Votes: 52 6.0%
  • OUT

Votes: 727 84.4%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 82 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
..others are more knowledgable than me, but I think lots of clubs take the bulk of transfer responsibility away from Managers these days. I think I read a quote from Klopp saying he though Salah was a bit light framed for this league.

Yep, pretty much every major club separate the clubs culture, youth teams, transfers and first team training roles.

They have to work together for it to work.

The fact we've gone Moyes - Martinez - Koeman - Allardyce means we have an absolute mess of a squad.

I keep using the RS as the example but they identified Rodgers styles as fitting with what they wanted then bought in a better version of the same coach in Klopp.

We went Moyes - Martinez which at least had some logic as upgrading the striker and centre mid in year 1 let us improve further. The mistake was trusting Martinez with money and then not replacing him with a better version of his style. Going from him to Koeman wrote off half our squad. Then we had Koeman/Walsh buying players who didn't suit the only formation Koeman played.

All I'll say is that for years the pot bellied proper football men of English football have mocked any type of forward thinking. Particularly Americans getting involved using stats, data analytics, transfer committees etc etc

Meanwhile Roma and Liverpool - both US owned, both "money-ball" teams are in the CL semis

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ames-pallotta-roma-champions-league-liverpool

The one person we have recruited Peter Vint, lasted less than a year before being chased out.

All I'll say is that for years the pot bellied proper football men of English football have mocked any type of forward thinking. Particularly Americans getting involved using stats, data analytics, transfer committees etc etc

Meanwhile Roma and Liverpool - both US owned, both "money-ball" teams are in the CL semis

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ames-pallotta-roma-champions-league-liverpool

The one person we have recruited Peter Vint, lasted less than a year before being chased out.

I would not call Liverpool a “moneyball” team.

As Inunderstand the term, “moneyball” means using data to identify undervalued players.

Liverpool chuck money at anything that moves without much regard to the price.

As Inunderstand the term, “moneyball” means using data to identify undervalued players.

You have just described our transfer dealings under Walsh

Agree that was what it once meant but now I see it as a catch-all phrase for data scouting.

They will pay top whack (VDV) but generally in the last year or two they've made some excellent value signings.

Mane, Salah, Firminho cost less than Sigurdsson, Klaassen, Bolasie.

Naby Keita less than Walcott+Tosun.

Robertson £8m, Keane £25m.

Every one of those players better and younger than our signings for similar money.

Agree that was what it once meant but now I see it as a catch-all phrase for data scouting.

They will pay top whack (VDV) but generally in the last year or two they've made some excellent value signings.

Every one of those players better and younger than our signings for similar money.

Im not sure you understand moneyball.

Salah and Mane were 34m, Firminho was 29m, all of these players cost more than every player we have signed bar Iceland, they signed Keita for 66m, we bought Tosun and Walcott for 47m combined. They got lucky with Salah, the rest of the players they have bought are complete tosh.

It you are making price comparisons to be accurate you now need to look at transfer fees paid in a season.

an average player a fewyears ago was 5 million.that 5 million with new tv deals etc 10 to 15 million.
however i agree we have not been getting value for money

QUOTE="Timak, post: 6265302, member: 1730"]Agree that was what it once meant but now I see it as a catch-all phrase for data scouting.

Every one of those players better and younger than our signings for similar money.[/QUOTE]

They definately were at one point with that whole transfer commitee that they had, Coutinho was the epitome of a moneyball signing, not sure whether they still operate that way as more recent signings suggest they are chucking big money at players such as VVD. Leciester did it though as well with Vardy, Marhez and Kante. This is what annoys me so much about Steve Walsh. He is credited as finding those players but he did'nt, Walsh sat as head of a team made up of a domestic scout, international scout, and a stats guy and they reported back to him and he basically signed off on the deals. I never saw the point in bringing Walsh to the club unless we were going to bring him and his little team all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.