Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 3 seasons time when we're sat in 4th blowing teams away with Emery as manager and in the semi's of the Europa League I'll look back fondly of all the knicker wetting over getting rid of El midtable.

The 'pat on the head' from the condescending punditry that you were so desperately craving. The only glimmer of hope (IF you can call it that -it's nothing more than a thinly-veiled, backhanded compliment) in an otherwise grim bit of reading.

No bookie would have given odds that you'd highlight that single line. You'd have had to place the equivalent of the national debt to win a penny.

But you did it, nonetheless. And in doing so, have shown what you're about. More than happy with the 'entertainers' euphemism.
You had two options there: either a) take on board an independent article's evaluation of Everton's season being one of a tale of underachievement in the PL and achievement in the cup competitions; or b ) you could ignore that and attack me for quoting a line from it.

It says a lot about the desperation of the dissenters beating their heads against a brick wall that you chose the latter. I realise it's frustrating for people who dont want to show loyalty to our manager that independent news sources dont confirm their prejudices on him and the team's season, but maybe try and show a bit of objectivity and recognise that there's more to this situation than conforming your own beliefs in an echo chamber.

A game in hand on WBA and two games in hand on Swansea and B'mouth.

The table is squeezed between 9th and 12th. A win here and a loss there turns the table on its head again. It was only a month ago when a win from us and losses around us put us top 7. It's all head of a pin stuff. You cant say below those in the European spots that one team is clearly better than others in and around them...or where they'll finish.
Lose on Sunday and don't win either the derby or Watford and that pin head becomes a hole mate.

It doesn't, but I guarantee a Martinez: Post FA Cup victory poll would represent quite a reversal of the tide, wouldn't you agree? People are complaining that we're not fighting for Europe? We are. We're not fighting for trophies? We are for the first time in a few years, and it will be true up until the point we're knocked out of the FA Cup or win it. Let's relax until then. People can explain our home form in any number of ways but, personally, I'm a great believer that all the negative juju isn't doing much to help our team. Football has become so short term, 3 years wasn't always considered a long time.
Serious question. Would you accept the FA Cup and relegation? We would still be fighting for europe.

I won't accept less than 60 points. That is MY expectation and mine alone. Fails to deliver 60 points even with a cup win and I want him gone.

I agree I just think with the new owner we should be showing ambition and getting a manager in who has a good record of winning cups AND finishing strongly in the league. Newcastle have been whipping boys in the league for years and are in line for relegation yet have just hired a manager that's won trophies, league titles and a champions league (whilst finishing 2nd in the prem one year).

I think unless Martinez can deliver the cup this year then he doesn't deserve a 4th season based on the previous 2, we should offer big money and a big transfer kitty to an Emery, Hiddink, Mancini, Koeman, Pellegrini heck even a risk young manager like De Boer. I think it's doing us as a historically massive club a huge disservice to hold onto a bloke who looks to not be turning things around.

Heck even West Ham dropped Big Sam and they haven't looked back.
So your conclusion is not to try and see what Martinez could do with that extra cash that's (apparently) coming, regardless of how successful he's been in the transfer market thus far, and hand it to someone else who may or may not make a success of it?

The only appropriate way forward would be to let Martinez continue this squad strengthening and see how he can utilise it. If he cant, then he cant and you go from there.

Any other approach is ludicrous and fraught with difficulty.

If Martinez was currently on the job market - how many of the clubs currently in the Top 10 in the league would he get a realistic sniff at taking over if they were / are in the market?

Leicester - very much doubt it.
Spurs - No chance
Arsenal - No chance
City - lol
West Ham - not a prayer
United - nope
Southampton - doubt it
Stoke - can't see it, but lets' give him the benefit of a possible.
RS - one Brendan Rodgers was enough
Chelsea - haha, nope.

That's the top 10 chaps i.e. the sides that we're looking to catch and over take.

Bobby would maybe get a sniff at one or possibly Being generous) two of them. The rest wouldn't give him the time of day.

What does that tell you?

The table is squeezed between 9th and 12th. A win here and a loss there turns the table on its head again. It was only a month ago when a win from us and losses around us put us top 7. It's all head of a pin stuff. You cant say below those in the European spots that one team is clearly better than others in and around them...or where they'll finish.

When I was looking forward to this season, my dreams didn't include taking solace in the fact that we had games in hand on WBA and Bournemouth. I thought we might be competing at a slightly higher level.

Would you accept the FA Cup and relegation?

I've been asked this a million times. No.

But we're not going to get relegated. There's a lot of people who laugh at Dave when he posits that 5th is about as good as 15th. In my mind, he's spot on. We don't win anything coming 5th. All 5th represents is that we put a good few wins together and people went home from matchday happier more often than not. The general mood is better, but what have we achieved? The square root of eff all. It seems that a lot of people differ with me on this, but I would trade in 5th place for a trophy every day of the week, without question.

