New Everton Stadium Discussion

I like Dortmund's stadium but Dan Meis is not going to be designing a traditional stadium, just look at his work.

I reckon something along the lines of this.

Aerial.0.jpg

I like that saying ;)

As for Dortmund's stadium, what makes that is the fans. As a structure its fairly ugly, with stands and corners all cobbled together having expanded over the years. No architect in their right mind would design that from scratch. Give me a bigger version of Bordeaux, or else Lyon (with a nicer roof) any day.

Lyon's new stadium is a good, tight bowl, but externally it's turned into a mess (especially when compared with the early renders). Populous were the architects, same as Spurs new stadium.

Bordeux's new stadium is stunning externally. Herzog & de Meuron designed, same as Chelsea's new stadium. Seating bowl a bit closer to four-stands than most new builds but actually looks a bit generic to my eye.

View attachment 30035 View attachment 30036 View attachment 30037 View attachment 30038 View attachment 30039 View attachment 30038 I've posted about this ground before, just find it a wonderful venue with a unique style to it. All corners filled in but still got terrific steep stands. Smart retractable roof as well - an absolute necessity for the docks, surely.
Just check out the colours.... Smooth, man...real smooooooth.

That scoreboard as well though... boss.

Looks great that. Capacity is 54,740 which would be a great starting point with a view to expand at a later time.

That's also 700 higher than the RS' expanded Anfield, and that would wind them up as we only ever do anything with them in mind because Everton only exist to outdo LFC according to RAWK lol.

Lyon's new stadium is a good, tight bowl, but externally it's turned into a mess (especially when compared with the early renders). Populous were the architects, same as Spurs new stadium.

Bordeux's new stadium is stunning externally. Herzog & de Meuron designed, same as Chelsea's new stadium. Seating bowl a bit closer to four-stands than most new builds but actually looks a bit generic to my eye.
There's not a huge amount architects can do to make the interior stand out. It's the exterior that is recognisable, and where they seem to pay most attention.

Looks great that. Capacity is 54,740 which would be a great starting point with a view to expand at a later time.

That's also 700 higher than the RS' expanded Anfield, and that would wind them up as we only ever do anything with them in mind because Everton only exist to outdo LFC according to RAWK lol.
I'd imagine expansion with a retractable roof is not possible. Though I don't think a retractable roof will be installed in our new gaff.

I'll take this in a Royal Blue please
What size would Sir prefer?
55K please
*flashes card
That will do nicely.

TheEsk has suggested that our new dockland stadium will have an initial capacity of 60,000, like West Ham's new stadium, and I think that's about right.

I know that some are concerned that we would be unable to fill a stadium with a capacity of 60,000 or more (not that having a couple of thousand empty seats would be detrimental to us in any way), but a move to a new stadium almost always increases a club's attendances massively. When Arsenal played at Highbury they almost never got capacity attendances and Highbury only held 39,000 people. Conversely, the Emirates, a stadium with a capacity of 60,000, is almost always full. And West Ham's average attendance has shot up by over 20,000 since their move to the Olympic Stadium. Fans are much more likely to want to watch their team in a state-of-the-art stadium than in a decrepit stadium that is riddled with obstructed views, like Goodison.

I always thought the stadium the club tried to entice us with (by comparing it to the rubbish planned DK stadium) - the Rheine Energy Coln stadium - was a good, sensible design for us. I still do. It's 50,000 this one, but another for 60,000-70,000 with three tiers instead of double deckers would be very imposing down on the docks. I hate the thought of all this cloud shaped/circular/scalloped shape designs for stadiums. It's very faddy and we should just go for classical footy ground shape.

(Imagine the interior in blue, obviously!)

6183474.jpg

FIFA_WM06_Stadion_Koeln.jpg
Looks a bit tacky on the outside

Schalke and Werder Bremens grounds are both fantastic and produce a cracking atmosphere. We should be looking for something like their grounds

I fear too many are expecting the new stadium to give the atmosphere and that's just not going to happen. (Unless we start faking it by pumping it out through the tannoy!)

