Brands stamps his authority

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brands is currently the most important person at the club.

His soundbites are good, but even looking at the picture in the OP, Brands is the alpha. Silva is very important, but he knows who's in control.

Tom Ferguson submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

Brands stamps his authority
brandssilva-1024x461.jpg

Agree to disagree. The GM/DoF structure could work. It might be a relatively new idea for european football, but it has worked elsewhere in other sports.

In my opinion, and especially in a game where tactics are becoming increasingly important, having the manager too involved in the recruitment of players, and selling of players, takes away from his ability to do his day job, which is to win football matches.
We're not a massive club, organisationally speaking. We've had managers in the near past who set up just about everything on the playing side.

It's here now (DoF) but all we really need is an industry savvy CEO and good manager. Worlds need keeping apart and the tendency for troublesome cross-overs from the DoF and the manager cant be downplayed.

DOF sits above the manager. Silva reports into Brands.
Now that is arse about face IMO. Obviously a DoF will (generally speaking) outlast the manager, but a manager should be answerable to no one. The DoF should be tasked with carrying out a manager's bidding to the nth degree and maintain total commitment to him. If the time comes when the chairman/owners think a change is required then the DoF steps in and shuts the manager down and hands him his cards, and then they head up recruitment for a successor. That;s the way it should work.

What do people want? Billy K advising Moshiri, or Brands? It is clear to me that Moshiri has changed the club structurally, bringing in people of quality at key posts, replacing some dross and working around Kenwright, whilst leaving him a title and a "role".

It follows that the DoF sits on the board and advises football stuff, that is his department and he has budgetary control and oversight of it. His underlings do not perform, he is responsible to take action. Classical business set up.

The manager has to organise pre-season, no doubt his predecessor (I can't type his name anymore) has left trips to various pie factories and running around his breakfast plate as the pre-season strategy and team preparation. So the new manager has 4 weeks to put in place his plans - that is quite a tight time frame.

No doubt the two of them will be working on ins and outs, selecting from a squad that so under-performed, having to work out who they think is worth salvaging and who needs to be jettisoned. We have the advantage here, we have had to turn up and watch those muppets so we know their worst - the question really is, if they produce their best, are they good enough and can the new man get the best out of them.

A tricky few weeks and probably under the highest microscopic examination they have ever had to endure. Good luck chaps.

your correct here.

Brands has essentially replaced kenwright , as Moshiri's 'trusted advisor'

it has become blatantly clear that kenwright was still involved in transfers and big decisions, and they all turned out horribly..

this Brands appointment could be the beginning of the end completely for kenwright and the start of the new Moshiri only era

Now that is arse about face IMO. Obviously a DoF will (generally speaking) outlast the manager, but a manager should be answerable to no one. The DoF should be tasked with carrying out a manager's bidding to the nth degree and maintain total commitment to him. If the time comes when the chairman/owners think a change is required then the DoF steps in and shuts the manager down and hands him his cards, and then they head up recruitment for a successor. That;s the way it should work.

I do think you are abit old fashioned when it comes to management set ups dave.

would you prefer the old wenger way, when he decided and organised everything down to what brand of tea was in the kitchen??

that way of doing things is waaay outdated now. there are literally not enough hours in the day to do EVERYTHING alone, hence why Arsenal have fallen off a cliff in recent years..

I don’t think that model works. A manager answerable to no one? That’s Koeman all over again. Brands is essentially taking care of the business side of football as no one on the board is able to. Ins, outs, strategy, money, direction. Silva is one piece of this. He can’t be ordering Brands around though in all those matters and coach the first team. There’s simply not enough time to do both effectively.

The clue is in the job title. Director of Football.

I work in a large company, I am a director, the people who are under me are managers, under them are workers. So it is with a football club.

DoF-->Manager-->Coaches-->Footballers-->tea ladies -->Bill Kenwright

I do think you are abit old fashioned when it comes to management set ups dave.

would you prefer the old wenger way, when he decided and organised everything down to what brand of tea was in the kitchen??

that way of doing things is waaay outdated now. there are literally not enough hours in the day to do EVERYTHING alone, hence why Arsenal have fallen off a cliff in recent years..
I'd say Pochettino looks a strong character at Spurs who takes the lead in all aspects of the first team.

I don’t think that model works. A manager answerable to no one? That’s Koeman all over again. Brands is essentially taking care of the business side of football as no one on the board is able to. Ins, outs, strategy, money, direction. Silva is one piece of this. He can’t be ordering Brands around though in all those matters and coach the first team. There’s simply not enough time to do both effectively.
A manager has to be answerable finance wise to a CEO / chairman-CEO as far as I'm concerned to make sure they're not driving the club over a cliff as that divvy did. And that's it.

I'd say Pochettino looks a strong character at Spurs who takes the lead in all aspects of the first team.

Daniel Levy's role is about as similar to brands now as it gets.

that's how important I see Brands roll at the club now. it is Levy 'esq

levy is CEO and not far off being a DoF with it. he signes the players and I do believe he decides what players to bring in, in some cases. see sissoko

The clue is in the job title. Director of Football.

I work in a large company, I am a director, the people who are under me are managers, under them are workers. So it is with a football club.

DoF-->Manager-->Coaches-->Footballers-->tea ladies -->Bill Kenwright
Doesn't contradict their role as I put it. A DoF acquires players and punts them on the instruction of a manager but most importantly keeps a continuity in the sense of a club's identity when managers move on or are moved on.

Doesn't contradict their role as I put it. A DoF acquires players and punts them on the instruction of a manager but most importantly keeps a continuity in the sense of a club's identity when managers move on or are moved on.

I do everything I can to make my managers able to do their jobs. But I am their boss, they are not my boss. Largely agree that strategy and direction are under control of the directors (they are usually either more experienced, smarter and more qualified than the managers - or born into the role through nepotism). So we sort of agree: DoF will set the strategy and direction, acquire players, make it possible for his manager to perform, but will ultimately be the boss.

I can't envisage a situation where a manager tells a director what to do - well not a situation where the manager wants to keep his job. He might make suggestions and even push for his ideas to be adopted, but Billy-big-nuts director is the man to make the key decisions in line with his strategy.

Make no mistake, Brands will be calling the shots.

I do everything I can to make my managers able to do their jobs. But I am their boss, they are not my boss. Largely agree that strategy and direction are under control of the directors (they are usually either more experienced, smarter and more qualified than the managers - or born into the role through nepotism). So we sort of agree: DoF will set the strategy and direction, acquire players, make it possible for his manager to perform, but will ultimately be the boss.

I can't envisage a situation where a manager tells a director what to do - well not a situation where the manager wants to keep his job. He might make suggestions and even push for his ideas to be adopted, but Billy-big-nuts director is the man to make the key decisions in line with his strategy.

Make no mistake, Brands will be calling the shots.
Alrite marcel mate, did you decide what area of liverpool your moving to yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.