Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) His managerial history
2) Taking a historically lower table club up the league and into Europe in his PL season.
3) Taking over over a basket case Everton side, that floundered under Martinez and attaining the goal of European football.
4) Making us competitive last season with a limited squad, basically the same squad that floundered the year before.
5) The development of younger players i.e Davies, Holgate, DCL.
6) He is a very good tactician.

I dont blame him for our current results to be honest, there isnt a manger in the world who could set us up any better, the problem isnt the manager the problem is the club made a mess of the window and we dont have a striker.

No point blaming the captain who is trying to navigate a ship that was given to him with a hole in the bottom.

I back him wholly hes been given the faeces end of the stick by the club.

His record is OK. But every season he seems to have a crisis. Not good enough considering this is now his team. This won't fix itself. Persisting with him is small time and stubborn

Define “excellent manager”, Neil.

In my eyes Pep, Jose, Conte, Wenger, Ancelotti, Emery and fellows of that ilk are “excellent managers”.

Is that your yardstick and if so, do you put Koeman in that category of manager?

There is one defining difference between those managers and Koeman, each have been given the ability to play their team with a striker of their choosing that is not the case at Everton.

We look exactly what we are a very good team that has no striker, i think any of those managers would be pulling similar results given that context.

Had we a striker, do i think we would be competing with Utd, City and Arsenal, absolutely.

His record is OK. But every season he seems to have a crisis. Not good enough considering this is now his team. This won't fix itself. Persisting with him is small time and stubborn

I dont agree with that personally i think he has been let down by the club, look our peers say Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea were all given the opportunity to sign a striker, Lukaku, Laczette and Morata.

I dont see another manager changing the basic underlying problem.

If we had signed any of those we are a different team and Koeman is a good manager again. Its that simple really.

I said at time it was the height of idiocy selling Lukaku its, proven to be the case, it was utter luancay and probably the most stupid decision in Everton PL history not to sign any striker.

What did people expect to happen.

I dont blame Koeman at all.

We are not a bad team, we are a team with no striker.

There is one defining difference between those managers and Koeman, each have been given the ability to play their team with a striker of their choosing that is not the case at Everton.

We look exactly what we are a very good team that has no striker, i think any of those managers would be pulling similar results given that context.

Had we a striker, do i think we would be competing with Utd, City and Arsenal, absolutely.

This is not about what I think, Neil.

You have stated, categorically and on several occasions that Koeman is an “excellent manager”.

I have listed several current managers the average football fan might consider to be “excellent” managers.

Is it your opinion that Koeman is a manager worthy of being linked with such luminaries of the game?

The thing is though Zatara, Gana only needs to tackle if he's got someone alongside him to be the playmaker or box to box midfielder, all that playing Schneiderlin alongside does is nullify both of them and makes them less effective. I've been quite hard on Schneiderlin recently but I believe the formation suits neither himself or Gana and both are suffering.

Play one or the other alongside someone who can either pass a ball or carry a ball and it would be much more balance. Only my ha'penny worth, I'm no coach, I have watched a lot of years worth of football to deduce some things though.

On another note, disappointed not to have heard of his resignation this morning.

Neither carry the ball, pass it forwards or offer protection to the defence. They both need a massive kick up the arsenal

You have stated, categorically and on several occasions that Koeman is an “excellent manager”.

I have listed several current managers the average football fan might consider to be “excellent” managers.

Is it your opinion that Koeman is a manager worthy of being linked with such luminaries of the game?

After reading some of those replies he has just written, I wouldn't even bother, never read such tosh in my life.

The money we have wasted is absolutely frightening. I thought Martinez left Koeman with a load of dross, but we now have a load of over-priced, over-paid dross that we will never be able to move on.

Signings reviewed:
  • Schneiderlin. Never got the hype last season. Average passing, average tackling; poor man's Barry. C
  • Lookman. Always looks dangerous and we are crying out for him to be given a run in the team. Only reason I can see that he doesn't get a game is because he is clearly a Walsh signing. B
  • Rooney. Didn't want him to come back, don't want him now. D
  • Sigurdsson. We sign Klassan, then Rooney... and then we insist on pursuing this over-priced set-piece taker for 5 weeks. Will go down as one of the worst signings of all time. E- When is Barkley fit?
  • Pickford. Decent and lots of potential. Would rather we got Timo Horn. B+
  • Martina. Worst player I have ever seen in Royal Blue... and I saw Claus Thomsen and Alec Clelland. U
  • Vlasic. Looks decent and was Split's standout player. Also suspect this is a Walsh signing. A
  • Keane. Decent and steady. B
Cant even be arsed if i forgot anyone.

I didnt ask what you think mate. Yes i think he is an excellent manager.

I suppose when you look at him Vs Pep hes shown his astuteness, the hammering last year and with City beating teams on average by five goals the away draw is a good example of good tactics, given the deck stacked in Citys favour

Its a surprisingly very one dimensional question from you for a multi faceted issue mate given the context. A bit group thinky.

Last edited:

1) His managerial history
2) Taking a historically lower table club up the league and into Europe in his PL season.
3) Taking over over a basket case Everton side, that floundered under Martinez and attaining the goal of European football.
4) Making us competitive last season with a limited squad, basically the same squad that floundered the year before.
5) The development of younger players i.e Davies, Holgate, DCL.
6) He is a very good tactician.

I dont blame him for our current results to be honest, there isnt a manger in the world who could set us up any better, the problem isnt the manager the problem is the club made a mess of the window and we dont have a striker.

No point blaming the captain who is trying to navigate a ship that was given to him with a hole in the bottom.

I back him wholly hes been given the faeces end of the stick by the club.

I'm not sure we're watching the same team or manager in 'action'

The money we have wasted is absolutely frightening. I thought Martinez left Koeman with a load of dross, but we now have a load of over-priced, over-paid dross that we will never be able to move on.

Signings reviewed:
  • Schneiderlin. Never got the hype last season. Average passing, average tackling; poor man's Barry. C
  • Lookman. Always looks dangerous and we are crying out for him to be given a run in the team. Only reason I can see that he doesn't get a game is because he is clearly a Walsh signing. B
  • Rooney. Didn't want him to come back, don't want him now. D
  • Sigurdsson. We sign Klassan, then Rooney... and then we insist on pursuing this over-priced set-piece taker for 5 weeks. Will go down as one of the worst signings of all time. E- When is Barkley fit?
  • Pickford. Decent and lots of potential. Would rather we got Timo Horn. B+
  • Martina. Worst player I have ever seen in Royal Blue... and I saw Claus Thomsen and Alec Clelland. U
  • Vlasic. Looks decent and was Split's standout player. Also suspect this is a Walsh signing. A
  • Keane. Decent and steady. B
Cant even be arsed if i forgot anyone.

You mentioned Klaassen but don't review him. Interested to see your review of him

Status
Not open for further replies.