Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
The excuse makers are now left in a rubble, a few try to form a rebellion group but they have been smashed to pieces.

They are now using the compensation paid for Koeman and Walsh to try and fight back against the bed wetters. It's rather embarrassing now and also using a stadium on the docks which has not been confirmed with no designs etc.

This is Everton, we've had about 4-5 new stadiums if you believe this one is going to happen as well. Kirkby Golf Course, the one by huyton, Kings Dock, Desperation Kirkby and Walton Hall Park.

At this moment in time, the new stadium in my eyes is going in with them as a work of fiction until it actually has a spade in the ground.

Ash...

What the hell are you on about with that first bit?

All the players who left, bar Stones, were not first-teamers.

Pienaar, Niasse and McGeady didn't play 10 games between them last season.

Osman was bit-part and finished. Howard was crap.

Only Stones had any positive impact on us last year - and some fans would try and have you believe otherwise anyway.

So, the ones that have gone have been replaced by players that have gone straight into the first team.

How is that difficult to grasp that that is, by definition, improvement?

What we have failed to do is add the two more needed at the end of the window to give us proper back support.

Oh, and Holgate will be right-back back up and he's proved he's capable. Valencia is the striker back-up - though we could and should have done better on that.
How can you be so flippant to the fact the players signed replaced them in the squad? to be honest it is almost blind ignorance to say 'oh well they improved us so therefore anything else doesn't matter....'.

Normally teams have 25 man squads for a reason, they play them. As you say they were bit part players right? Perhaps that is why the team were so kanckered by february every season under martinez then? The fact all these bit part players didn't play, if anything that is another major cirtisicm of Martinez that he had so many players in his squad that he never/couldn't play.

so yeah, back to the point i was making that you have clearly just glossed over, the squad may have improved but we haven't signed players to improve the team. As in better than what we have, put money in areas where we see a better level of player. Yes gueye is in the team, but who is his back up? Cleverley? Gibson? both aren't going to be very good back ups for him are they for the role he plays. Same as barry, they can't replace barry either. But just that one example is how we didn;t improve properly. The squad player we signed might be good enough to displace a first team which is good business. But he was still signed to occupy the position left by Osman in the squad.

It is selective criticism to argue otherwise, whether they were good buys or not they are still replacing the vacant roles in the squad, funny how once we filled them we did no further business.

Not to join a 'love-in' of any description but, thing is, as time passes I think you'll come to discover that much/most of the ESK's info was VERY near the mark if not absolutely 'spot on'...what one cannot compensate nor make allowances for is the fickle/often greedy nature of footballers and their entourage.

We were played like a Gypsy fiddle at times, I'm positive of that, disappointing as it was...

But I will say one thing...some of the barracking of the ESK from fellow blues (not you BTW mate) is a bit shameful really and continues to be so.

I suppose that's the price one pays on a forum though eh...it's mighty easy to be faceless and point.

*shakes head
I cannot disagree with what you have said particularly regarding any abuse ( which is unforgiveable ) but perhaps he may have helped his cause if he was a little less assertive and didn't come across as an unofficial Moshiri spokesman

How can you be so flippant to the fact the players signed replaced them in the squad? to be honest it is almost blind ignorance to say 'oh well they improved us so therefore anything else doesn't matter....'.

Normally teams have 25 man squads for a reason, they play them. As you say they were bit part players right? Perhaps that is why the team were so kanckered by february every season under martinez then? The fact all these bit part players didn't play, if anything that is another major cirtisicm of Martinez that he had so many players in his squad that he never/couldn't play.

so yeah, back to the point i was making that you have clearly just glossed over, the squad may have improved but we haven't signed players to improve the team. As in better than what we have, put money in areas where we see a better level of player. Yes gueye is in the team, but who is his back up? Cleverley? Gibson? both aren't going to be very good back ups for him are they for the role he plays. Same as barry, they can't replace barry either. But just that one example is how we didn;t improve properly. The squad player we signed might be good enough to displace a first team which is good business. But he was still signed to occupy the position left by Osman in the squad.

It is selective criticism to argue otherwise, whether they were good buys or not they are still replacing the vacant roles in the squad, funny how once we filled them we did no further business.
I think as far as backups go, they're okay. I don't know what quality backup you expect to be honest. It's hard to find a quality player who will sit on the bench every week and hope for an injury or a cup game, which is what Cleverly and Gibson will be doing.

Mate?

Gana has slotted in as a starting XI player. He has pushed McCarthy, the former starting player in that position, to the bench.

Stekelenburg has slotted in as a starting XI player, he has pushed Robles, the former starting player in that position, to the bench.

