Steven Pienaar

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing with Pienaar as a player, his "stats" weren't great. 20 goals and 32 assists in 214 games or something.

But you watch him play, him and Baines down that left were for years our main attacking threat. He'd link play, keep the ball, win fouls, drive attacks. He had a superb football intellect, a great example of a "clever" player.

Pulls the pants down to all the Opta-bells that bang on about "goals" and "assists" when genuine influence on a field for a player in his position can mean more for a team.
Yer abit like are own coutinho

Not as good but in terms of his stats not adding up to his influence

Filed under rat to me, you can all say nice things about him but he binned is for Spurs and more dough. Merncenary ultimately, he fell on his feet with us, he fitted a system very well and complimented Baines, he wasn’t as good or as effective as some make out though. Not a bad player, but certainly not a great one, bad mercenary ultimately.

Pretty much echo everything said already. Watching him was a pleasure.

I recall watching him in one of his early games after he'd signed. Playing in a midfield featuring Neville and Jagielka central and Osman wide right. Baines wasn't at left back. I could tell straight away he was a player by his touch, movement and his attempts to pass and move. But no one was on his wave length. A few games later Cahill, Arteta, and Yakubu were back and we battered Sunderland 7-1.

Just a shame we didn't quite supplement the squad with sufficient quality to bolster us during that period. We had some good players I'd be delighted to have in today's squad.

The thing with Pienaar as a player, his "stats" weren't great. 20 goals and 32 assists in 214 games or something.

But you watch him play, him and Baines down that left were for years our main attacking threat. He'd link play, keep the ball, win fouls, drive attacks. He had a superb football intellect, a great example of a "clever" player.

Pulls the pants down to all the Opta-bells that bang on about "goals" and "assists" when genuine influence on a field for a player in his position can mean more for a team.
Where you getting them stats mert, he had 50 assists alone for us

Filed under rat to me, you can all say nice things about him but he binned is for Spurs and more dough. Merncenary ultimately, he fell on his feet with us, he fitted a system very well and complimented Baines, he wasn’t as good or as effective as some make out though. Not a bad player, but certainly not a great one, bad mercenary ultimately.
lol lol lol lol lol

You salty [Poor language removed]

No

File under things Tom Cleverly likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.