Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was a saints fan I'd be livid at the board, not just for Koeman but for Pochettino and all the brilliant players theyve sold too. How do you ever expect to be a serious successful club when you let other clubs come and take all your prized assets without a fight? Just think where youse couldve been now had that not been the case and Koeman will just be the start of a summer where you lose yet another 3 or 4 key players, perhaps more and all of that. How long can they keep this up as a sustainable model before they lose Premier League status?

What complete nonsense

Just basically going on about the post saying he might end up on gardening leave, their forum itk is never ever wrong, they don't want him anymore anyway and his brother and the fitness coach are fuming because they want to stay so bad

Oh and they are going to be the first club ever to stand up to a manger and put him on gardening leave

Now according to one on Twitter we haven't even agreed compensation!!!, even though it was one of their local journos who broke the news!!

Lad?

Like you I'm sceptical about some of it, and I'm sure The Esk is right about the timings in the article about when Everton approached and Koemans interest being purely superficial are wrong. However the stuff purely focused on Southampton, his relationship with the players, the Board telling him in January about there concerns, all tie in with what our ITK's have been telling us, and which personally I can believe.

The piece was written through rose tinted glasses, so it is bias, and may not be entirely factually correct, but I think there is some substance to some of it, and naturally you're reading it through blue tinted glasses as well!
And all this from your supposed "ITK's" is only now all coming out now that you've lost him? If we were never in for him and he signed a new deal a few weeks ago then absolutely NONE of this codswallop would be spoken about and you know it.

Elaborate. Actions speak louder than words. That's how the Saints roll, you'd know as a fan surely.

We don't have access to immediate cash being pumped into the club anymore, like a lot of other clubs do (including yourselves). We have to try and grow the club without big investment. In the last two years we have had the lowest net spend in the league I think but are now in a better league position with a bigger and better squad. And you think we should be 'livid'? Whilst we've done this we've also paid off some of the debt the clown of a former CEO left us with. The entire point of our model is to be sustainable, and it's wrong to say "what if they had kept those players where would they be now". Well if we had kept Lallana, Shaw, Lovren etc we wouldn't have been able to buy the players that have gone on and improved us.

All of the players we sold have either stagnated or outright failed to step up and we sold nearly all of them for far more than they're worth. Would you rather have Lallana for 25 million or Tadic + Mane for the same price? We KNOW we will lose players and managers to teams with more money and that is why we have to invest so much resource in recruitment, but it also means we're pretty well prepared for it when it happens, and unlike 2 years ago it now seems we might lose 1 or 2 a year rather than 5 or 6. And when we do sell them it will always be for big money or because their contract is running out. I predict we sell Wanyama this summer (1 year left) and Mane if we get a huge offer. That will likely be it (not including fringe squad players).

Good luck to RK, 6/7 million a year makes him one of the best paid managers in the world, it's just a shame he upset quite a few people at the club with his dishonesty in the process of doing it. I think he will be a better fit at Everton than at SFC. At Everton he'll have money to spend and it's likely to be a 2/3 year short term job, whereas we now would ideally get someone in who is a better all round fit for the club for the long term and will buy in to the club's model, rather than constantly trying to fight it.

Little old Southampton had their third top 8 finish in a row, finished just a few points off the CL places last season, and you think we should be 'livid' with the people who have overseen it. That's nonsense

it was common knowledge that Mane and Tadic fell out with him earlier this season

then again, being universally liked as a manager is not always required
That says more about them than Koeman. Wasn't Mane for example extracting the urine by waltzing in to training late on more than one occasion? Quite right that the manager gave him both barrels! What should a good manager do, pat him on the back and say "doesn't matter mate just get here whenever you can"?

Mane was taken to task over it (rightly so) and spat the dummy.

That's a positive about Koeman, not a negative.

As a neutral in this situation I think that post has elements of truth in it but is riddled with inconsistent statements. To me it seems Koeman would have been equally happy to stay as he is now leaving and there is no doubt in my mind that he'll use you as a stepping stone to the Barca job in 3 or 4 years. The reports about some members of the squad not getting along with him is something I personally first heard towards the end of his first season with Southampton, the same with the board not being happy with the progression from the academy to the first time - something that is also evident by not as many young players being loaned out as in previous seasons under Pochettino. And with saints driving a hard bargain in terms of the compensation and nitty gritty of it all that doesn't surprise me one bit when you think about the extortionate amounts they've been able to fleece top clubs for when selling their best players - so pushing for a clause that would see Everton blocked from buying any of their players seems totally plausible (and no it's not an illegal move Liverpool did it with Swansea when Rodgers first took over).
However, if he was THAT disliked why appear so desperate to keep him? Regardless of the fans feelings if the board are not happy with his overall performance then get in someone who they feel would be more suitable in terms of what they want to achieve. Really doesn't add up at all.

That's all i have to say on the matter and I just hope the two clubs can sort it out quickly as it must be growing tedious for both sets of fans. Anyway good luck for the season under someone who i regard as one of the best managers in the premier league (providing it happens of course)

We don't have access to immediate cash being pumped into the club anymore, like a lot of other clubs do (including yourselves). We have to try and grow the club without big investment. In the last two years we have had the lowest net spend in the league I think but are now in a better league position with a bigger and better squad. And you think we should be 'livid'? Whilst we've done this we've also paid off some of the debt the clown of a former CEO left us with. The entire point of our model is to be sustainable, and it's wrong to say "what if they had kept those players where would they be now". Well if we had kept Lallana, Shaw, Lovren etc we wouldn't have been able to buy the players that have gone on and improved us.

All of the players we sold have either stagnated or outright failed to step up and we sold nearly all of them for far more than they're worth. Would you rather have Lallana for 25 million or Tadic + Mane for the same price? We KNOW we will lose players and managers to teams with more money and that is why we have to invest so much resource in recruitment, but it also means we're pretty well prepared for it when it happens, and unlike 2 years ago it now seems we might lose 1 or 2 a year rather than 5 or 6. And when we do sell them it will always be for big money or because their contract is running out. I predict we sell Wanyama this summer (1 year left) and Mane if we get a huge offer. That will likely be it (not including fringe squad players).

Good luck to RK, 6/7 million a year makes him one of the best paid managers in the world, it's just a shame he upset quite a few people at the club with his dishonesty in the process of doing it. I think he will be a better fit at Everton than at SFC. At Everton he'll have money to spend and it's likely to be a 2/3 year short term job, whereas we now would ideally get someone in who is a better all round fit for the club for the long term and will buy in to the club's model, rather than constantly trying to fight it.

Little old Southampton had their third top 8 finish in a row, finished just a few points off the CL places last season, and you think we should be 'livid' with the people who have overseen it. That's nonsense
You talk just like an evertonian 2 years ago mate. You are going through just what we have had to endure for 10 years plus. Hope all works out for the future.

And all this from your supposed "ITK's" is only now all coming out now that you've lost him? If we were never in for him and he signed a new deal a few weeks ago then absolutely NONE of this codswallop would be spoken about and you know it.
I don't really get your point. Our ITK's throughout the season backed up the board weren't 100% happy with him, and he had tense relations with some players, but our end of season form was so good, they were happy enough to offer a new contract, if Koeman was willing to commit. I said in my post I don't believe all of it, but just that there is some substance to the 'ITK' post that emerged this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.