Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last summers transfer window was badly planned, badly targeted and badly executed, that will go down as one of the all-time spectacular failures of a window, more so perhaps for not replacing Lukaku than ending up with no pace, no guile and no idea.

Three number tens, various misfits and no goalscorer was a recipe for trouble, compounded by the recruitment fiasco following Koemans dismissal. Unsworth was left with the thankless task of soldiering on with a team bereft of confidence and competely rudderless. He was competely out of his depth and relegation was calling, that's why they were so desperate to escape anyway, anyhow.

All that's gone and can't be changed and Allardyce does get results however unpalatable his methods. He can't be blamed for past signings and his own have been far better.

Cenk Tosun - largely successful
Theo Walcott - provided badly needed width and pace

Both have been good

So while Allardyce ideally should be replaced his record of 36 pts from 24 games was sixth best in the league and certainly over a season may well have achieved 6th or 7th.

Of course we should aim for domestic cup runs too, but being drawn away at Anfield or Stamford Bridge in the first draw doesn't help, but I'm sure we should try next season if given a slightly easier passage.

Obviously we need a total reform of transfer policy from that followed last summer by the previous transfer and recruitment clowns, not least to try and stop any exodus of season ticket holders, but however justified or otherwise anger is to the current set-up, better players brings better football if planned correctly.

There really isn't much upside available as far as league position goes and any management change with such a truncated summer and so many high profile clubs looking is likely to be both difficult and fraught with risk, what there is though is a very considerable down side.

We can't just lose one manager without being in a position to be certain of better.

Agree with most of the first part and our problems run deeper than the management. Walsh/Koeman/Kemwright/ Moshiri should all take a share of blame for last summer. And yes Sam has done a job, but the idea he will get seventh next year doesn't equate to me. This was a poor league and our 8th is a false position as we are way down points wise on where we were, Martinez had 47 points the year he was sacked and we were 11th. If he stays I fully expect more dross, more PL experienced players to pack the squad, more talking down expectations and more negativity against teams away from home and against the top six. He may get 'results' but at what cost? Over a season he showed his level over four years at West Ham, we will scrape top ten if he stays and he has built up no support if we get a run of bad results, he will be under pressure straight away. So far from offering us the stability we crave keeping him will continue the turmoil in my view. But I am repeating myself, we need to know either way in the next week.

Last edited:
Last summers transfer window was badly planned, badly targeted and badly executed, that will go down as one of the all-time spectacular failures of a window, more so perhaps for not replacing Lukaku than ending up with no pace, no guile and no idea.

Three number tens, various misfits and no goalscorer was a recipe for trouble, compounded by the recruitment fiasco following Koemans dismissal. Unsworth was left with the thankless task of soldiering on with a team bereft of confidence and competely rudderless. He was competely out of his depth and relegation was calling, that's why they were so desperate to escape anyway, anyhow.

All that's gone and can't be changed and Allardyce does get results however unpalatable his methods. He can't be blamed for past signings and his own have been far better.

Both have been good

So while Allardyce ideally should be replaced his record of 36 pts from 24 games was sixth best in the league and certainly over a season may well have achieved 6th or 7th.

Of course we should aim for domestic cup runs too, but being drawn away at Anfield or Stamford Bridge in the first draw doesn't help, but I'm sure we should try next season if given a slightly easier passage.

Obviously we need a total reform of transfer policy from that followed last summer by the previous transfer and recruitment clowns, not least to try and stop any exodus of season ticket holders, but however justified or otherwise anger is to the current set-up, better players brings better football if planned correctly.

There really isn't much upside available as far as league position goes and any management change with such a truncated summer and so many high profile clubs looking is likely to be both difficult and fraught with risk, what there is though is a very considerable down side.

We can't just lose one manager without being in a position to be certain of better.

Again, I agree with most of the first part of your post but it's not so much the league position the next manager achieves next season it's the long term direction the club is looking to take.

This "better the devil you know" attitude is perhaps fine for West Ham and Brighton supporters but as an Evertonian is beyond my comprehension.

Both have been good

What is the point of being in a competitive sport if we don't compete?
Hanging on to the fig leaf of stability is cowardly. We are currently becalmed in mid table obscurity being told that is good enough, but the truth is for a competitive football club it's a living death. We now have two leagues in one, the top six and the rest, the second tier clubs. How long do we wait in this football purgatory , 1 season ? , 2?, more?
Because at some point we surely have to take that risk , to once again enter into that uncertainty, to gamble once more to get amongst the top tier. And if we have to do it why not next season ?
Or we could just cling onto where we are, but that's just craven, surely we as fans are braver than that?
I have always said I will follow this club whichever division it plays in and that still holds true.
But after over five decades of support I realise I am increasingly reluctant to support a club that is becoming too scared to try .

It is about trying to be the best you can be. We need a board and a manager who we strive to make us the very best that Everton Football Club can be. Under Fat Sam we will be not as bad as the bottom 3. Being a supporter of a football club is about aspirations not limitations. I don't know about the rest of the fan base but Fat Sam has stolen my belief that we can win a cup or even challenge for top 4 and he has replaced it with turgid mediocre thinking. Surely we can't take another year of this, we know what we will get from another Fat Sam year and I for one don't like it.

