2017/18 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really rate Joel, i thought he has been very unlucky to lose his place, but when you spend that amound of money on a goalkeeper, you play him.

Any critisism aimed at him would not happen if he had a secure defence infront of him.

Cortois at chelsea has just kept hi first clean sheet in 9 games, while Nick Pope has kept 5 in his last 9.

A goalkeeper is only as good as the line in front of him, Pickford is not a problem guys, hes top quality but the poor lad has had our back line adn sunderlands back line infront of him in his profesional career

His distribution with his left peg is the best of any keeper in the league mate, with his rigth yeah he sucks on that lol

as for the rushing off hi line, he's doing it because time and again this season the cb's have let people ghost past them for tap ins, they also never ever get onto anything bouncing loose as well, so it's a good sign he's trying to adjust for that and take it into his own hands
lollollol

His distribution with his left peg is the best of any keeper in the league mate, with his rigth yeah he sucks on that lol

as for the rushing off hi line, he's doing it because time and again this season the cb's have let people ghost past them for tap ins, they also never ever get onto anything bouncing loose as well, so it's a good sign he's trying to adjust for that and take it into his own hands
As I said, his distribution can be much better than anyone elses. He has an ability that not many keepers do and that kick out of his hands with the fade is excellent. I wouldn't say his general distribution is particularly special though, he's put plenty of kicks straight out of play with his left foot aswell as his right.

I don't think he rushes off his line a lot to be honest, he had a few aberrations yesterday but it's not something i'm overly concerned with as a rule.

I like him don't get me wrong, but I think some people are so desperate to see him as a great signing that they're not really judging him on his overall performances. As has been said, he has cost us a few goals, and is part of a defensive unit that looks totally shambolic - like it or not he has to take some of the blame for that.

As I said, his distribution can be much better than anyone elses. He has an ability that not many keepers do and that kick out of his hands with the fade is excellent. I wouldn't say his general distribution is particularly special though, he's put plenty of kicks straight out of play with his left foot aswell as his right.

I don't think he rushes off his line a lot to be honest, he had a few aberrations yesterday but it's not something i'm overly concerned with as a rule.

I like him don't get me wrong, but I think some people are so desperate to see him as a great signing that they're not really judging him on his overall performances. As has been said, he has cost us a few goals, and is part of a defensive unit that looks totally shambolic - like it or not he has to take some of the blame for that.

Saw him a fair whack at Sunderland mate, seen every game for us, can honestly say he is the best we have had since Martyn - with the 'potential' to go to be as good as or with luck even better (that's not faint praise as Martyn was brilliant) he won't ever get the levels of Nev ofc - but who will in reality.

Thing that marks him as something special is he has the ability of 'if' he does make an error in a game, it doesn't stick with him - something lots of keepers struggle with, he also for a young lad - has a BIG persona about him on the pitch as well, not afraid to shout and bollock senior pro's, all things mark him as having the right stuff up top/character etc which usually is the fine line separating being a good solid keeper from potentially a great one.

I'm personally not desperate to see him as a great signing - although i do believe he is and will be one for years to come, and so far i don't think he is at all the reason we have lost a single game this season - or dropped points in any.

You really can’t underestimate the importance of a keeper coming to claim the ball like he did late in stoppage time yesterday.

Check out Kennys reaction, it’s absoultey huge having a keeper who is aggressive like that.

On the Joel comparison and their respective seasons.

Joel save percentage 16/17 73%

Pickford save percentage 16/17 73%

Loris, de gea, city's keeper, butland

Butland is a weird one, never seen anything in his distribution that stands out really besides lump it to crouch, De Gea yeah he's good, lloris is fine, Cities keeper is exceptional

Then again Butland aside who i question anyway how good he is, the rest are able to count on either players very good in the air, or at the least ones with dynamic pace such as Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Kane, Alli, or the twenty five million ones at City.

Pickford has earned a reputation based on the blistering pace of Rooney, the aerial ability of DeFoe to aim for etc

Pickford is a good signing of that there is no doubt, however I have noticed that he seems to get a little to over excited coming out of his area sometimes...
I hope our goal keeping coach is telling him to stay in his goal longer to make it harder for the opposition to score, on two occasions yesterday he came rushing out of his goal area like a goalie possessed nearly gifting a goal & giving a penalty away.

He needs to calm down & assess the situation a lot more & not cause panic by making rash decisions, this will come with experience hopefully as he is work in progress.

He's defo done it a few times recently, and he also seems to come out at the wrong angle as well, but he's made a lot more good saves etc than he has crazy blitzes, so I'm cool with it, and like others have said I'm sure he'll learn to curb them/when is the right time.

Had a rash game v Watford ran out in the first half outside his area the pen and thier first goal were shaky decisions by him, great shop stopper, but his command of the defenders is just not there, Robles was far more vocal with virtually the same defence - Robles kept ten clean sheets last season - a good no 2 to come in - thought he should have played at Lyon to take a bit of pressure of Pickford !

Had a rash game v Watford ran out in the first half outside his area the pen and thier first goal were shaky decisions by him, great shop stopper, but his command of the defenders is just not there, Robles was far more vocal with virtually the same defence - Robles kept ten clean sheets last season - a good no 2 to come in - thought he should have played at Lyon to take a bit of pressure of Pickford !

Not a chance.

He's young for a 'keeper and has only ever played behind dodgy defences. He'll benefit from a steady partnership in front of him, probably make less rash decisions if his CBs were more reliable. That ball he collected late in injury time was a good sign for me - understood the situation, handled the pressure and did what he needed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.