Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't asked was he staying he was asked did you get clarification and he said yes.

No... the clarification the journo wanted was on the answer to the question: "So you're all on board together and looking forward to next year?"

Saying "didn't I just say that?" isn't a yes/no - or a clarified - answer. So Sam says yes, to give him the clarified answer.

It's not even remotely complicated.

I am doing the same thing, been watching Connah's Quay Nomads (my local side) since Fathead took over. Last match of the league season tonight away at Cefn Druids which myself and my sons will be there. Welsh cup final next weekend and a chance to win the trophy which they have won only once in 1929, its been like a breath of fresh air after the dross we have served up the last few seasons.
Connahs Quay Nomarks in the welsh Cup Final. You're coming up in the world aren't you. Ever played in Europe before?

I bet your team is full of scouse amateurs.

Imagine keeping Sam Allardyce when Emery, Tuchel, Fonseca, Blanc, and Silva are all available at the end of the season. Actually imagine it.
No need to imagine,its Everton,and the type of thing we will and can do,even if one of them wanted to come to us,everton frustrate us on every level they can from communication to well everything

No... the clarification the journo wanted was on the answer to the question: "So you're all on board together and looking forward to next year?"

Saying "didn't I just say that?" isn't a yes/no - or a clarified - answer. So Sam says yes, to give him the clarified answer.

It's not even remotely complicated.
Sam said "Clarification? yes"

He didn't say "so for clarification?"
sam replied "yes",
Sam actually said "Clarification? yes"...totally different

Sam basically asked and answered his own question

Sam said "Clarification? yes"

He didn't say "so for clarification?"
sam replied "yes",
Sam actually said "Clarification? yes"...totally different

Sam basically asked and answered his own question

This is word-for-word what was said:

Journo: "So you're all on board together and looking forward to next year?"
Sam: "Didn't I just say that?" *laughs*
Journo: "Just for the sake of clarification"
Sam: "For clarification, yes".

9 mins in:

I think it's possible that we're maybe looking into the language used a bit too much. At face value it would indeed appear that his wording at least has many suggesting that he'll still be here beyond the summer and you can understand that.

But... the fact that it's still not totally clear is what's leaving the situation open to interpretation still.

A very clear and definitive statement from Allardyce would've/should've read something akin to.. "we had a meeting with Farhad and the board in London yesterday and they've made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that I've got their full backing to carry on my work here leading into next season."

So, without that, here's what we have to go on:
  • He entered the press room smiling, commenting on the poor weather and how much better it was "in London yesterday". I wouldnt've thought that there was too much in how he dropped London in there (think a lot of people knew yesterday that the meeting was taking place) but all said and done it wasn't an untypical Allardyce 'mood' going into it;
  • On the initial talk around the meeting, having watched it back, I got the sense that Allardyce kind of knew what he was going to say beforehand. He wasn't so much directly asked by the reporter about how the meeting actually went.. the narrative seemed to be sparked around his suggestion that he perhaps still hadn't received 'clarity' on his position going forward. That's the point where Allardyce somewhat rebuked that suggestion and confirmed that 'some clarity' had been gleaned;
  • Nowhere in the actual narrative that followed did Allardyce confirm, despite talking about 'our' plans for pre-season & player movement during the meeting, that he'd definitely be the one at the helm for this. Even at the end when the reporter followed up before moving on...
    • Reporter: "so you're all on board together and looking forward to next season?
    • Allardyce: "didn't I just say that?" [laughs] - well, not really Sam, hence the need to clarify..
    • Report: "just for the sake of clarification.."
    • Allardyce: [looks down] "clarification? yes"
I don't know really. As others have suggested he just seemed very understated in what he was saying.. you have to assume that if the meeting was unequivocal in establishing that he's done enough to be given next season you feel he would've made a bigger deal about it. As it stands it still leaves doubt over what he's suggesting actually went down.

Last edited:
We all knew before the presser he would do this. He was going to say he's staying regardless. The only thing to worry about was if he came out with specific stuff that was crystal clear and not open to interpretation.

What we got was the expected wind up but made up of "we have clarity" and the usual noise about reducing numbers.

