Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I'm retired so I sometimes have thoughts like "What's the point in getting up today?" or "What's the point in painting this room? Hardly anyone ever sees this room."

My worst negative thought was last week and I had it constantly: "I'm feeling down. Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow, but why should I endure this bad feeling? Why don't I just end it all? What is the point of being alive?"

Thankfully I have never come close to acting upon said thoughts.

I'm retired so I sometimes have thoughts like "What's the point in getting up today?" or "What's the point in painting this room? Hardly anyone ever sees this room."

My worst negative thought was last week and I had it constantly: "I'm feeling down. Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow, but why should I endure this bad feeling? Why don't I just end it all? What is the point of being alive?"

Are you alone mate?

ok mate.

you mentioned you were retired, so what do you do normally of a day? What do you occupy yourself with?

I'm in in a place in my mind now where I think that I've gone as far as I can with the counselling.

I've been going for a while, and I'm still as massively depressed now as I was before it.

I'm 23 years old and the thought of having to live for another 50+ years this way seems like hell.

Never.

My counsellor is a really lovely woman, I don't see how I could do better.

It is me as a person.

I have a lot of things going for me, but it's like it doesn't even matter. Anything that is good will only ever be short lived. Been this way since I was about 15.

Why mate? Why do you feel like that?

I'm not asking for what is wrong with you, i am asking specifically why you feel like that. What is it that puts that thought in your head? What is it that genuinely puts you down? there is always a reason behind it, easy part is feeling it, the hardest part is knowing why.

So why do you feel like nothing is positive or good things don't last?

No, I don't live alone mate. And I haven't had the suicidal negative thoughts for a good few days. But they are crippling when they hit you.

Ok mate we know you you're retried and you don't live alone,for starters as previously suggested please talk to someone about how you're feeling and move forward from there,you've been decorating so I presume you are fairly able,would a part time job help you get out and meet people and occupy your mind more? voluntary work ,help in the community,simple long walks getting you out and about exercising your body and mind.

I will be retiring in 3 years and I'm trying to think ahead,from doing little or no exercise in May I started walking miles at a time in the local neighbourhood,landmarks and countryside which I am fortunate to live next to,it gave me time to think away from my normal routine,made me feel better about myself and I've lost a stone and a half into the bargain,I certainly feel more that life is worth living than I ever did.

Good luck George we are right here with you,make small positive steps forward and it is possible to see things a lot clearer and change things for the better but please talk to someone who you can confide in and help you,keep us posted.

Why mate? Why do you feel like that?

I'm not asking for what is wrong with you, i am asking specifically why you feel like that. What is it that puts that thought in your head? What is it that genuinely puts you down? there is always a reason behind it, easy part is feeling it, the hardest part is knowing why.

So why do you feel like nothing is positive or good things don't last?
There is a person in my life who isn't good for me, yet I can't let go of it.

The moment I begin to imagine life without them, they snap their fingers and I'm running back to them.

bit of a random post like so sorry in advance.

I have been having bad dreams recently. But not scary ones, just bad ones, ones where i am stressed or worried or something. Seem to happen on a nightly basis now, where instead of not remembering anything i am waking up with this stressful or worrying feelings from the dream. I can dismiss it and get on with the morning but yeah, it is a bit odd as normally i don't have dreams like that let alone repeatedly.

Looking into it, says a reason could be anxiety, but i don't feel like i have that, although have a few things over the coming weeks including a wedding/stag do (which right now i have no guests bar family) and the scotland trip. So yeah, slightly concerned right now, especially if i have anxiety and don't even realise it.

There is a person in my life who isn't good for me, yet I can't let go of it.

The moment I begin to imagine life without them, they snap their fingers and I'm running back to them.
Ok what is keeping you with them? You say they snap their fingers, what are they using against you? Why are they not good for you?

I am trying to help here, not trying to come across as aggressive haha

Ok what is keeping you with them? You say they snap their fingers, what are they using against you? Why are they not good for you?

I am trying to help here, not trying to come across as aggressive haha
Habit I suppose.

It was a friendship that turned into something a lot more.

Now it is just manipulation.

Everytime something bad happens, I think of all the good times. That's not to say they're the same person now as they was then.

Habit I suppose.

It was a friendship that turned into something a lot more.

Now it is just manipulation.

Everytime something bad happens, I think of all the good times. That's not to say they're the same person now as they was then.
Well then to be blunt, that is your answer. You want to shake the feeling then get rid of the thing causing the problems.

Just to put it into a massive perspective here. Do you think it is normal to be in a relationship where you are made to feel like that? Is that what you think love is meant to feel like? When will it end? Married? Kids? More ways to trap you in that respect. Then the feeling will get worse and worse as time goes on before you finally get away at 45 and then realise your life has gone past and you did nothing with it.

Like me personally, sometimes i genuinely do have thoughts about what might have been. what if i didn't get with my partner, what about all the things i could have done, or seen the life my friends live and want that instead, what about all the girls i could have got with etc. That will always be a hang up for me, i accept that, but i chose to be there for my son and i chose to stick with my partner through all the bad times, which most people would walk away from because i saw change in her, i saw how much she genuinely loves me, and come the end of the day, if i spend the rest of my life with someone who isn't my perfect hollywood wife but just someone who loves me very much then i can accept that.

Seems like i have gone off point there but i'll explain the point of that story. Does your other half feel like that for you? Do they genuinely love you to that extent or are they just keeping you around for the convenience of it? Because what i know right now is that even if we are arguing, she will be sitting there at 12 o clock at night sewing some keks for me for work the next day. Would your other half hyperthetically do that?

Because genuinely mate, you don't want to ever feel like you have to be with someone because you don't. you say it is manipulative and not the same person as they used to be? then oyu are in a relationship with essentially young love which has developed into what the real person is. You don't like the real person? then don't be with them, as simple as that may be, you are not trapped.

and these feelings you have? would you still feel them if you were lying next to someone who did genuinely make you happy? Holding someone who isn't anything like who you are with now?

Again mate, don't take that as aggressive because it really isn't, just typing what is in my head. But i implore you, don't stay in a relationship that makes you miserable or gives you any feelings like you are going through. Life is too short to be like that. My dad was never there when i was a baby because he chose to walk away from a very complicated situation, and life went on for everyone. Point is, walking away is never the end of the world and especially when you keep in mind there is someone right for you out there just waiting to meet you.

bit of a random post like so sorry in advance.

I have been having bad dreams recently. But not scary ones, just bad ones, ones where i am stressed or worried or something. Seem to happen on a nightly basis now, where instead of not remembering anything i am waking up with this stressful or worrying feelings from the dream. I can dismiss it and get on with the morning but yeah, it is a bit odd as normally i don't have dreams like that let alone repeatedly.

Looking into it, says a reason could be anxiety, but i don't feel like i have that, although have a few things over the coming weeks including a wedding/stag do (which right now i have no guests bar family) and the scotland trip. So yeah, slightly concerned right now, especially if i have anxiety and don't even realise it.

It's all the big stuff that's coming up in the future, that's playing on your mind Ash. It's only natural for it to pop into your dreams. It'll go once your married.

Or maybe you could start a special @Ashtonian dreams thread to help yourself ?