The space in the 25 man squad to sign them has come from moving Howard and Osman on, yes. But they have displaced the incumbent starters in the first XI in their respective positions. That is the absolute BEST way to strengthen a squad - bringing in a player better than the current best player you have in a specific position.

Your talk of backups is a bit strange, because Gibson and Cleverley are obviously NOT Gana's backups. They are Barry's backups. The depth for Gana is McCarthy - as evidenced by the fact that Gana has taken McCarthy's starting spot, and not Barry's.

I think as far as backups go, they're okay. I don't know what quality backup you expect to be honest. It's hard to find a quality player who will sit on the bench every week and hope for an injury or a cup game, which is what Cleverly and Gibson will be doing.
It is cut and thrust so to speak (probably wrong term there haha)

We sign gueye, he is good enough to walk into the team. But then the back ups are then unable to perform the same role so it then means that we have 2 back up players currently who cannot perform the midfield roles that they are backing up. This is where the strengthening would have came into effect, signing 1 midfielder to cover both barry and gueye, with cleverley covering ross and gibson just being gibson the whole time. Mccarthy can technically deputise there as well fair enough but i think in that scenario he leaves the club at the same time.

Mate?

Gana has slotted in as a starting XI player. He has pushed McCarthy, the former starting player in that position, to the bench.

Stekelenburg has slotted in as a starting XI player, he has pushed Robles, the former starting player in that position, to the bench.

The space in the 25 man squad to sign them has come from moving Howard and Osman on, yes. But they have displaced the incumbent starters in the first XI in their respective positions. That is the absolute BEST way to strengthen a squad - bringing in a player better than the current best player you have in a specific position.

Your talk of backups is a bit strange, because Gibson and Cleverley are obviously NOT Gana's backups. They are Barry's backups. The depth for Gana is McCarthy - as evidenced by the fact that Gana has taken McCarthy's starting spot, and not Barry's.
It is different tactics though than before. McCarthy is not being told to do what he did under martinez so whether he can cover Gueye or not, we will find out this season. Clev and gib cannot do Barry's role in the team, not without being a glaring weakness there. Gibson possibly, but not mobile enough.

but my point about back ups is the fact they were signed to occupy those spots in the squad. The fact any of them make the team is credit to them. Koeman obviously wants his team, so stek and gueye playing is a result of that. Signing them as replacements for mcgeady/osman and the like isn't a marker of their quality, just squad additions.

To be honest if none of them had broken into the team then i would be bloody concerned as to why we signed them in the first place!

I used to believe in @The Esk and all that he preached. I now feel let down, betrayed and abandoned...He lied to us all the massive whopper. He should now do the honourable thing and send us all GOT mugs as a way of saying sorry for all the pain he has caused.

Look to @davek as our saviour - only he can lead us to the light.

The board and those involved in the transfer dealings are to blame, but so Is Koeman and Walsh tbf. Loan deals like Hart and Remy would have been an upgrade on Steklenburg/Valencia but we didn't pursue a bargain like the likes of Palace did.

All in all very dissapointing bar the Gueye signing.

It is different tactics though than before. McCarthy is not being told to do what he did under martinez so whether he can cover Gueye or not, we will find out this season. Clev and gib cannot do Barry's role in the team, not without being a glaring weakness there. Gibson possibly, but not mobile enough.

but my point about back ups is the fact they were signed to occupy those spots in the squad. The fact any of them make the team is credit to them. Koeman obviously wants his team, so stek and gueye playing is a result of that. Signing them as replacements for mcgeady/osman and the like isn't a marker of their quality, just squad additions.

To be honest if none of them had broken into the team then i would be bloody concerned as to why we signed them in the first place!
I really don't follow your train of thought here mate.

Are you saying that you would have been happier with Gana and Stek if Robles and McCarthy had been sold, but Osman and Howard had stayed?

Where have I said that FFS?

Ash - Bolasie is better than Pienaar (now). Stek is better than Howard. Valencia is better than McGeady or the other strikers that are still on books. Gueye is better than Osman. Williams is a better DEFENDER than Stones and more suitable for what we NEED right now (as good as Stones is, and he is class).

I agree on the back-ups, but your point about the team not improving is so, so wrong.

I used to believe in @The Esk and all that he preached. I now feel let down, betrayed and abandoned...He lied to us all the massive whopper. He should now do the honorable thing and send us all GOT mugs as a way of saying sorry for all the pain he has caused.
Look to @davek as our saviour - only he can lead us to the light.

First paragraph...YES & second one NO...

Status
Not open for further replies.