How Scouse is the Scouse Derby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's something blues cite now but I doubt it was that.

It was.

Prior to Heysel we always knew that, though they were in the ascendancy from the mid seventies through the mid eighties, we would turn things round.

And we had by 1985, when Everton's time had come.

Then Heysel happened and Everton, along with United and others, found thenselves banned from Europe through no fault of their own.

There was a daft midweek competition set up for the clubs banned from Europe called the Screen Sport Cup (Screen Sport was a satellite sports channel, a forerunner of Sky and BSB).

It featured Everton, Liverpool, United and Norwich City, who had won the Milk or Rumbelows or Littlewoods or whatever Cup that year.

We played Liverpool in the two legged "semi final" and they started taunting us about not playing in the European Cup.

(that Steaua Bucharaet banner is part of the same Kopite mindset)

Anyway, we started chanting "Murderers, murderers" at them and from that day on I detected a nastiness creeping in on derby day.

Just my own opinion, of course.

I can appreciate it means so much to those on Merseyside or more so those that were born in the vicinity.

Still can't beat the feeling when we beat that shower, regardless of whether you're from Walton, wavertree or Wisconsin.

maybe next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.