Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 105 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,259 92.3%

• Total voters
not sure but Silva didnt do what it would have taken to get him at the time - its not a given that Moshiri has forgiven him for that.
Moshiri didn't persuade his bosses to release him and that left Silva vulnerable. I think the forgiving to be done (if any is necessary) is by Silva to Moshiri.

Again take nothing away from what Catterick did with us, but was he highly thought of when he came?

I should have said in my Everton lifetime lollol
He was at sheff Wed who were a top team at the time before coming to us and was highly thought of.
Nobody went abroad for managers in them days as planes were only used to drop bombs on Johnny foreigner.
No change there then

Moshiri was willing to pay about £10M to get him here 6 months ago; if he doesn't bring him here for nothing then that just underlines what a loose cannon he is.

Silva is where we are right now. Please dont say you think this club can attract a Fonseca (or better) given where we are? Silva would be appropriate for us.

I can't really split Fonseca and Silva. Silva had a bad 2 months after we enquired, but when you look at Watford, this is what happens to their managers when their players know they are leaving. That bad 2 months has to be balanced against the fact he has a years experience in England, seen the teams play and (at worst) not disgraced himself in his time.

I don't get the dislike of Silva. I think he'd be a smart choice and someone who could hopefully lay down some roots here. Moshiri could do a lot worse, and you're not wrong, that if there's any consistency he goes back to him. If you trust your judgement in business, you don't kneeler following a handful of games. It does make me wonder though, how much thought goes into the initial assessments.

Lets see what happens, if a sacked Manager of Watford is the best we can do, then we might as well just liquidate.

And St mirren sacked Alex Ferguson. Silva was sacked whilst Watford were sitting in the highest position they have ever finished in the EPL, he also has a better win ratio than his successor.

His record outwith England is very comparable to Fonseca in everyway, I'd argue it's better. But yeah he got sacked by Watford.

Last edited:

And St mirren sacked Alex Ferguson. Silva was sacked whilst Watford were sitting in the highest position they have ever finished in the EPL, he also has a better win ratio than this successor.

His record outwith England is very comparable to Fonseca in everyway, I'd argue it's better. But yeah he got sacked by Watford.

I can safely say we wont be appointing Marco Silva.

Take into account back in October when we drew up a shortlist we based it off 2 managers first 10 games in charge in that season. We literally scouted the flavour of the month at the time.

I have zero faith we are scouting a better manager and will probably have the same 2 managers in mind come the summer

Howard wasnt a great manager when he joined us mate, he came from 2nd Division Blackburn, of course he GREW into a great manager, but at the time of his appointment I doubt there was a great deal of "fanfair", cant say I recall the time like.
So Catterick in 1961 was the last time we managed to attract an actual good proven manager.

Interesting.
As long as I've supported Everton and I started when Catterick was here we have always gone for the safe conservative choice with managers never the bold choice, it has been frustrating and I think has cost us over the years.
Kendall showed the the safe choice can work but by god it was by the skin of his teeth in the end.
It is not that we haven't pursued the better manager we have at various times been strongly linked with such as Robson and Clough but we always seemed to balk in the end and revert to the safer less bold choice.

And probably not the thread, but hes a sobering thought, when was the last time Everton appointed a Manager that everybody thought, "hey up", I mean sure people got behind Moyes, Martinez, Koeman and even Big Sam, when they were here, but when was the last time we appointed an actual good Manager?

I personally cant think of 1.
When was the last time we had a billionaire owner (in scale) and simultaneously had a pending stadium build on offer?

Context is key.