How Scouse is the Scouse Derby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostOfDixie

Player Valuation: £70m
With all the talk about local pride and such, how much of the players who play actually have any local pride, or is just rivalry learnt, rather than bred.

They say it's the friendly derby but it doesn't feel like it at the moment. When did it all go nasty? Or was it always nasty?

I remember going to my first Derby with my old man (Kopite), and Wayne Clarke scored, I remember looking into the Kop and seeing loads of Blues everywhere.

Yesterday it looked like we were just in one place.

I know things change from a seating point of view - but it's definitely evil these days.

They look for any excuse to call us Bitter, and we look for any excuse to call them Knuts.

So how Scouse is the derby?

1986 Cup final.

Everton - 16% Scouse
Liverpool - 8% Scouse

1989 Cup final.

Everton - 8%
Liverpool - 23%

1984 Milk Cup final.

Everton - 33%
Liverpool - 8%

1966 Charity Shield

Everton - 33%
Liverpool - 33%

Recent Derby
(complete squad selected)

Everton - 11%
Liverpool - 11%

Interesting to see that even back in the 60's the sides were largely made up of outsiders to the city.

To be honest I was surprised by my own findings here - I thought we would have more than 11% on show the other day - and 8% in the 89 cup final really surprised me.

So in essence the Merseyside derby is not really that local.

So what is it then? Where does all this needle come from?

I personally believe it is down to the managers, and notably Rafael for his comments - and that lit the blue touch paper.

It could also be from what happened in 85, and that caused some massive frustrations.

All I know is that emotions run far too high on the day, and certainly following it I could have taken on any one I was that annoyed.

Not good for your health this game.

I think the local thing refers to the support more than the players mate.

As for it going all nasty and [Poor language removed] and stuff. Who knows?

Some people are bad pricks these days, both sides.

I think the local thing refers to the support more than the players mate.

As for it going all nasty and [Poor language removed] and stuff. Who knows?

Some people are bad pricks these days, both sides.

Yeah I know - but they always talk about local lads playing in it, and really there hasn't been that many.

In recent years you have the likes of:

Peter Reid, Alan Harper, Degsy, Ablett, Aldridge, McMahon, Gerrard, Carragher, Baines, Anichebe,

Can't think of anymore.

Yeah I know - but they always talk about local lads playing in it, and really there hasn't been that many.

In recent years you have the likes of:

Peter Reid, Alan Harper, Degsy, Ablett, Aldridge, McMahon, Gerrard, Carragher, Baines, Anichebe,

Can't think of anymore.

Dave Watson, Jeffers, Rooney, Hibbert, Rodwell....*ad nauseum*

when they put seats in the stadiums, the crowds became less mixed. then when stadiums became sold out week after week there became no mixing, to the point now that you get lobbed out if you go in each others ends.

it makes the atmos. very partizan, i used to love going in their end and tbh it didn't bother me that they were in our ends, although it used to brass me off that they would accumulate right behind the g.s. goal in full view.

You horror. He was a key player when we finished seventh.

His control was like one of those elephants forced to play football. It hit his leg and finished 50yrds away. Difference is, they chase after the ball, he stood there with his hands on his hips wonder what the hell was going on.

His control was like one of those elephants forced to play football. It hit his leg and finished 50yrds away. Difference is, they chase after the ball, he stood there with his hands on his hips wonder what the hell was going on.

Are you sure you haven't confused him with Nyarko?

Was he really that [Poor language removed] and my mind has papered over it?

Status
Not open for further replies.