Everton v Stoke City... Match report and MotM Poll..

Everton Man of the Match

• Jordan Pickford

Votes: 58 11.3%
  • Leighton Baines

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Ashley Williams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phil Jagielka

• Michael Keane

Votes: 24 4.7%
  • Idrissa Gana Gueye

Votes: 127 24.8%
  • Morgan Schneiderlin

• Davy Klaassen

• Sandro Ramirez

• Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • Wayne Rooney

Votes: 287 56.1%
  • Cuco Martina

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Tom Davies

• Kevin Mirallas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooney for a majestic second half performance. He was dire in the first apart from the goal, but once he scored that he visibly settled down and imposed his class on the game.

The change of tactics might have helped his game as well. I gave MOTM to Gana but don't begrudge Wayne the award.

..agreed but a couple of points: I like a manager who is single minded, he does what he thinks is right even if we all disagree; he did change thing at half-time and then brought Davies on, so he clearly is managing the game.

Some of his decisions and tactics, though, are bizarre. I just hope he stumbles on the right blend, it might be by luck as much as judgement (injuries and suspensions).

We all know that Calvert Lewin is much better as a striker rather than a winger/ wing back, yet Koeman keeps playing him
there, same as we know that he hasn't got the players on the books to play three at the back, yet he still tries it even though it is obvious that Williams and Jagielka don't want the ball and are very poor bringing the ball out of defence, they are stoppers pure and simple.

We all know that Calvert Lewin is much better as a striker rather than a winger/ wing back, yet Koeman keeps playing him
there, same as we know that he hasn't got the players on the books to play three at the back, yet he still tries it even though it is obvious that Williams and Jagielka don't want the ball and are very poor bringing the ball out of defence, they are stoppers pure and simple.

...yesterday's formation totally confused me.

DCL is currently the only conventional back to goal striker we have so for that reason alone he has to play furthest man forward.

We weren't fantastic, but Stoke rarely looked like scoring so its a solid foundation to build on.

I'm unsure about Schneidlerin and Gueye in the same team (unless playing a top 6 side) since it slows our possession down. I would like to see a midfield of Gueye, Davies and Klaassen when playing a lower team at some point.

Lots of performances to be happy with though, Rooney, Gueye, DCL, Pickford and Keane all looked very good.

Citeh then Chelski punctuated twice by Split. Interesting couple of weeks in which we need to bed in quickly. Stoke were poor so I dont hold out too much from this although lots of positives. Next few games will set the tone for the season for me. Get through in Europa and stay unbeaten in the league will be i good start.

Performance didn't matter yesterday. All that mattered was 3 points.

Rooney's finish was superb. I am
Still not convinced by him though, he can't play every game.

It's nice to have a manager who doesn't dither when things aren't working, and who admits, even to supporters, when he gets it wrong. Koeman switched it up immediately after the first half yesterday. Martinez, god bless, didn't really adjust after two years of stagnation.

As I'm sure a thousand fumers observed as soon as the team sheet came out, Calvert-Lewin as a wing-back was just odd. I had though it would in practice it would be more like a front three, with DCL up alongside Rooney and Sandro, but apart from the goal itself, we just couldn't find space for him up there. He can do many things, but bringing down 50+ yard hoofs from Keane along the touchline is not one of them.

We just had no idea how to get it forward with the back three. Keane mostly just hoofed, and Jagielka on the other hand often found himself having to start the attack from just across the halfway line. He probably got slated on here, but its not really his fault that he's being asked to play so far out of his proper position. We barely controlled anything at all in their half the entire first 45.

Things were so much better, obviously, in the second half - though with the caveat of course that the goal opened things up enormously. Martina was actually decent at getting into good position, though he makes a lot of mistakes on the ball and is an indifferent defender. It's hard to imagine why Kenny isn't getting a chance, though I don't doubt the people who actually watch him train have their reasons.

Calvert-Levin, despite his scrawniness against the Stoke CB ogres, was actually fairly impressive at holding the ball up and distributing in the second half, and made some clever runs too. I hope it's the last time he gets banished out to the wings.

Gana was brilliant and probably of greater value yesterday than Rooney, but Wayne got the goal and was no slouch either - so MOTM for me. I wonder what a heat map would look like. He was everywhere, almost like a box-to-box player - though not a defensive asset, mind. I was pretty dubious about the signing, but if he can keep that up, I'm all in. He just seemed to always be there to knit things together - actually, a bit like Barkley, though even without looking to shoot immediately, like Barkley always does just before row-Zedding it, Wayne as a midfielder is also still a much greater threat to score.

Pickford. That save was as good as a goal.

Rooney, Gana, DCL, Keane all solid.

Underwhelming performance from Schneiderlin, Williams and Klaassen.

Davies good when he came on, made space for Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.