January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't about David, it's a question of what Baines has done for the club (in terms of tangible achievements) in his time here.

I'd argue nothing special. Played well, scored some winners (so did Bily, Kone etc), but that's about it.
I'm sure he, at least once, knocked on someones door as a surprise, and gave them some tickets or a signed shirt and stuff. This alone deserves respect and free entry into the ledgends club.

Not at all.

The fella said he was grateful to "Bainesy" for everything he has done for the club. I just asked for an objective list of these things.
Bit harsh then. What did you expect him to do on his own? I guess him being a really really good player is what he's done for the club. Confused by this, Orlyfrand.

Called out Martinez as a fraud and helped get him sacked

He deserves the Everton equivalent of a knighthood for that.

However I do think he, along with Jags, have lacked on the personality front despite both being of excellent quality in their primes. Definitely needs replacing now mind.

But again though, the caps are his achievements and well done him, but of little net benefit to Everton. His performances are subjective, some will say good, some will say bad.

What has, definably, Baines accomplished at Everton for the benefit of the club?

Lukaku, you could argue, played well enough to realise a massive profit on his purchase cost. It's a fact that the club profited on his transfer.

Baines has essentially been take, take, take, with a few highlights in return, but nothing tangible.

..i’ve loved watching him but I love watching fine footballers. That’s tangible to me if not to the club. He’s not realised a massive return on transfer or won anything, I suppose similar to the likes of Cahill and many, many others but I think he’s represented value for money. The indication is he played through the pain barrier for a long time when others were less committed to the cause so I think saying he’s ‘take, take, take’ is unfair.

As usual, you and I will have to agree to disagree.

Certainly do - everyone can agree on them.
Gave 100% for 90 minutes and more every game, I still remember Beckfords Bolton goal, the work and determination Baines put in to get the ball back so late in the game summed him up perfectly.
It's not fact, he may of only given 90% for 78 minutes, I dunno, but football's not a spreadsheet and to take the effort and heart of a player out of the equation doesn't really present facts either. You attribute the teams record to a single player but a team with Messi and 10 duds does not make Messi a poor player, he certainly won't win much though...

What is a fact is that until age and injury got him, we were much better with him than without. Baines both was and is ace.

Gave 100% for 90 minutes and more every game, I still remember Beckfords Bolton goal, the work and determination Baines put in to get the ball back so late in the game summed him up perfectly.
It's not fact, he may of only given 90% for 78 minutes, I dunno, but football's not a spreadsheet and to take the effort and heart of a player out of the equation doesn't really present facts either. You attribute the teams record to a single player but a team with Messi and 10 duds does not make Messi a poor player, he certainly won't win much though...

What is a fact is that until age and injury got him, we were much better with him than without. Baines both was and is ace.

Again, subjective, not objective.

This isn't about David, it's a question of what Baines has done for the club (in terms of tangible achievements) in his time here.

I'd argue nothing special. Played well, scored some winners (so did Bily, Kone etc), but that's about it.

He’s consistently been one of our better players. Hardly his fault the board has never managed to give us more than 5-6 quality players.

We should have been targeting both.

Other clubs do multi transfer deals we can't we?

Both positions needed to addressed in equal importance.

We are playing and have played since 26 November a championship standard right back as our first choice left back.

Our only first team left back is 33.

Which other premier league club has done a multi-transfer deal so far this window?

I'm not saying we don't need to be getting one in soon. We definitely do.

But... As far as I'm aware there's five clubs that have done business in the league so far.

Liverpool - VVD, £75m
Everton - Tosun, £25m
Chelsea - Barkley, £15m
H'field - Kongolo, loan
Arsenal - some kid has signed for them

thats pretty much every single player for the last 23 years

No - because many players performed well enough to realise substantial profits for the club. An objective benefit.

Baines cost the club money, has subsequently cost the club even more money, and will likely leave for very little money or just retire, having achieved nothing of note.

Again, subjective, not objective.
Okay if you want to credit one player with the lack of pots a team won, I guess it goes the other way around.
He's raised our profile through Everton in the community for which he has done a huge amount, and of course by being ace at scoring etc which bought us more and better highlights, and viewers, fans, shirt sales, goals, league positions, prize money, sponsorship, sky sports games etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.