2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't said he can't play on the left. I think he can. I think his best position is the 10, but he can play on the left (and if he'd had had someone better than Martina behind him for the majority of the season, it would have helped), or he'd fit in a 4-3-3 as one of the more advanced midfielders.

He isn't the type of player to control games. I don't know why people expected him to do that. He's much more akin to Dele Alli than he is an actual playmaker. Doesn't mean he's not creative.

And no, we don't have to build a team around him. He's a player who can slot in.

He played badly today, still created some really good chances in the first half.

You refuse to see any quality, and it's purely because of a fee that had nothing to do with him.

We overpaid, but he's a good player who improves us when he plays.

All true.

I think the difference is that one team is built around him, while the other team threw him into a disjointed inverted winger role with no real plan besides play it slow and sideways (Koeman) or boot in long (BFS).
Yeah that’s how I look at it.

He was playing well before his injury so I’m hoping to see more from him next season.

No point hating on the lad.

Wrong

Go back to when he was at Swansea and I said exactly the same. He hides when it gets tough and does the very minimal in 90 minutes

He’s beyond overrated

And saying he improves us, behave. He adds nothing

He does improve us.

He created our most chances last term, despite missing the last two months - how can you say he adds nothing? (and no, I'm not saying it's just chances that add something to a team, btw, but it's a reasonable stat to use).

Hides when the going gets tough? Pretty much kept Swansea up for two seasons and has been a huge part in Iceland qualifying for a Euros (getting to QF) and the World Cup.

Had a mare today, summed up by the penalty miss.

He does improve us.

He created our most chances last term, despite missing the last two months - how can you say he adds nothing? (and no, I'm not saying it's just chances that add something to a team, btw, but it's a reasonable stat to use).

Hides when the going gets tough? Pretty much kept Swansea up for two seasons and has been a huge part in Iceland qualifying for a Euros (getting to QF) and the World Cup.

Had a mare today, summed up by the penalty miss.
I totally agree he was poor today and seemed to play ( when I could discern an Iceland shape ) deeper and then all over the place when they were chasing the game.

For me he should play at the head of a diamond in midfield but so few teams play that shape.

I think he is a difficult player to accomodate in a team. He doesn't run with the ball or beat a man. He isn't a powerful box to box midfielder and can't play deep. He has a short range of passing but usually gives good quality from dead balls. Hideously overpriced by Koeman / Walsh

I totally agree he was poor today and seemed to play ( when I could discern an Iceland shape ) deeper and then all over the place when they were chasing the game.

For me he should play at the head of a diamond in midfield but so few teams play that shape.

I think he is a difficult player to accomodate in a team. He doesn't run with the ball or beat a man. He isn't a powerful box to box midfielder and can't play deep. He has a short range of passing but usually gives good quality from dead balls. Hideously overpriced by Koeman / Walsh

The bold bit nails it for me.

He's a playmaker who can only make a very particular style of play.

Wrong

Go back to when he was at Swansea and I said exactly the same. He hides when it gets tough and does the very minimal in 90 minutes

He’s beyond overrated

And saying he improves us, behave. He adds nothing

Of course, NO ONE at Swans would say that. And if he hides when it gets tough, why does he score against the big 6 all the time?

He of course improves us and he'll be a terrific attacking midfielder for us in Silva's 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. But yeah, you slot him in, he'll do great.

Let's let Marco Silva have a full season of a fully fit Gylfi before we judge him. Last season he was forced out on the left to accommodate Wayne and was playing really well before his injury.

I agree to an extent.

I'm not excusing him today - he was just poor. Irrelevant of the position. It just shows, I think, that the idea of him playing deep in a two won't work. In a three I think it'd have work as it's a completely different set up and he's played that role before for Swansea to good effect.

His passing is decent - but he isn't a deep-lying playmaker. By my earlier comparison to Alli, I meant he's a player that thrives running onto a ball or collecting it at in the final third, either getting a shot off or providing an assist - because he's got quick feet and a sharp pass. He's also got that quality from dead balls as you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.