New Everton Stadium Discussion

I think I should have used the sarcasm font. I was arguing against the ridiculous idea that four separate stands generate great atmospheres and that bowl stadiums are incapable of doing so. The people inside the stadium generate the atmosphere, not the stands.

I think we should design whatever is considered to be the at the forefront of modern stadium design. I have no idea why people are advocating inferior options that replicate Ewood Park or The New Den. Most big clubs go for modern designs.

There is something non-architectural that can be done to help the atmosphere and that would be to use the stadium move to ask people where in the ground they really want to be and try and put people who want to sing and make a noise together in the new ground. People who want to take their young family or older folks who don't want to stand up all the time can sit somewhere else in the ground.

Now that we sell so many season tickets, it can be really difficult to move places in Goodison. You've possibly got people who've sat in the Lower Gwladys since the 1990's who are now a bit older and don't necessarily want to be there. Then there'll be young pissed up lads who want to sing that are stuck in the Lower Bullens cos that's the only place they could get a ticket. The inflexibility of all-seater stadiums where you have to sit in the seat your allocated means it's damn hard for singing sections to come together. Before anyone shouts this down as some sort of plazzy Crystal Palace Ultras thing, what do you think used to happen on the old terraces? Those who want to sing would congregate together.

Apparently, a lot of the problems West Ham have had with their move is that they've just chucked everyone in any old place so you've got scallies sat with families meaning people have been getting upset with the bad language or persistent standing. A bit of planning means we can use the stadium move as an opportunity to try to improve the atmosphere.

There is something non-architectural that can be done to help the atmosphere and that would be to use the stadium move to ask people where in the ground they really want to be and try and put people who want to sing and make a noise together in the new ground. People who want to take their young family or older folks who don't want to stand up all the time can sit somewhere else in the ground.

Now that we sell so many season tickets, it can be really difficult to move places in Goodison. You've possibly got people who've sat in the Lower Gwladys since the 1990's who are now a bit older and don't necessarily want to be there. Then there'll be young pissed up lads who want to sing that are stuck in the Lower Bullens cos that's the only place they could get a ticket. The inflexibility of all-seater stadiums where you have to sit in the seat your allocated means it's damn hard for singing sections to come together. Before anyone shouts this down as some sort of plazzy Crystal Palace Ultras thing, what do you think used to happen on the old terraces? Those who want to sing would congregate together.

Apparently, a lot of the problems West Ham have had with their move is that they've just chucked everyone in any old place so you've got scallies sat with families meaning people have been getting upset with the bad language or persistent standing. A bit of planning means we can use the stadium move as an opportunity to try to improve the atmosphere.

Absolutely spot on there. If any consultation with the fans is done, then I hope it is related to that. We should aim to cater for those trying to create a better atmosphere and it seems a fairly simple consultation to have. There needs to be an equivalent of the Lower Gwladys and other parts of the ground set aside for those wanting a different match day experience.

It seems such a simple and necessary conversation to have when moving grounds but some clubs seem to neglect or forget about it like West Ham.

It could set our new ground apart from the rest as well as the atmosphere seems to be lacking in so many of these modern Stadiums.

I think I should have used the sarcasm font. I was arguing against the ridiculous idea that four separate stands generate great atmospheres and that bowl stadiums are incapable of doing so. The people inside the stadium generate the atmosphere, not the stands.

I think we should design whatever is considered to be the at the forefront of modern stadium design. I have no idea why people are advocating inferior options that replicate Ewood Park or The New Den. Most big clubs go for modern designs.

I think a lot is lost in translation to be honest, I believe at least 95 percent want the same thing, which is similar to Dortmund's or Juventus or Schalke's and that is a complete stadium just with almost 90 degree corners instead of the longer radius corners you get with a 'true bowl' shaped stadium such as the Emirates. I tend to agree whether it's Juventus stadium or the Emirates there both bowls just of different shapes!! However no one wants the generic bowl like St Mary's as it looks dull dull dull inside.

At least that's what I hope people are thinking anyhow...

The exterior is very Meccano set for Xmas looking.
It could be done with more of a flourish, the exterior, I grant you.

