January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No - because many players performed well enough to realise substantial profits for the club. An objective benefit.

Baines cost the club money, has subsequently cost the club even more money, and will likely leave for very little money or just retire, having achieved nothing of note.

RIGHT! What shall we do about him?

Okay if you want to credit one player with the lack of pots a team won, I guess it goes the other way around.
He's raised our profile through Everton in the community for which he has done a huge amount, and of course by being ace at scoring etc which bought us more and better highlights, and viewers, fans, shirt sales, goals, league positions, prize money, sponsorship, sky sports games etc.

Can this be quantified? And if it can, would Baines's contributions be more than his transfer fees + wages across this period?

I'd say probably not.

???

Not a huge amount to be fair. Won nothing at all while he has been here, he's essentially done as much as Bilyaletdinov

However - Football is a team sport that involves entertainment. So had he entertained the fans - I think the answer is yes... doesn't he still hold the record for most assists by a fullback in a season? then there's the free kicks and the penno's - scored a lot of goals for us from the LB position. Finally I might add that if I extend your somewhat spurious argument then no player has done anything for Everton since 1995 if winning something is the only measaure of service to the club.

Can this be quantified? And if it can, would Baines's contributions be more than his transfer fees + wages across this period?

I'd say probably not.

Again only half a question.
If we had a lesser player that bought us less points than Baines did, would the reduction in all the above, including Europe, prize money etc as well as the other players cost not have to be taken into consideration? You can't play with 10 men.

I would suggest having the countries second best Left Back behind Ashley Cole for years has been beneficial, especially when the vast majority of our attack and sexy football came from the Bainaar combo.

Opinion, not fact.
So why do you support Everton none of are players have won anything for so long. your argument that other players are better because they left for a big fee is stupid because Baines could have left to Man U for a profit to Everton. basically you want are better players sold an the ones that aren't weren't good enough great fan you Baines didn't win anything at Everton but he has a lot of goals an assists for the club constantly performed at a high level got an England call up you say that doesn't benfit Everton but how not if he wasn't playing well for Everton he wouldn't have got called up to England.

No - because many players performed well enough to realise substantial profits for the club. An objective benefit.

Baines cost the club money, has subsequently cost the club even more money, and will likely leave for very little money or just retire, having achieved nothing of note.

but any money brought in was wasted cos we still didnt win anything so again no player in the last 23 yrs has done anything of note for us.

We won't be make anymore signings until we've sold someone else to raise funds

This in a nutshell.

Kev has gone on loan, so no cash up front there for us to spend.

I`m with @neil999 on the sale of Niasse being the most likely source of funds for a new left back.

If we had the money to spend on a left back, we`d have one in by now.

They either don`t trust Allardyce with any real money to spend or there isn`t any money for him to spend without selling first.

This in a nutshell.

Kev has gone on loan, so no cash up front there for us to spend.

I`m with @neil999 on the sale of Niasse being the most likely source of funds for a new left back.

...it’s a very interesting point and one that others are making. I’m not particularly disagreeing, but is the view that all incomings are dependent on outgoings or that the funding available was spent on Tosun?

I’m of a view that a specific amount is available to spend, plus any monies from sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.