6th place has 50 points, we have 38.. Not a tight squeeze for places that matter is it? We have offered no fight in the league for two consecutive years. I don't want him gone, but its far from acceptable.

Quarter of the season to play and its already basically finished for us. Just need to check our backs as we go through the motions for the remaining fixtures.

That's how this season feels to me anyway. A win here and a loss there doesn't turn the table on its head, but we may move up a couple of places.. whoop whoop.. pulls party popper.

That 7th place point you make is what your missing in the grand scheme of things by the way...
Yes 7th place would of been ours if we had won and others lost but..
7th place is not good enough according to your previous standards.
Even if for some reason it suddenly is.. We didn't win, the others did and now we are 12th and they are not.. in fact they are fighting for Europe.. we are not.. we are simply not fighting full stop.

You had two options there: either a) take on board an independent article's evaluation of Everton's season being one of a tale of underachievement in the PL and achievement in the cup competitions; or b ) you could ignore that and attack me for quoting a line from it.

It says a lot about the desperation of the dissenters beating their heads against a brick wall that you chose the latter. I realise it's frustrating for people who dont want to show loyalty to our manager that independent news sources dont confirm their prejudices on him and the team's season, but maybe try and show a bit of objectivity and recognise that there's more to this situation than conforming your own beliefs in an echo chamber.

:zzz:

I've spelled it out quite succinctly. The general tone of that 'article' is the truth that you find so unpalatable; other than the one sentence where only you could garner some sort of countenance from.

A sentence that more or less says 'We know their place...mid table, and a couple of semi finals is about right'.

Well, I suppose it is - as long as martinez is here.

So your conclusion is not to try and see what Martinez could do with that extra cash that's (apparently) coming, regardless of how successful he's been in the transfer market thus far, and hand it to someone else who may or may not make a success of it?

The only appropriate way forward would be to let Martinez continue this squad strengthening and see how he can utilise it. If he cant, then he cant and you go from there.

Any other approach is ludicrous and fraught with difficulty.
To be honest Dave I think any decision has been made long ago when Mosh joined as to whether he stays or goes and anything that happens in the rest of the season isn't going to influence it either way. My opinion of course.

Christ using that City games last ten minutes as evidence of anything positive, did you watch it dave, City effecitvely let us keep the ball and pass it around the last ten minutes - no pressure from them, no closing down like earlier in the game - they had settled for the 2-1 scoreline and it was bleeding obvious to anyone watching that they had done.

Yes we where fitter than Chelsea - then again we had 7 days rest and Chelsea has 3 days after their gruelling second leg against PSG gpoing into that game - which some unbiased people may say had some effect on the last 15 minutes energy levels for both teams

I get it: any time we see out a game with ease or end a game on the front foot it's because other stuff intervened; any time we've struggled is solely down to us. Uncanny that isn't it?

As for all this crap about 'leaders', and blaming Jagielka, here is some news for you mate, Martinez is the manager and it follows that with that he is the leader of this team, so why not start the blame game right at his doorstep instead of at the player HE is picking and who HE has left and endorsed repeatedly as HIS captain, do i think he is a good Caprain - ofc i don't - do i think he is worse in that role than martinez is in his - nope their both useless leaders, both should be relieved as you stated of that duty

Oh last little thing btw, City as i said let us keep ball the last ten minutes at the score being 2-1 and subsequently smashed us all voer the shop at their ground, and we looked dead on our feet the last 30 minutes of that game - when it actually mattered mate

Martinez has resurrected a football club from the ashes with sheer force of will down at Swansea; he led a team from a one horse town to the biggest domestic cup in world football against the most expensively assembled squad in the world; then he reconfigured Moyes' team and led them in a new direction to achieve the club's best PL performance. Do yourself a favour mate - try and take the edge off your obvious hatred for this manager and look for a little balance.

As for Jagileka: yes, at least we're on agreement there - that he's turd as a leader of this team.

I've been asked this a million times. No.

But we're not going to get relegated. There's a lot of people who laugh at Dave when he posits that 5th is about as good as 15th. In my mind, he's spot on. We don't win anything coming 5th. All 5th represents is that we put a good few wins together and people went home from matchday happier more often than not. The general mood is better, but what have we achieved? The square root of eff all. It seems that a lot of people differ with me on this, but I would trade in 5th place for a trophy every day of the week, without question.

There's about £20, 000, 000 of difference between 5th and 15th.

Martinez has resurrected a football club from the ashes with sheer force of will down at Swansea; he led a team from a one horse town to the biggest domestic cup in world football against the most expensively assembled squad in the world; then he reconfigured Moyes' team and led them in a new direction to achieve the club's best PL performance. Do yourself a favour mate - try and take the edge off your obvious hatred for this manager and look for a little balance.

Marvellous use superlatives & hyperbole there david. ;)

His 'hatred' is only surpassed by your fawning sycophancy. :dodgy:

Status
Not open for further replies.