdo themselves...we've seen flashes from Besic, Schneiderlin
Sigurdsson / Vlasic could work in an attacking midfield role, but I dont know yet what roles the 3 play in Silva's 4-3-3 (midfield)
It's a shame about apparent 'nice guys' like Klassen and Sandro, but can't see how they fit into this.

Terrible premise for the piece: "the top 6 clubs of the last two seasons cant be broken up". A ludicrous statement that will ALWAYS be proven wrong."

Mind you, it is from Paul Wilson who, along with his Guardian co-hack Andy Hunter, is consistently wrong on everything he writes about Everton.

The man is a buffoon.

It does always get broken up, but it's hard to see Man U, Man City and Liverpool losing their financial power.

Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea you can imagine might drop out temporarily if Tottenham have to economise, Arsenal have to rebuild, and Chelsea lose Abramovich, but then we have to take the opportunity. Leicester is not a good example to follow in this because they were brilliant, opportunistic, but then didn't capitalise, and now will have to settle for 7/8 it looks like!

This article looks like one of those modern day 'journalistic pieces' which you could write entirely from browsing the internet and social media

It does always get broken up, but it's hard to see Man U, Man City and Liverpool losing their financial power.

Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea you can imagine might drop out temporarily if Tottenham have to economise, Arsenal have to rebuild, and Chelsea lose Abramovich, but then we have to take the opportunity. Leicester is not a good example to follow in this because they were brilliant, opportunistic, but then didn't capitalise, and now will have to settle for 7/8 it looks like!

This article looks like one of those modern day 'journalistic pieces' which you could write entirely from browsing the internet and social media
It's hackery of the worst order. Sensationalist BS that makes no sense whatsoever.

These people really are bottom-feeders in the scheme of things: they try and catch the eye of the gullible because they have no insight on the game at all.

Because it's the Guardian it's supposed to have credibility? Pfffft! Paul Wilson is a doddering shambles of a reporter. So is Andy Hunter - who thankfully doesn't cover Everton much these days.

It’s about making sensible, safe, long-term signings and cutting the dead wood out. We can’t remove all risk, but together Marco/Marcel can reduce the risk of dropping a clanger significantly by actually having a strategy, which is more than can be said for Koeman/Walsh. I believe we can do it, but patience and realism is required.

It's hackery of the worst order. Sensationalist BS that makes no sense whatsoever.

These people really are bottom-feeders in the scheme of things: they try and catch the eye of the gullible because they have no insight on the game at all.

Because it's the Guardian it's supposed to have credibility? Pfffft! Paul Wilson is a doddering shambles of a reporter. So is Andy Hunter - who thankfully doesn't cover Everton much these days.

I usually go to the Guardian and then to BBC sport to confirm news, but it's becoming more and more of rumour and baseless opinion, with over-emphasis on Arsenal and Guardiola

I usually go to the Guardian and then to BBC sport to confirm news, but it's becoming more and more of rumour and baseless opinion, with over-emphasis on Arsenal and Guardiola
it's all rubbish. The much vaunted Joyce/King sources are punts too. You only need to look at the Tierney stuff to know that.

Never trust a hack....especially if they've worked on Merseyside.

The man is a buffoon.
I agree with you there mate.

Hunter is easily the best Everton journo IMO.

It seems the average-ness of our squad is becoming public knowledge.

We have known for a while.
Too many players at our club stealing a living.

I read that article this morning. While at first it may seem to make sense there is one major flaw with it. The "big 6" they refer to has only existed for a couple of seasons. For about 15 years prior, it was the big 4. This means of course that the name will change again depending on where the rs and man utd finish in the league, so next season we could be talking about the big 4 again or the big 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.