January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said it before but what we really should have done these 4 months is ear mark exactly what players we are signing and get them deals very close before we can make them official. An intelligent club in our position does not sign first team players from lesser clubs, nor does it waste time chasing players who don't want to come to as struggling team, it signs players who are unwanted where they are but have lots of potential.

the best example i can ever think of was couthino and sturridge to them lot. they failed in the summer, so worked on two players out of favour where they were and secured them quite quick after deadline day. would both of them walk into our team both then and now? Probably, certainly in one case, and both were signed as out of sorts/unwanted players.

and the real kicker is that we are paying someone to actually control all of this so we can only hope that is what he is doing. Not messing about with finding unknown players as such but finding the right players at the right price who are available right now, and to form a first team for the next 5 years so to speak.

all theoretical of course but it would serve much better value for money and potentially a better strategy than compared to the summer where we paid the asking price on face value for players who were not always the 'right' player.

Considering Walsh's reputation as being able to sign players to play the system at the club, i am hoping this becomes the case over the next few years.

....I disagree that we shouldn't sign first team players from lesser clubs or try and convince those who indicate they don't want to come here. We should be looking to bring in the players RK and SW want regardless of their current situation including players with potential who are not currently in favour.

We shouldn't restrict our ability to bring in who we want by limiting our search to one category.

I think as well that the Sturridge deal was done and medical complete and he signed within 48 hours of the transfer window opening, exactly what we need to do with lets say Schneiderlin if the rumours a true.
exactly yeah, if only the depay deal just confirm it as soon as we can and give us a little bit of a lift with a new player after the christmas slog. Be boss if the FA cup game had him making his debut for us.

Just a lift all round, think that is what we forget as blues, we rarely ever get the lift from a new player, when you see half of them not even playing. Traore was exciting for 5 minutes, but from living memory we would have to go back to jelavic and before him Donovan as players who lifted the club.

exactly yeah, if only the depay deal just confirm it as soon as we can and give us a little bit of a lift with a new player after the christmas slog. Be boss if the FA cup game had him making his debut for us.

Just a lift all round, think that is what we forget as blues, we rarely ever get the lift from a new player, when you see half of them not even playing. Traore was exciting for 5 minutes, but from living memory we would have to go back to jelavic and before him Donovan as players who lifted the club.

@Moomin
Called it.

....I disagree that we shouldn't sign first team players from lesser clubs or try and convince those who indicate they don't want to come here. We should be looking to bring in the players RK and SW want regardless of their current situation including players with potential who are not currently in favour.

We shouldn't restrict our ability to bring in who we want by limiting our search to one category.
It isn't just one category though, when you consider how many clubs and how many players are in the game.

There is the hidden gems part sure, but how many 'failed' players in one league been successes in others over the years? I personally believe signing players who are fringe players where they are as long as we have identified them, is not a bad idea. It is kinda like signing bale at spurs when he was on the fringes there, chamberlain a couple months ago, those sorts of situations. Good players, who can't get a game for whatever reason.

Agree, The club/fans need a lift and an early signing in Jan will give some of us optimism, an impact player like little Gana.. although we will still have some fans that love wallowing in negativity!

It isn't just one category though, when you consider how many clubs and how many players are in the game.

There is the hidden gems part sure, but how many 'failed' players in one league been successes in others over the years? I personally believe signing players who are fringe players where they are as long as we have identified them, is not a bad idea. It is kinda like signing bale at spurs when he was on the fringes there, chamberlain a couple months ago, those sorts of situations. Good players, who can't get a game for whatever reason.

...I don't disagree with this being a potentially lucrative area but we need to exploit all avenues. The market you highlight will also produce failures but I'm sure it's one we consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.