Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, we do not. Look at our P&L. Read the rules. We absolutely have to cut a (rough estimate) net £25m from our wage bill or find a magic £25m increase in revenue as we are already trading at a loss (Elstone estimated it would be £15m for the last year but awaiting the accounts) & revenue will decrease this season without Europe. Wages are our big constraint. Like you I also hope wanting to negotiate more competently will prevent repeats in the future.
We can lose money in a single year no problem. I'm also not sure you can tell from a P&L how much amortization is left and at want rates of player fees or how much contribution an owner can make to support. Also not sure how much of the projected expenses are stadium oriented. So I'm skeptical of those figures, they certainly aren't exact. Think we also need to anticipate a better kit deal and some increases in commercial revenue in the future.

We can lose money in a single year no problem. I'm also not sure you can tell from a P&L how much amortization is left and at want rates of player fees or how much contribution an owner can make to support. Also not sure how much of the projected expenses are stadium oriented. So I'm skeptical of those figures, they certainly aren't exact. Think we also need to anticipate a better kit deal and some increases in commercial revenue in the future.

Yeah I dont think we are cutting costs due to being in danger of breaking rules, its simply a business decision based on a very dangerous level of % wages to revenue.

Silva - I'll sign the players I want
Marco Silva is confident Everton’s power brokers will deliver the “players I ask them for” with less than a month of the transfer window left, writes Phil Kirkbride who spoke to the new Blues boss in Austria after the club record 22-0 win in his first match in charge.
SIlva told the ECHO:

“We have our targets and we have already decided the positions we want to improve in our squad.
“We believe in all of our players but, for sure, we will do that and we have decided our targets.
“Our board, our chairman, our sporting director, they are doing everything they can to give me the players I ask them for.”

I don't know what I think of this quote. Is the board whiffing on targets? Is the board relentlyessly chasing the top targets but not willing to overspend a la last year?

I'm not a massive fan of either, but I just don't see DCL as ever capable of banging in 20 goals in a season. But no, I'm not a big Abraham fan at all. I could see him EVENTUALLY getting good, he's just too slight and weak to be effective. Not sure he has the first touch to ever be great, either, just saying.

It's a day for Spurs comparisons for me today! How long has Harry Kane been scoring goals for? 3 years is all. He had his first proper breakthrough season at 21 - the same age as DCL. He had pretty unsuccessful Championship and Premier league loan spells with Leicester, Norwich and Millwall before this.

Players do develop and you have to give them time. (Look at Kane, Dier, Trippier, Davies Ali). If DCL works on his finishing (and a lot of it is confidence as he shoots too centrally) he could score 20 goals a season by the age of 24 too. Depends on the opportunities and coaching he receives between now and then.

Loftus Cheek and Abraham both have the potential to be outstanding PL players (Chelsea have a pretty good record when it comes to youth talent, they just never give it a chance!) , but they are not there yet.

I would be happy with both as they offer something different to what we have and have a lot of potential. Abraham has shown he can blitz the championship and did well when given the opportunity in a poor Swansea side. Loftus Cheek needs to be coached by someone who has faith in him and then I think he will develop into one heck of a player.

Players like these 2 plus a couple of more established players and it will be a good window.

I don't know what I think of this quote. Is the board whiffing on targets? Is the board relentlyessly chasing the top targets but not willing to overspend a la last year?

Sounds to me like Silva has had a proper look at the squad and made his mind up.

Think things should defo start moving within the next 7 days. Expecting a big week next week.

I get the "hes had 6 months to look at them" but he hasnt seen them train, he hasnt had a close look at how some of them adapt to his tactics.

Sounds to me like Silva has had a proper look at the squad and made his mind up.

Think things should defo start moving within the next 7 days. Expecting a big week next week.

I get the "hes had 6 months to look at them" but he hasnt seen them train, he hasnt had a close look at how some of them adapt to his tactics.

I can see it. I hope that's the case

He said in the other piece from Kirkbride:

“We can analyse some of today but also all week. The players worked hard, they showed me what they want and the desire to play in our team.”

But when asked if his opinion of the players had changed – for better or worse – in the time he's worked with them, Silva said: “All my ideas I will keep to myself, like is normal in these situations.

“I knew, very well, most of the players before I came and I am analysing some of our young boys as well.

“But it is normal, some have really impressed me but the others I know. This is nothing new for me.”

Which is essentially what you say there.

Now he's had two weeks with them, his vision for them is clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.