Imagine something like the brand spanking new Bordeaux stadium exterior (below) designed by Herzog...only larger with three tiers.

It'd be a masterpiece and retain the classical shape of a football ground.

Bordeaux-Stadium_Herzog_de-Meuron_dezeen_784_5.jpg

Bordeaux-Stadium_Herzog_de-Meuron_dezeen_784_6.jpg

Bordeaux-Stadium_Herzog-de-Meuron_dezeen_468_1.jpg

I like that stadium. The corners could be filled in, it always seems to me there is a distinct lack of imagination in design when it comes to this element of stadia - there is scope for innovative illuminated displays at each corner and/or video boards. You don't want to make it too snazzy but an illuminated club crest for example could be put to good use at one or even all four of the corners. It would add another element of uniqueness and innovation. I do think the design needs to incorporate one or more unique design elements in addition to features that are uniquely Everton. This needs to stand out for both blue and non-blue alike.
Yeah, so do I. I'd also bear in mind though that any traditional shaped stadium that was around the 65-70,000 capacity mark on a waterfront site in the port of Liverpool would ensure it was unique almost regardless of what could be done with interior/exterior innovation.

ask people where in the ground they really want to be and try and put people who want to sing and make a noise together in the new ground

We could break it down into different genre areas as well - a little punk section next to musicals to balance that up - Mods (not the forum police type) and rockers next to each to generate some scrapping like they do at West Ham - Perhaps both primary music genres Country being one and Western being the other could be put together to form a Country & Western section!

We could break it down into different genre areas as well - a little punk section next to musicals to balance that up - Mods (not the forum police type) and rockers next to each to generate some scrapping like they do at West Ham - Perhaps both primary music genres Country being one and Western being the other could be put together to form a Country & Western section!
Erm, yeah mate, that's exactly what I meant

<DAFUQ>

Strange really, but I always thought the idea was to watch what's happening on the pitch as a priority, rather than chanting meaningless dirges or drinking to excess.

Yeah, so do I. I'd also bear in mind though that any traditional shaped stadium that was around the 65-70,000 capacity mark on a waterfront site in the port of Liverpool would ensure it was unique almost regardless of what could be done with interior/exterior innovation.
As would a bowl of the same dimensions.

One thing we have to remember when it comes to the design is being right on the river bank it is open to the wind, so everything has to be closed off, no open corners, nothing that creates a wind tunnel, need to keep the turbulence down or the ball will be going all over the place, fans blown into the docks and the roof will fly off.

I think if you look at the West and Beetham towers you can see the curve on them, our stadium will have to be curve I reckon for this reason.

Some of these stands shown on this thread show areas that are open to wind so might look great but wont work on a river bank.

I'm not sure that's true. One of the ways of making the interior of the stadium stand out is different seating configurations in each stand thereby getting away from the bland concentric circles (ovals) of seating often seen with the mid level executive boxes/executive seating. so for example having one end a huge single tier stand with no executive seating, maybe have an executive seating block centred on one of the side stands rather than running around the stadium (preferably the same stand as is used by TV companies.

The beauty about using Meis is that his studio appears to not view things conventionally, and he's already indicated that energy, an acknowledgement of the past and atmosphere are very important considerations in his design work.
Still just banks of seats though. With truly iconic stadia like the Lucas Oil, the exterior build drives the interior layout (or vice versa, I guess) with that massive window and towering side stands. But by and large, stadia have banks of seats with corpy boxes incorporated somewhere. Two tiers vs one tier, it's all much of a muchness.

As would a bowl of the same dimensions.
I think we have to avoid anything like that shape.

If these people hired to design any future stadium are at all in touch with the wishes of the fanbase of this club they;ll know by now that we want a traditional shaped classic football ground, not some space age monstrosity that becomes a laughing stock ten years later.

Remember when that architect, Will Alsop, designed "The Cloud" to stand next to the Three Graces a decade or so back and there was an outcry? = same principle. I know there's the Liverpool Museum down there now that is slightly out there in terms of the other buildings, but it still maintains the integrity of the angular shapes.

That's what we must do too. No 'concepts' thanks. Just a huge three tier four sided stadium that frightens the life out of the opposition rather than make them laugh when they approach it.