Brands stamps his authority

Status
Not open for further replies.
The round of interviews he did last week plus the press conference he did this week is about all I want to see or hear of Brands from now on. He should just fade back into the bureaucracy of the club and not seek - or be asked - to go front and centre in explaining our transfers or general football plan. He is not the manager of Everton, and the manager is the only one we should be wanting to hear from on that score.
Like a good referee, shouldn't even know he's there.

Agree, but it was a big news item for our club. Would not expect him to be there in future.
I'm glad he came out and presented himself positively. It was big news for us and quite rightly made a fuss over. Also good to know what the set up is and that there is definitive accountability.
But I wouldn't expect him unvolved in the weekly pre game presser and giving out sound bites every 5 mins and I'm sure he won't. He doesn't come across as an attention seeker, seems very professional, thankfully.

Daniel Levy's role is about as similar to brands now as it gets.

that's how important I see Brands roll at the club now. it is Levy 'esq

levy is CEO and not far off being a DoF with it. he signes the players and I do believe he decides what players to bring in, in some cases. see sissoko
No. He has no football expertise. The Levy CEO role / Pochettino coach role is probably the model I had in mind, in fact.

I do everything I can to make my managers able to do their jobs. But I am their boss, they are not my boss. Largely agree that strategy and direction are under control of the directors (they are usually either more experienced, smarter and more qualified than the managers - or born into the role through nepotism). So we sort of agree: DoF will set the strategy and direction, acquire players, make it possible for his manager to perform, but will ultimately be the boss.

I can't envisage a situation where a manager tells a director what to do - well not a situation where the manager wants to keep his job. He might make suggestions and even push for his ideas to be adopted, but Billy-big-nuts director is the man to make the key decisions in line with his strategy.

Make no mistake, Brands will be calling the shots.
How on earth are you comparing a manager in commerce with a football manager? It's a completely different culture.

Can see Dave's already not happy.
I'm not unhappy. I'm just underlining the reasonable point that you have to have hierarchy and a recognised number 1 at the head of the playing side of the club. For me that has to be the manager. He's the one who's tasked with getting results.

I'm not unhappy. I'm just underlining the reasonable point that you have to have hierarchy and a recognised number 1 at the head of the playing side of the club. For me that has to be the manager. He's the one who's tasked with getting results.

In a setup without a DoF - yes.

With a DoF? The manager/head coach isn't number one.

I'm fine with either - doesn't make a difference and you'll still watch the interviews no matter who is answering the questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.