Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
..The footy has been dreadful but he’s had a poor squad to work with

I think it is more a case of not using the squad he has had to work with correctly. Everyone could see some time ago that Rooney has no impact on most games whatsoever now. Everyone can see that playing 2 defensive midfielders and a lone striker at home against teams in the bottom three is just beyond the pale. Everyone could see that playing Sneiderlin continually at the expense of other, better, midfielders was crazy (young Beni, for example, has offered far more when he has actually got on the pitch!). He appears to have Hibbert/Osman disease...

I'm for keeping him. No guarantees whoever we get in. Be that gravy and pie, paella side of garlic bread or sausage meat and tagliatelle!

To all those advocating BS or are worried that if we get rid of him we might not get anyone better, let's look at the best case scenario if he stays.

We sign some good players in the summer, get rid of some of the dead wood, the football is still boring but we score a few more goals and finish 7th or 8th. Even his most ardent supporters would agree that this is the best we could hope for.

So what's the problem. The problem is the top six managers are Chess players and BS is and always will be a Draughts player. We will never progress as a club under him, as progressive tactics are adopted by more and more upcoming younger managers we won't even stand still, we will move backwards.

We need a complete overhaul, we need to adopt a philosophy of fast paced attacking football, Identify the DOF best suited for this and employ managers who are young, driven and progressive.

Yes a particular manager may fail, but if the right structure is in place the club can hire a new manager to fit the philosophy and players at the club rather than the other way round.

tbf Martinez's 47 from 38 is a poorer points per game ratio than 36 from 24 by some distance and West Ham's upper ceiling is realistically halfway having not always been in the top division, but that's neither here nor there to the central issue - How do we get better from where we are now and not repeat recent mistakes.

But this league is a poorer one this year, and the teams we have played lately have been a combination of dross/season over or not bothered. Anyone half decent still beats us . In some games we have been very fortunate winning with our only shots on target and relying on our better players to do something, it's not a sustainable pattern of play or ethos. And that record discounts our very tough start to the season. Take it over a season and we won't be sixth was my point. And his West Ham record shows little improvement in four seasons apart from keeping them up. It's all moot anyway I agree many of the issues stem from last summer and the problems at DOF and board level. However the point still remains we need a coach to improve our players and squad, I still believe they are better than they have shown, and Sam will only scrape by and laud it.We need to rebuild for more and yes the window this summer is shorter than ever, but there are coaches out there who could improve us in my view.

I think it is more a case of not using the squad he has had to work with correctly. Everyone could see some time ago that Rooney has no impact on most games whatsoever now. Everyone can see that playing 2 defensive midfielders and a lone striker at home against teams in the bottom three is just beyond the pale. Everyone could see that playing Sneiderlin continually at the expense of other, better, midfielders was crazy (young Beni, for example, has offered far more when he has actually got on the pitch!). He appears to have Hibbert/Osman disease...

..I think that is fair. He’s picked sides to pick up points and wasn’t prepared to be a bit more expansive, even when we were clearly safe. Saying that, I do think it’ll be difficult for anybody to get a tune out of this squad because it’s so unbalanced and contains players who don’t compliment each other.

To my eye the failure of last season stemmed from a lack of leadership and the poor appointment of Walsh.
In the first place we had a DoF who seemingly lacked the ability to supply the players the manager requested and also lacked the strength to force through his own choice resulting in no suitable players recruited for those positions.
I also believe that Koemans abrupt failure was partly due to a powerful coterie within the club who undermined Koeman and lobbied for the unsuitable promotion of Unsworth.
A strong and able DoF should of prevented this. At the very least he should have provided a list of available and potentially interested managers and ensured one was secured before the dismissal of Koeman. Unsworth's reign should have been at most a 2match caretaker role.
This sequence of events stemmed from the failure of our DoF , but also a failure of leadership throughout inc. our CEO.
However this failure should not provide an excuse for the club to curtail its ambition of bettering itself and return to the false comfort of mid table obscurity. Instead it should provide the impetus for an immediate and thorough reorganisation of the club, from top to bottom.
New CEO. An experienced DoF ( even an old dog like Allardyce admitted the need for one in today's game). A manager who can meet the clubs aspirations. This represents the bare minimum ,far more needs doing. In my opinion Unsworth and his clique should be removed also , sadly.
This season has been a massive set back , but we must not allow the fear of past failure to dictate the limits on our future hopes.
Be brave.
And there was the biggest problem,there were managers available,just not interested.

To all those advocating BS or are worried that if we get rid of him we might not get anyone better, let's look at the best case scenario if he stays.

We sign some good players in the summer, get rid of some of the dead wood, the football is still boring but we score a few more goals and finish 7th or 8th. Even his most ardent supporters would agree that this is the best we could hope for.

So what's the problem. The problem is the top six managers are Chess players and BS is and always will be a Draughts player. We will never progress as a club under him, as progressive tactics are adopted by more and more upcoming younger managers we won't even stand still, we will move backwards.