The designers can obviously help by keeping the stands close to the pitch, having a large roof to send the noise back down keeping it within the stadium but after that it's down to the fans. People are often quoting the atmosphere at Dortmund, Schalke and Werder Bremen etc. but if you put them in Goodison or Emirates or even Wham's ground they would still make a din and a great atmosphere. If we played at any of those grounds it would just be the same as what we have now.

They just love to chant, bounce and set off flares. They don't need massive kop style stands (altho some of them have them) because whether it's lower tier, top tier, corners, they're all at it.

If anything the atmosphere will be slightly reduced when we move (Unless we are going forward and about to score etc.) as we'll have 15,000 more casual fans and 5000 hospitality ticket holders. I know that sounds depressing but we need a bigger stadium to bring in more money and attract players so it's definitely a positive to move, just don't expect the atmosphere to suddenly rocket as it won't.

The big difference between us and the German league is that football is priced to allow working class men/women and kids to attend. They're the ones that are much more likely to create an atmosphere and that's why it's gone down hill in recent years as ticket prices just kept going up and up.

I fear too many are expecting the new stadium to give the atmosphere and that's just not going to happen. (Unless we start faking it by pumping it out through the tannoy!)

The designers can obviously help by keeping the stands close to the pitch, having a large roof to send the noise back down keeping it within the stadium but after that it's down to the fans. People are often quoting the atmosphere at Dortmund, Schalke and Werder Bremen etc. but if you put them in Goodison or Emirates or even Wham's ground they would still make a din and a great atmosphere. If we played at any of those grounds it would just be the same as what we have now.

They just love to chant, bounce and set off flares. They don't need massive kop style stands (altho some of them have them) because whether it's lower tier, top tier, corners, they're all at it.

If anything the atmosphere will be slightly reduced when we move (Unless we are going forward and about to score etc.) as we'll have 15,000 more casual fans and 5000 hospitality ticket holders. I know that sounds depressing but we need a bigger stadium to bring in more money and attract players so it's definitely a positive to move, just don't expect the atmosphere to suddenly rocket as it won't.

The big difference between us and the German league is that football is priced to allow working class men/women and kids to attend. They're the ones that are much more likely to create an atmosphere and that's why it's gone down hill in recent years as ticket prices just kept going up and up.

And they can drink in the stands.

There's not a huge amount architects can do to make the interior stand out. It's the exterior that is recognisable, and where they seem to pay most attention.

I'm not sure that's true. One of the ways of making the interior of the stadium stand out is different seating configurations in each stand thereby getting away from the bland concentric circles (ovals) of seating often seen with the mid level executive boxes/executive seating. so for example having one end a huge single tier stand with no executive seating, maybe have an executive seating block centred on one of the side stands rather than running around the stadium (preferably the same stand as is used by TV companies.

The beauty about using Meis is that his studio appears to not view things conventionally, and he's already indicated that energy, an acknowledgement of the past and atmosphere are very important considerations in his design work.

TheEsk has suggested that our new dockland stadium will have an initial capacity of 60,000, like West Ham's new stadium, and I think that's about right.

I know that some are concerned that we would be unable to fill a stadium with a capacity of 60,000 or more (not that having a couple of thousand empty seats would be detrimental to us in any way), but a move to a new stadium almost always increases a club's attendances massively. When Arsenal played at Highbury they almost never got capacity attendances and Highbury only held 39,000 people. Conversely, the Emirates, a stadium with a capacity of 60,000, is almost always full. And West Ham's average attendance has shot up by over 20,000 since their move to the Olympic Stadium. Fans are much more likely to want to watch their team in a state-of-the-art stadium than in a decrepit stadium that is riddled with obstructed views, like Goodison.

I take your point and am in agreement with you about crowds rising in a new stadium, but I would suspect that most years that was due to low away followings. Highbury's capacity was 38,419 according to Google and from 1996 to 2006 they were high 37,000, low 38,000.

Arsenal have a huge fanbase that absolutely dwarfs ours so to suggest that they couldn't fill a 38,000 stadium seems far fetched to me. By far London's best supported club over the years.