Let's just hope that the reason he hasn't been fired is that his contract provides for fixed compensation payments depending upon when his contract is terminated and that it is cheaper to fire him at the end of the season rather than , say , a few weeks ago.

I'm clinging to that hope anyway.

What is the point of being in a competitive sport if we don't compete?
Hanging on to the fig leaf of stability is cowardly. We are currently becalmed in mid table obscurity being told that is good enough, but the truth is for a competitive football club it's a living death. We now have two leagues in one, the top six and the rest, the second tier clubs. How long do we wait in this football purgatory , 1 season ? , 2?, more?
Because at some point we surely have to take that risk , to once again enter into that uncertainty, to gamble once more to get amongst the top tier. And if we have to do it why not next season ?
Or we could just cling onto where we are, but that's just craven, surely we as fans are braver than that?
I have always said I will follow this club whichever division it plays in and that still holds true.
But after over five decades of support I realise I am increasingly reluctant to support a club that is becoming too scared to try .

It`s also the lack of communication from the club too.

Right now the fans have no idea what`s going on at all and this is adding to the discontent and frustration.

I appreciate that this may change very quickly after the season finishes, but right now it feels like Everton football club is in the footballing equivalent of the Twilight Zone.

On a positive note he has unified the fan base.
Under Martinez, Kooeman the fan base was fractured. we had factions who were never going to buy in, factions that defended the manager. In Sam I think he has a 99% following who want him out.
It may serve the new manager well as hopefully he will get the total backing of the 99%.

Right now the fans have no idea what`s going on at all and this is adding to the discontent and frustration.

I appreciate that this may change very quickly after the season finishes, but right now it feels like Everton football club is in the footballing equivalent of the Twilight Zone.

The fact is that like it or not, SAm has a contract until the end of next season. Strip the current 'discusson' down to its bare bones and in reality only Mosh or Sam or both will decide whether he sees out the contract. I'm sure the 18 months given to SAm included a get out clause on both sides for the end of this season....the extra 12 months gives SAm more time to 'complete the job he was signed for', or gives him the pay off if Mosh thinks the job has been done already. And everyone knows there is a lot more 'fixing' to be done. If we are getting a new 'flair' coach in this summer or next, there will need to be a solid ,working group of players with the right attitude for him on arrival, otherwise he will be beaten before he starts.

The fact is that like it or not, SAm has a contract until the end of next season. Strip the current 'discusson' down to its bare bones and in reality only Mosh or Sam or both will decide whether he sees out the contract. I'm sure the 18 months given to SAm included a get out clause on both sides for the end of this season....the extra 12 months gives SAm more time to 'complete the job he was signed for', or gives him the pay off if Mosh thinks the job has been done already. And everyone knows there is a lot more 'fixing' to be done. If we are getting a new 'flair' coach in this summer or next, there will need to be a solid ,working group of players with the right attitude for him on arrival, otherwise he will be beaten before he starts.

Spot on.

Whatever happens the club needs to make it plain as day, what the vision for the future is, so the fans can actually see and understand what`s going on :

(1) - Allardyce is staying - state the reasons and why. ( it won`t placate the fans, but at least the club have been straight with them ).

(2) New manager- state the expected time frame that he has to work within, to sort out the mess that we`re in and back him properly.

The fans aren`t stupid and know that no matter what happens, next season is all but written off, due to having to almost start from scratch again.

This scenario isn`t going to change, regardless of whether Allardyce is here or not.

As many have said though, the danger is that if Allardyce remains, then that`s another year that a new manage could`ve been sorting out the mess we`re in.

Stick or twist.

IF some believe he will still be here next season and a defeat would put the final nail in his coffin then yes.

Lets put it this way. If you think the board are still undecided and a defeat tomorrow meant that it would guarantee he's gone would you take that?

Apology for late reply my cell phone had issues so I am relying on being at work to link into GOT !

I realise it is a catch 22 and the difficulty in regards to balancing what is best for Everton however I could not see myself ever getting to the point of wanting an Everton defeat to prompt a decision from our board , IMO if it got to that point I would strongly reconsider whether I still support Everton or not

anyhow it seems our supporters made it clear on Saturday in no uncertain terms from the Gwladys St if that doesnt get thru to the board and to Sam - then agreed we have major problems

Reactions: JLW
Let's just hope that the reason he hasn't been fired is that his contract provides for fixed compensation payments depending upon when his contract is terminated and that it is cheaper to fire him at the end of the season rather than , say , a few weeks ago.

It could be something to do with payments and timings etc but I also think the club sees no need to sack another manager this season once we where safe, where also not going to get rid of him just in case we can't get one of our targets, imagine we sacked sam then through all our eggs in one basket ie Fonseca, but then he refuses last minute we would then waste the short summer we have this year chasing any manager available who would have us over a barrell just like sam did, I think lessons have been learned on that front and Sam has been told you will see out the contract 'only' if we can't land our main target

What people seem to forget is that there has been no point in sacking him at any point this season since he come in. We have been picking up wins and points for a while now so essentially he has been doing a good job in recent weeks.

If/when he goes it will be for a change of direction for the future but he hasn't actually done anything to warrant being sacked especially since March.

I agree, but then the club dobt want to come accross as underappreciative either. Thanks for winning games Sam but we don't want you, paints the club in a bad light. End of season change of direction however has ambition if we replace him quite quickly.

Sam knows he is going hence the wind ups for weeks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.