Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really mysterious. We targeted those players because we thought we could get them and it didn't happen so we changed strategies. The new plan was to target proven premier League players that could challenge for a spot in the first 11. So we haven't taken the team up a level so much as we made it easier to maintain the top level we're currently at. It's still a positive window

You really think going after £30-60mil players and then dropping to what weve gone for isnt mysterious?

Theres plently of players in the middle of the two who we could have gone for..

I put this in the Moshiri thread - thought it worth repeating here:

Despite the pressure to sign, and the frustration in not signing people who got very close, one of the major things that have become apparent in recent weeks is that neither Moshiri nor Koeman will be pushed into deals if there is any aspect of the deal they are not satisfied with.

Witsel is a classic example when his people just kept pushing and pushing, in the end he might have said he wanted to go to Juve, but the reality is that we would not concede his final demands. Similarly in recent days a player thought most likely to join us, hasn't because the manager had reservations and the tougher decision not to proceed was taken.

Might be tough in the short term, in terms of numbers coming in, but it says a huge amount about the quality of people we have brought in, and the single mindedness of Moshiri, Koeman and Walsh

Despite the above, we're still going to add before the window closes, and it won't be through desperation but people we want on the terms we want.

Actions speak louder than words.

I will pass judgement on the new regime in terms of transfers at the conclusion of the window.

I will say this though - they have a lot to do to convince me that they are serious about restoring EFC to it's rightful position as you referenced when Moshiri took over.

You really think going after £30-60mil players and then dropping to what weve gone for isnt mysterious?

Theres plently of players in the middle of the two who we could have gone for..
Who should we have gotten then. And keep in mind that Premier League experience seems to be a key attribute in the lower level targets. It looks to me like a pretty clear plan a and plan b

Theres a whole world out there..
So basically the guys we signed aren't good enough because they aren't foreign unknown quantities that could shine or tank? I obviously don't expect Bolasie to be Figo or Williams to be Baresi but I don't think we had much chance of that happening with anyone. What's good is that they almost certainly won't be Mangala or Florian Thauvin

So basically the guys we signed aren't good enough because they aren't foreign unknown quantities that could shine or tank? I obviously don't expect Bolasie to be Figo or Williams to be Baresi but I don't think we had much chance of that happening with anyone. What's good is that they almost certainly won't be Mangala or Florian Thauvin

Mate the transfer business we've done so far screams Koeman is going for proven PL players that should help us move up the table immediately rather than taking risks on young foreign league players who might need adjustment periods...or might not be good enough.

The ages of the players we've signed is even more proof Koeman isn't looking to the future today...he is looking at this season as one that is priority #1 in moving us back up in the table.

Mate the transfer business we've done so far screams Koeman is going for proven PL players that should help us move up the table immediately rather than taking risks on young foreign league players who might need adjustment periods...or might not be good enough.

The ages of the players we've signed is even more proof Koeman isn't looking to the future today...he is looking at this season as one that is priority #1 in moving us back up in the table.
This is more or less what I'm trying to say. We need to do what we can for right now or it's going to take longer to get the players we really want to get

This is more or less what I'm trying to say. We need to do what we can for right now or it's going to take longer to get the players we really want to get

Generally agreed. I do believe we've targeted bigger 'names' in this window. We can't make anyone sign, and again I'll repeat my view on transfers...you can overpay on a transfer fee with very little long term problems, but overpaying wages ends up bending the club over with all future negotiations.

Stones is not the 2nd highest paid defender in history.

I think we look pretty poor tbh...

GK -- Stek
RB - Holgate
RCB - Jagielka
LCB - Williams
LB - Baines

-- other than Holgate the rest will be gone in 2 years. Which usually means they are going downhill.

DM - Barry
DM - Gueye

-- Again Barry gone soon

LW - Bolasie
AM - Barkley
RW - Deulofeu
CF- Lukaku

Beyond these 4 we have mirallas and then no quality

We can add in others like Seamus (im just like baines as i cant defend) Coleman and some centre mids but overall nothing special.

We had:
Stones
Holgate
Galloway
Barkley
Deulofeu
Lukaku

And just needed to add the same quality but other than Gana (on first impressions) have failed to do so...Williams is a good signing but short term.

Overall a missed opportunity.

Funes Mori.
Davies.
Dowell.
Kenny.
Pennington.
McCarthy.
Galloway is only on loan.

Think you've been deliberately a bit thin there. Stones may have gone but as before, city haven't even bought the best promising defender at the club. The club pays Koeman to do a job, if he's happy, so should we be. Clearly he has areas he wants to strengthen and is doing so. Unbeaten, looking quite good. We have a defence again. Not sure why you're so negative?

What is the need to be signing players for long term when the transfer window is open twice a season? If anything, why spend before you have to.

Yes, I've been thinking about the ages of the new signings as well. Immediate results with a mind to CL and, if we do get there, then we become that Champions League club that so many have 'allegedly' rejected us for! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.