Eighteen years ago today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first year of University. I watched it surrounded by RS in the university common room. Everyone seemed to want us to go down.

When Coventry scored I walked out and just wandered the streets until it was all over.

Anyone who moans about the 60 point / 6th place period under Moyes should be forced to time travel to the late 1990s. We were awful.

Even though I hate the RS, I'd always kind of thought that I wouldn't want them to relegated if push came to shove. I don't like big clubs languishing in the lower divisions. But I think over recent years, that opinion has changed and I enjoy seeing them get rinsed through the divisions. ;)

I always thought this game felt like the end more so than the Wimbledon one,their seemed to be an air of defeat around the ground

Me too. That team was bloody awful and you just couldn't back them to get a result. We stayed up on goal difference didn't we? Bolton went down instead of us - incredibly lucky because I remember they had a perfectly good (winning) goal ruled out when we played them at their gaff.

Horrible, sickening week before that match. Was convinced we were going down, the match itself was unbearable. Couldn't face that again. We'll do the Geordies a favour by getting battered tomorrow night, put them out of their misery.
I'm supporting Sunderland tomorrow .

Another nail in Martinez's coffin

And send the Geordie tits and them farmer whoppers down. I have a hatred of delia smith

Me too. That team was bloody awful and you just couldn't back them to get a result. We stayed up on goal difference didn't we? Bolton went down instead of us - incredibly lucky because I remember they had a perfectly good (winning) goal ruled out when we played them at their gaff.
Was the first game at the reebok as well I think,

Loving that 90's gear at around 1:06.

I was in the Lower Gwladys - Don't think I ever did more than nod and say hello to the family in front of me all year. That day we were all hugging and kissing when Farrelly scored. At the end the lad in front of me was crying, kicked his seat to pieces and then we all ran on the pitch.

Never again.

It's probably the trauma of that day affecting my memory, but wasn't that the day Bolton were at Chelsea and their game finished slightly after ours?

My recollections of that game was anger rather than the relief. After the Wimbledon game we had a new owner in the pipeline (Johnson) the feeling was it wouldnt happen again but 4 years later it did.
Leading up to the Coventry game my misses accused my of having an affair ,for weeks I had become distant my mind was elsewhere even in my sleep I was doing permutations of the possible outcome of the final results.
I will always be grateful to Vialli for getting his Chelsea team in the right frame of mind to beat Bolton bearing in mind they had a cup winners cup final shortly afterwards.
Even there own supporters were cheering for Bolton that day but there team got us the right result.
Much as I dont like geordies I would not wish relegation on anybody( well nearly anybody) it must be a horrible feeling we should know we were close twice.
l

Remember hearing how Chelsea fans were booing their own players and urging Bolton to score.

We were the Sunderland of the late 90s. Circling the drain.

Remember the ball dropping in front of farrelly and me shouting 'don't shoot' almost everything I say the opposite happens. Should abuse this talent more really

My recollections of that game was anger rather than the relief. After the Wimbledon game we had a new owner in the pipeline (Johnson) the feeling was it wouldnt happen again but 4 years later it did.
Leading up to the Coventry game my misses accused my of having an affair ,for weeks I had become distant my mind was elsewhere even in my sleep I was doing permutations of the possible outcome of the final results.
I will always be grateful to Vialli for getting his Chelsea team in the right frame of mind to beat Bolton bearing in mind they had a cup winners cup final shortly afterwards.
Even there own supporters were cheering for Bolton that day but there team got us the right result.
Much as I dont like geordies I would not wish relegation on anybody( well nearly anybody) it must be a horrible feeling we should know we were close twice.
l
Newcastle fans have been desensitised anyway. Happens every couple of seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.