We need a complete overhaul, we need to adopt a philosophy of fast paced attacking football, Identify the DOF best suited for this and employ managers who are young, driven and progressive.

Yes a particular manager may fail, but if the right structure is in place the club can hire a new manager to fit the philosophy and players at the club rather than the other way round.

..signing the right players is more important than simply buying good players. Therein lies the problem that is Steve Walsh and giving him another window to manage.

He wants his usual payoff.

If that is true, which it could be. Then can you blame him? There are not many posters here who would walk away from any job for nothing IF they knew they would get paid off should they get the bullet, I certainly wouldn't and this doesn't come back to the 'if he loved our club he'd walk crap', RK didn't and he got his pay off, if Sammy is to get the can then he will come out of this smelling of roses because the media will play this as Sam getting the bullet and he finishing 8th and we and our owners will deserve the criticism for teh way we have behaved towards him. 'arry is far more of a gangsta than Sam is but here it is personal insults all the time against the fella like we are all model citizens here in our daily lives I bet and looks like averaged weight models too I am sure.

Life is too short for that crap, Sam is here 6 months, people want to forget the previous 28 odd years of crap do they and assume it's all just happened since Sam arrived?

..signing the right players is more important than simply buying good players. Therein lies the problem that is Steve Walsh and giving him another window to manage.
Not just Walsh but Allardyce too.
There is no system with the ball in place, just a reliance on getting the ball to Rooney / Walcott.

No coincidence that we were absolute turkey on Saturday, even more than usual, because these two didn't play.

We are terrible. Being 8th won't deceive me nor nor will it alot of blues I'm sure.

completely disagree re. Koeman and Martinez - 99% of people were happy to see them go when they did.

To paraphrase Enoch Powell......all football managerial careers end in failure.

99% of people were happy to see club legends like Colin Harvey go when the time came.....ditto Harry Catterick when the man was clearly ill and not up for it anymore.

Same for Howard at the end of both his second and third spells.

The only manager I recall leaving this club with mass disapproval from the fans was Big Joe.

His time had not come and happen Peter Johnson had allowed him to buy Torre Andre Flo the past twenty years might nit havebeen such a wasteland.

The difference between Sam and every other Everton manager appointed in my lifetime is that about 99% of fans never wanted him appointed in the first place because we knew exactly what he we was and still is.

Many of us were prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and dared to hope he coud prove his critics wrong and thrive at the first big club he had managed and with a transfer budget.

Sadly our hopes were dashed and we saw the ugly face of Sam Allerdyce emege on December 26th 2017 and we realised that what we were in for was five months of monotonous grind.

And so it has transpired.

What I hadn’t bargained on was the unremitting arrogance of this serial non achiever and his snarling belligerence toward the fans.

Get the bugger out......ASAP.

They need to make a statement regarding the ongoing unrest amongst the fans. They can’t just ignore it and hope it’ll go away. We are paying customers, we deserve clarity.

I am convinced he is staying and the club will say nowt until next week so as not to risk a greater show of discontent at Goodison than we saw on Saturday.

The travelling Blues will make their feelings known at Hammers this weekend but the club will just ride it out and hope tempers will cool off during the close season.

You and I know they won’t......but this shower running the club live in a bubble and will think all is well with the world.

I am convinced he is staying and the club will say nowt until next week so as not to risk a greater show of discontent at Goodison than we saw on Saturday.

The travelling Blues will make their feelings known at Hammers this weekend but the club will just ride it out and hope tempers will cool off during the close season.

You and I know they won’t......but this shower unning the club live in a bubble and will think all is well with the world.
That’s my worry. I think he is staying, too.

And there was the biggest problem,there were managers available,just not interested.
Again you make these empirical statements when in fact there is no evidence to support your stance. Since neither you nor I were privy to the the recruitment process we can neither of us say with any certitude who did and didn't apply and who was and wasn't approached , we merely have opinions.
My opinion is that there would have been many managers interested in managing in the prem with a sizeable wage and budget attached.
Again in my opinion , it is probably more accurate to say that the managers we wanted where unobtainable.
However this again illustrates a failure of our DoF , one of whose tasks should be to have a list of currently obtainable managers to cover any eventuality of the incumbents failure.
Instead he could only come up with his old mate.

You and I know they won’t......but this shower running the club live in a bubble and will think all is well with the world.
Disturbingly I think you're right.
It will be a true test of Moshiri and how he will be regarded in the near future.
Which owner model will he follow.?
Roman Abramovich or Peter Swales.?

Not necessarily. They don't really need to say anything. He's a third the way through his existing contract. Maybe they think by saying anything in support, it will make us think "yesss, the dreaded vote of confidence, he must be gone" or even worse "oh ffs, were lumbered with him for another season at least".
Don't get me wrong, I'm annoyed there's silence from all involved, but it's always been this way with this board.

Yeah fair point. I don’t think he’ll be here next season though, hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.