Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If SA stays we will have another season of fan discontment, there is no doubt.
A new man has to be given a period were he is allowed to build and make mistakes..
Patience will be required, but that seems in short supply of late
Totally agree we need a young keen manager or someone with a great track record in the Prem!

What is the point of being in a competitive sport if we don't compete?
Hanging on to the fig leaf of stability is cowardly. We are currently becalmed in mid table obscurity being told that is good enough, but the truth is for a competitive football club it's a living death. We now have two leagues in one, the top six and the rest, the second tier clubs. How long do we wait in this football purgatory , 1 season ? , 2?, more?
Because at some point we surely have to take that risk , to once again enter into that uncertainty, to gamble once more to get amongst the top tier. And if we have to do it why not next season ?
Or we could just cling onto where we are, but that's just craven, surely we as fans are braver than that?
I have always said I will follow this club whichever division it plays in and that still holds true.
But after over five decades of support I realise I am increasingly reluctant to support a club that is becoming too scared to try .

Yes I can't but agree to these sentiments and goals, but we can't then just be wreckless and not learn from the all too recent chaos that made us so desperate only this season.

We have to always look for the opportunity to improve and make that jump you talk about and maybe now might very well provide that opportunity, perhaps with a far better manager available and willing to come. From the outside we are perhaps a nearly top of 'the rest minus top six' league but did flirt with the lower reaches all too recently and offer no European football whatsoever next season even if we do pay well.

The next managers available will obviously go to their better options and a whole multitude of clubs will be looking including Arsenal, PSG, Chelsea and very likely Juventus plus other giants, not mentioning the tier of clubs slightly below.

Its far from the easy and straightforward option to change, as the in effect severely shortened summer will fashion it's own constraints on the process, and we could easily be scrambling around as the season approaches desperately looking at what's left and whether anyone will be suitable.

We just need to proceed with more care and not rush to lose a manager and then find we have no replacement.

Last edited:
If SA stays we will have another season of fan discontment, there is no doubt.
A new man has to be given a period were he is allowed to build and make mistakes..
Patience will be required, but that seems in short supply of late
I think we just need clarification more than anything. I think matty has it nailed though...no lap of honour = goodbye.
I do worry however about summer funds, In an interview Moshiri said he has spent money and wants to see a return in his investments before even thinking about spending again. That sent alarm bells to my very cortex.

I see he's now using the players as a tool against the fans with his "they are disappointed they aren't getting any credit" stuff.

Strange old boy is Sam. Can only he think he knows the bullet is incoming.

I think we just need clarification more than anything. I think matty has it nailed though...no lap of honour = goodbye.
I do worry however about summer funds, In an interview Moshiri said he has spent money and wants to see a return in his investments before even thinking about spending again. That sent alarm bells to my very cortex.
Any new manager with a reputation will demand funds before moving to us, does that tell us if no funds available no new manager and we stick with SA
Massive summer for the Club

I see he's now using the players as a tool against the fans with his "they are disappointed they aren't getting any credit" stuff.

If there are any of our players who feel hard done by for not getting adulation for coming 8th then they need fired out of the club by cannon.

Totally agree we need a young keen manager or someone with a great track record in the Prem!
Not that easy to find.Keen young manager,Eddie Howe? can see that one going down well with the frothers. Manager with a great track record in the Prem?Can you think of one that will make the step down to Everton? and please don't quote the wages we can offer,lots of other clubs have more money behind them than we do.

..Moshiri will certainly know the fans discontent and that will probably make the difference. We need a change if we are to progress but I still think some of the Allardyce criticism is OTT. Never forget Southampton away, 8th place seemed a long way off after that defeat. The footy has been dreadful but he’s had a poor squad to work with and has done what he was brought in to do.

Change and move on, the Allardyce regime will not be remembered fondly but we are still at the top table and that wasn’t certain before Christmas.

The fact they haven’t come out and supported him as well could be a good thing.
Not necessarily. They don't really need to say anything. He's a third the way through his existing contract. Maybe they think by saying anything in support, it will make us think "yesss, the dreaded vote of confidence, he must be gone" or even worse "oh ffs, were lumbered with him for another season at least".
Don't get me wrong, I'm annoyed there's silence from all involved, but it's always been this way with this board.

tbf Martinez's 47 from 38 is a poorer points per game ratio than 36 from 24 by some distance and West Ham's upper ceiling is realistically halfway having not always been in the top division, but that's neither here nor there to the central issue - How do we get better from where we are now and not repeat recent mistakes.

Last seasons transfer window and the whole fiasco of changing the manager was a black comedy classic, you couldn't make it up.

This is only anecdotal and I can't remember the exact parties involved, I think it was Koeman, and maybe the owner and the Director of Football Walsh or something like that but apparently each of the three recognised the need for a creative no.10 player, but each of them wanted a different player for that position. They couldn't agree on which one to get, so in the end they decided on a compromise solution.

By buying all of them.

:D:D:D:D
To my eye the failure of last season stemmed from a lack of leadership and the poor appointment of Walsh.
In the first place we had a DoF who seemingly lacked the ability to supply the players the manager requested and also lacked the strength to force through his own choice resulting in no suitable players recruited for those positions.
I also believe that Koemans abrupt failure was partly due to a powerful coterie within the club who undermined Koeman and lobbied for the unsuitable promotion of Unsworth.
A strong and able DoF should of prevented this. At the very least he should have provided a list of available and potentially interested managers and ensured one was secured before the dismissal of Koeman. Unsworth's reign should have been at most a 2match caretaker role.
This sequence of events stemmed from the failure of our DoF , but also a failure of leadership throughout inc. our CEO.
However this failure should not provide an excuse for the club to curtail its ambition of bettering itself and return to the false comfort of mid table obscurity. Instead it should provide the impetus for an immediate and thorough reorganisation of the club, from top to bottom.
New CEO. An experienced DoF ( even an old dog like Allardyce admitted the need for one in today's game). A manager who can meet the clubs aspirations. This represents the bare minimum ,far more needs doing. In my opinion Unsworth and his clique should be removed also , sadly.
This season has been a massive set back , but we must not allow the fear of past failure to dictate the limits on our future hopes.
Be brave.

All he said after Saturday was that the players looked like they were already on holiday and that it was the worst passing performance at home he'd seen.Difficult to argue with that.

They don’t really have to say anything though mate.

He’s got an 18 month contract.
They’ve got to address the unrest of the fans by either publicly backing him or announcing when he will leave.

It is also very uncommon for Premier League clubs to allow their managers to go into the last year of their contract without negotiating an extension, though, nothing surprises me with this shambles of a club anymore.

I wonder if we will get the sort of manager we want if there is little money to spend on players, Will there be any money? We wasted around £200m which could have gone towards the funding of the stadium. Does Moshiri see it as an issue of funding either the stadium or the team? If we spend another £100m, for example, would that harden attitudes against the Council lending us £280m? I don't envy Moshiri having to make these decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.