I know we're all traumatised, but relax. At this moment he's far more likely to ne going than staying.

Everton always lacked style under Sam Allardyce, but now they lack substance too - Luke O'Farrell

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...ow-they-lack-substance-too?ex_cid=fw_affid535

Something has to give when Everton travel to Huddersfield on Saturday as the team with the fewest clean sheets away from home visits the team that has failed to score in more home games than any other team this season.

While Huddersfield try to preserve their Premier League status for another season, pressure is off an Everton side with little to play for. This would seem the ideal opportunity to finally loosen the shackles with only three matches left.

At the centre of this issue is manager Sam Allardyce and the age-old debate between style and substance. Recent occupants of the Everton dugout have had too much of one or not enough of either.

Aside from a debilitating inferiority complex against the top teams, something that has worsened under Allardyce, David Moyes brought substance, while the better teams of his 11-year tenure rarely received the credit some of their football deserved.

Moyes' successor Roberto Martinez found the right balance in his first season but a lack of substance cost him in the end. Ronald Koeman appeared on the right path until this promising project fell apart this season.

Everton had rediscovered the defensive resolve that Martinez lost and thrived on the goal scoring of Romelu Lukaku -- there was substance and just enough style in Koeman's debut term. But failure to replace Lukaku after his move to Manchester United sparked a summer of hapless spending that saw Koeman sacked by October as Everton languished 18th in the Premier League and bottom of their Europa League group. There was no style or substance as Everton scored just seven goals in their first nine league goals and shipped too many at the other end.

There were few surprises when Allardyce set about steering Everton away from potential danger. Three important wins were ground out in his first four games. Everton rode their luck at times, but it was a means to an end as Allardyce delivered the wins Koeman and Unsworth could not.

This gave Allardyce a chance to add style to the equation, but the style has never arrived, and substance is dwindling. In the last 17 league games Everton are in the bottom half for points gained and averaging less than a goal a game, scoring only 16 goals in that time.

The way results have tailed off after a strong start highlights the shortcomings of Allardyce's methods. Theo Walcott scored with Everton's first and only shot on target against Newcastle. This lack of attacking threat and persisting defensive vulnerabilities mean Everton continually risk throwing away any winning positions. That is exactly what happened at Swansea in the most recent away outing as Everton surrendered a one-goal lead and dropped two points.

Striker Cenk Tosun has seen more goalmouth action in his own penalty area of late, twice clearing Swansea efforts off the line in the aforementioned 1-1 draw. The Turkish striker has had one worthwhile chance created for him in the last four games, skewing a header wide in the Merseyside derby. No player in the starting XI had fewer touches of the ball against Newcastle.
Since Allardyce took charge, no team has had fewer shots on target at home and only Swansea have had fewer shots and shots on target overall. Everton also rank 19th on chances created and in the bottom half for passing, possession, clear-cut chances created and goals scored across his 21 league games.

This creativity vacuum puts huge pressure on players at both ends of the pitch. Attacking players cannot afford to miss a chance as it may be the only one coming their way. This leads to players snatching at chances as Tosun and Dominic Calvert-Lewin did when wasting clear-cut opportunities in the goalless draw against Liverpool earlier this month.

These attacking deficiencies require the Everton defence to be perfect in every match, but just three clean sheets in the last 16 games shows this asks too much of a defensive unit short on consistency and protection. The substance that heralded five clean sheets in Allardyce's first seven matches in all competitions has faded.

Allardyce prioritises defence but Everton do not defend to the level needed to justify his neglect of attacking aspects. Even when afforded time and space on the ball, there appears no visible plan of attack. Everton racked up 68 percent possession in the first half against Newcastle but reached half-time without a shot on target.

Winning ugly or losing with style are not the only options because style and substance are not mutually exclusive. Allardyce winning ugly is preferable to not winning at all, but five wins in his last 17 games shows Everton are mostly just ugly. Everton need far more style and substance in the long term.

Totally depends how you take the For Clarification bit, personally i think he was given a get out as he stumbled and used the For Clarification but, we just have to agree to disagree and see what happens

9 mins in:

Rubs his nose straight after saying it, which means he's blatantly lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.