Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hilarious that we are fuming this much after we got knocked out of the second leg of a semi-final that we went into winning. I'm as gutted as anyone and sick to teeth of this season, but get some perspective. Folks going on that he's the worst manager ever and then citing the squad he has more or less assembled is a little rich. Maybe he should go, but at least make that argument based on our league performance and our defensive frailties. Not on the back of a semi-final that we nearly squeaked and a squad that he has clearly assembled.
It's not just to tonight though is it.and it will continue.

He built this team pretty much.we all think the squad is the best we have had in 30 yrs so he needs to be given respect for that but although we have been unlucky this season I don't think he can bring us success with the way he thinks you should win a football game.the way he makes our talented squad play will never be solid enough to succeed.
This. I wish wish wish he would have a "road to Damascus" moment and hire a defensive coach like Wenger did. Quietly: with him still in the driving seat, but this underling given the task of focusing on making our very decent defensive line ACTUALLY DEFEND. This nonsense that clean sheets aren't important or that the only goal is to score more goals is nuts: Great defenders defend well when their manager tells them that their clean sheet is as valuable as an attackers goal. If you don't stress that, then you have the likes of Stones rampaging up the pitch looking for the magic goal that affirms the values of the coach. I'm hearing all those who say he won't change. Just wish he would. That attacking swagger with some defensive substance: how amazing would that be.

The managerial position at Everton comes with an absolutely massive remuneration package of circa 4 million POUND per year, we could get a serious manager with that cash. With the new TV money, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of our capabilities to double that, and pay someone circa 10million Euros per year. I think Unai Emery is out of contract in the summer as well ;)

Hilarious that we are fuming this much after we got knocked out of the second leg of a semi-final that we went into winning. I'm as gutted as anyone and sick to teeth of this season, but get some perspective. Folks going on that he's the worst manager ever and then citing the squad he has more or less assembled is a little rich. Maybe he should go, but at least make that argument based on our league performance and our defensive frailties. Not on the back of a semi-final that we nearly squeaked and a squad that he has clearly assembled.

To be fair, that's the easiest argument of them all. On that evidence, he should have gone months ago.

It's not just to tonight though is it.and it will continue.
I agree: our league form is abysmal and is an argument for sacking him. I just don't think our current squad (which he assembled) can be used as a stick to beat him with. Smith and Moyes didn't have this squad. But they wouldn't have assembled it. I also don't think tonight's performance merits sacking. Unfortunately, as you suggest, there are other serious problems.

The voice of reason after a reasonable space of fume. Thought our performance was disappointing, but it was gutless. Perhaps Kone was a mistake, but I could see the logic. We didn't deserve to win, but we had some horrible decisions go against us.

Yes we were unlucky but what of the blatant penalty that should have given them victory in the league game? it goes both ways as you know.

The league table doesn't lie. 10th last year and 12th after two thirds of this season......we are a mid division team which does not have a Golden generation of players, does not have superstar youth is not on the cusp of greatness and and is not led well enough.

I am a loyal blue and I'd love to say different. I'd love to support RM. I'd love to think Stones was the superstar we are told he is etc etc etc but I have to look at the league and see that we are.....12th !!!!

Manager wise.who do u get?We never sack managers and there ain't no obvious replacement so he will keep us trying to play football that looks pretty but is very hard to master.

Manager wise.who do u get?We never sack managers and there ain't no obvious replacement so he will keep us trying to play football that looks pretty but is very hard to master.

Yes we do. We sacked Walter Smith for being dross and finishing bottom half for 3 seasons in a row.

Personally I think we should go for Sampaoli or Rijkaard.

Just to reiterate the point before I go to bed. Everton already pay massive wages to managers, and we could use the wages of Martinez, Pienaar and Osman to get one of the best managers in the world, and it wouldn't even have the slightest effect on FFP or our expenditure on wages. We really can do a lot better than Bobby Martinez, and the best way for us to start acting like big club again would be to employ a top manager.

Just to reiterate the point before I go to bed. Everton already pay massive wages to managers, and we could use the wages of Martinez, Pienaar and Osman to get one of the best managers in the world, and it wouldn't even have the slightest effect on FFP or our expenditure on wages. We really can do a lot better than Bobby Martinez, and the best way for us to start acting like big club again would be to employ a top manager.

One of the best managers in the world would not come here due to our financial constraints.

One of the best managers in the world would not come here due to our financial constraints.

Pay them enough money and they will. Financial constraints? Everton have never had as much money at their disposal as they do right now, with a shed load more on its way.

Yes we do. We sacked Walter Smith for being dross and finishing bottom half for 3 seasons in a row.

Personally I think we should go for Sampaoli or Rijkaard.

People will laugh and snigger and it won't happen but I'd have Rafael....no BS from Rafael praising players for doing nothing and he'd organise them and get them to work.

Doesn't work like that though really.

The very top managers want money to spend if they're managing in the Premier League. We could afford a top managers wages, but can't afford to buy the quality of players in depth that they'd want to bring in, so unless there's a really top manager who's willing to do a Wenger, and bring players through, then our pool of possible managers is one step down from the top.

Pay them enough money and they will. Financial constraints? Everton have never had as much money at their disposal as they do right now, with a shed load more on its way.

The money available is relative to the rest of the league though.

No...doesn't work like that. They'd want a massive budget. The only way we get a massive budget is by selling Lukaku, Stones, Barkley and Deulofeu.

Doesn't work like that though really.

The very top managers want money to spend if they're managing in the Premier League. We could afford a top managers wages, but can't afford to buy the quality of players in depth that they'd want to bring in, so unless there's a really top manager who's willing to do a Wenger, and bring players through, then our pool of possible managers is one step down from the top.

I don't know. Being able to turn down 40 million pound bids for 21 year olds, and paying 28 million for 21 year olds doesn't exactly scream poverty to me. Are we not in the top 20 richest clubs in world football? We can certainly do a lot better than Martinez.

Obviously there will be a need to replace the likes of Lukaku and Stones if they were to be sold, but if the money was given back to the manager they would be looking at a 'warchest' of circa 100 million, that's without even touching the TV money.

Status
Not open for further replies.