GrandOldTeam TV GOT TV: "Stekelenburg Was As Good As Southall" | City 1 v 1 Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keepers don't have to attempt to catch every cross you know. Some crosses you'll never catch, and if you come flying out then you'll be beaten to the ball and just look an even bigger turkey.
But would you want a keeper that's more often on the line rather than attempting to collect crosses? I wouldn't. If you don't at least try to gather a cross you won't gather it. Given the fact that he was facing Pelle, you'd expect a high cross because of the aerial threat he is. This time it wasn't so he had to compromise, anyhow it didn't end up in the net.

But it's a nonsense statement

As brilliant as Big Nev was - rightly in the top three Everton players ever - he also produced some howlers; so any goalkeeper could produce something "as good as Southall's" if you're taking that broad a brush to it.

But then in your last line, you admit it was click bait. Pretty disappointing

Look Orly, I was just simply trying to highlight how good we thought Stek's performance was. He saved two penalties and pulled off a few other really good saves. I don't understand why it's an issue. He produced a really good goalkeeping performance, our best goalkeeper is Southall, therefore we drew the comparison. Again, we're just trying to highlight how good we thought Stek was. Disagree? Think we're over doing it? Sound, that's football.

Why are you disappointed by the title? Both me and Seddo spent a decent amount of time talking about Stek's performance, it's not misleading anybody and at the end of the day I have to do what I can to encourage people to watch mate.

Never mind as good as Southall, it's as good a goalkeeping performance as you're likely to see. I'd like somebody to give me another example of a goalkeeper saving two penalties from players valued at more than 100m combined and easily within the top 10 players in the entire division, as well as pulling off at least three additional top draw saves within the 90 minutes. Nobody is saying Stekelenberg is the best goalkeeper ever, but that performance would be very, very difficult to top.

I have watched Everton for almost 40 years and Stek's performance on Saturday was up there with the very best I have seen from an Everton keeper. He was world class. He was top class against Spurs on the opening day too.

The key is to reach near to that quality week in week out over many years and hopefully have some honours to show for it.

Just to confirm, neither myself or @Seddo1984 were saying Stekelenburg is as good as Southall. We were, however, saying that this performance was on par with some of Southall's, which is just a big fat compliment to Stekelenburg.

Please don't read too much into the title, I just wrote that to try to get you to watch :cool:

Adam quickly discovering GOTs hatred for link bait lol;)

I have watched Everton for almost 40 years and Stek's performance on Saturday was up there with the very best I have seen from an Everton keeper. He was world class. He was top class against Spurs on the opening day too.

The key is to reach near to that quality week in week out over many years and hopefully have some honours to show for it.

This being the intended point no doubt.

He was as good as Southall in that one game.

I had season ticket 84 onwards and can't recall Southall ever saving a penalty.
Mind you I can't remember what i had for lunch today....

He did save a few but he was never one that gave you any confidence he would stop it before it was taken. Some keepers are just that bit more lucky/better at reading pens than others. Actually the title is misleading in the fact that Southall probably would have let in the penalties but would have stopped their headed equaliser! :p

Stekelenburg had a good (ok great) game and produced one worldie stop. The pens to me were just badly taken, if I was a manager, there would be a height zone where if players put them in it they would be doing hard labour for the rest of the week, city managed to do two in one game.

Not taking anything away from Stek's performance but those two penalties could have been better, hard and low into the corner is what they should be aiming for. The other saves were great but he also had time to see the it. We haven't had a shot stopper in goal for a while, Howard would have been beaten with De Bruynes shot. He played well and deserved the motm but lets not get too carried away

The Stek was superb at City. Those 2 saves from open play were top drawer. Anyway as far as I can remember it's up there with

Georgie Wood's brilliant performance in 1-1 draw at The Pit
Nev's several great performances - the most obvious being the 95 Cup Final and the 1-0 win at Hillsborough - there were many and the fine save at WHL will go down in history as one of the greatest.

I've seen many goalkeeping performances where they've virtually saved everything thrown at them, but to do all that AND save two penalties... outstanding. He was let down by his defence for Nolito's goal... that cross shouldn't have been allowed to come in and no idea how Nolito was afforded so much space in the six-yard box. I guess that takes his performance down from one-of-the-best-ever to just outstanding-but-not-perfect. Let's not forget City had 73% possession, had 19 shots and 13 corners... it was one-way traffic from the first minute!

One of the pundits, Townsend, I think, said no other goalie could've saved that one that De Gea made off Coutinho yesterday.

It was exactly the same as one Stek' made late in the match on Saturday.

The Stek's save was better - it was pretty much out of reach but he found a fingertip to knock it wide. The look on Prince Harry's face said it all - how is that not in the net?

Status
Not open for further replies.