starting eleven after deadline day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay mate, put simply if we start Lennon we will basically be relegating Deulofeu to 10-15 minute sub appearances as he is way better on the right than left or centrally, of the two of them i know which one has the potential to be something special but he needs game time to do that

Lennon will do more for the team overall with the cover that he provides for the fullback than Deulofeu and Mirallas will, and Martinez will see that. Doesn't mean Mirallas and Deulofeu can't play big parts this season or that all 3 can't play at the same time either. I think those three would be a massive threat with Lennon and Deulofeu on the wing, Barkley in the centre with Mirallas behind Lukaku.

Young players get better over time- agree? So our young players are two years more experienced- Del and Stones in particular are better, Barkley seems more consistent.

I get what you're saying but I also think its been really important to keep this young talented squad together. I think the playmaker would have made the squad pretty solid but for me not losing Coleman, Stones or Barkley is a massive plus in the development of this team.
stones was already in our team, and none of our young players have come in and got into the starting 11.

it's still the same first 11, it makes it quite stale.

Behind that, theres been a few additions which is a positive. But still we haven't massively improved.

stones was already in our team, and none of our young players have come in and got into the starting 11.

Behind that, theres been a few additions which is a positive. But still we haven't massively improved.

Ok I think we have the potential to be better than two years ago because the players have improved. If we had lost any of the ones I mentioned we would have been weaker even if we had brought replacements in as I dont think they would have been good as what we have in those positions.

That's why personally i'd hope to see Deulofeu starting mate, would say also Cleverley when fit again deserves to be playing - personally think he's been the most consistent of our lot in the early doors of the season although not at the expense of Mirallas on the left - which means dropping Barry which we all know won't happen

Lennon will do more for the team overall with the cover that he provides for the fullback than Deulofeu and Mirallas will, and Martinez will see that. Doesn't mean Mirallas and Deulofeu can't play big parts this season or that all 3 can't play at the same time either. I think those three would be a massive threat with Lennon and Deulofeu on the wing, Barkley in the centre with Mirallas behind Lukaku.

Now that would be worth seeing......

-------------Howard--------------
Coleman-Stones-Jagielka-Baines
----------------Barry--------------
Lennon-McCarthy-Barkley-Mirallas
---------------Lukaku---------------

Subs: Robles, Kone, Naismith, Cleverley, Besic, Del, Mori

Res: Hibbo, Gibbo, Aids, Bry, Ozzie, Peanuts, Browning, Galloway

With Lennon coming in we need to make the most of our ability to break with pace. 4-1-4-1 does this, and also allowes flexibility in terms of switching it up without a 'natural' playmaker.
I would have cleverly next to Barkley
And drop McCarthy back for Barry
I've been surprised by cleverly
And I think he offers more than McCarthy going forward

I've said on here before but IMO
McCarthy plays sitting infront of the back 4 or doesn't play for me

Ok I think we have the potential to be better than two years ago because the players have improved. If we had lost any of the ones I mentioned we would have been weaker even if we had brought replacements in as I dont think they would have been good as what we have in those positions.

Right now mate i think we'd have been a lot more positive about our chances this season if Baines wouldn't have got crocked, the amount he creates for us can't be overestimated, not to mention the fact we look hugely weaker on that side of the park when under the cosh as well

Why the negativity over Lennon? He was one of the main reasons why our slump ended last season and provided the defensive cover we need from the wing.

We concede far too many goals at the moment and I reckon with Lennon in the team, we'll start conceding less.

We now have a very good starting 11 and a lot of squad depth. Even since Moyes' time here we've improved dramatically. If we don't achieve a top 6/7 finish this season it will be down to poor managerial decisions or under performing by the players. It's unacceptable if we don't finish in the top 7 in my opinion.

Top 7? That's ambitious. When you put it like that, we have a great squad. Just don't expect Stones, Barkley, Lukaku and co. to be around for too much longer. Why would they? To finish top 7!? Dreaming.

The negativity stems from the fact that we have a core group of exceptional youngsters, that with the right signings, we should be aiming for higher then top 7. Much, much higher.

This is fundamentally the issue. In order to finish higher, you need to score more goals. Those goals need to come from somewhere. Why do you think Spurs let him go?

Martinez plays 4-3-3... now think about where Lennon plays. The fact is he averages 3 goals a season. Nowhere near good enough for a player in his position. As an FYI, Mirallas averages 7 and he divides opinion.

Lennon is a good squad player. Should we be spending £4.5 on him when we have major gaps in other positions?

Lets see.

if they're fit and in form we just put Mirallas, Barkley, Deulofeu and one other, take your pick, behind
Lukaku. One DM - McCarthy if he's in consistant good form, and the back four picks itself.

We've got plenty of depth to cover when needed except for RB and CF, unless you count Kone.

All IMO, of course.

Top 7? That's ambitious. When you put it like that, we have a great squad. Just don't expect Stones, Barkley, Lukaku and co. to be around for too much longer. Why would they? To finish top 7!? Dreaming.

The negativity stems from the fact that we have a core group of exceptional youngsters, that with the right signings, we should be aiming for higher then top 7. Much, much higher.

This is fundamentally the issue. In order to finish higher, you need to score more goals. Those goals need to come from somewhere. Why do you think Spurs let him go?

Martinez plays 4-3-3... now think about where Lennon plays. The fact is he averages 3 goals a season. Nowhere near good enough for a player in his position. As an FYI, Mirallas averages 7 and he divides opinion.

Lennon is a good squad player. Should we be spending £4.5 on him when we have major gaps in other positions?

Lets see.

Agree with a lot of what you are saying in terms of what we should be aiming for. For me, the frustration comes from persisting with things that don't always work. E.g Barry in the middle every time and now Kone on the wing.

That's why personally i'd hope to see Deulofeu starting mate, would say also Cleverley when fit again deserves to be playing - personally think he's been the most consistent of our lot in the early doors of the season although not at the expense of Mirallas on the left - which means dropping Barry which we all know won't happen

Wouldn't say it's beyond the realms of belief. Atm he has some good games and some bad, if he becomes more consistently bad like against Spurs I'm sure he'll be dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.