John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means he will move if the club are willing to sell him. I think he wants to move. I would want to move if I were him. Doesn't detract from his willing to play for Everton in anyway.

Chelsea will pay him more money. He's as talented as Cahill/Zouma so why does everyone assume he won't play any football there; he's clearly good enough.

But people are pushing the theory that the board have pressured him into handing in a request, to save the board face. What would John have to gain by agreeing to that request? Do you honestly think he'd say to Bill 'okay Bill, I'll look like the bad guy, and lose a few million in the process, just to save you some face me old chum.'

Why is it bizarre mate?

It leaves us with 5 days to reinvest forty million pounds. This isn't possible, so the board will keep the money and we'll never see it again.

Not bizzare at all. Completely predictable.

so what the board have told him to put a transfer request in so they can kee the money? are you honestly that deluded you would think that?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Martinez is tactically very good, and he certainly has increased the value of his players throughout his time here. Moyes may have found some diamonds, but Roberto has been keeping players better, and many youngsters have appreciated. Stones wasn't worth 40M last year, and that's partially due to Roberto.

Last edited:
so what the board have told him to put a transfer request in so they can kee the money? are you honestly that deluded you would think that?

Your right Dan, not a chance that happened, no way, he put a request in more like but his agent/Chelsea told him too, anyone who thinks different is clouded by other issues with the board.

Wouldn't be surprised if any of the major clubs make a discreet promise to make good any money he loses as a result of handing in a transfer request.

Martinez wont walk. He's not a drama queen and he's too professional. I'm pretty sure he'll have been told incoming cash would fund his transfer money this summer (his statement early in the window about late signings tend to underline that) so this fits in. I dont think he bargained for it to go down to the wire though. He has to be concerned. He always says re windows: we'll leave stronger than we entered them. Well he has an uphill struggle in that respect. I do wonder if he's dealing with owners now dragging their feet and being unhelpful on targets. That's my worry.

We'll see when we get this snake out of the club and receive the money from his sale. But the tick of the clock is deafening now.

Well yes I think you are right on that. I suspect he had planned to sell one of our other assets and not Stones. It may not even be the owners dragging their feet, we are left with a real possibility of struggling to get deals over the line. Kiev are very tough negotiators. Then you are looking to buy from English teams players who have good first team experience, why would they sell at this late stage at the right price?

Do you give much truck to the train of thought that Kenwright has engineered the Stones transfer request?

Agree with everything you say.
Hopefully Stones will at least maintain his value which gives Everton another two years before they seriously have to think about a new contract or a sale.
The contract Stones is on is probably modest enough considering that it was signed when he wasn't really established, Everton really are in a strong position for once.

I think that he won't be sold this window but a gentlemans agreement put in place that for a certain fee(40M-50M) that he will be allowed to leave next year.
Stones plays one more for Everton, which isn't really a chore for him,Everton have twelve months to replace him and other clubs can come into the reckoning if they wish.

I think a gentlemans agreement could be into place, for a fee of around 35-40 million to allow him to move on next summer.

But people are pushing the theory that the board have pressured him into handing in a request, to save the board face. What would John have to gain by agreeing to that request? Do you honestly think he'd say to Bill 'okay Bill, I'll look like the bad guy, and lose a few million in the process, just to save you some face me old chum.'

I'm not one of those people. That's a bit too much subversion to shoehorn into the anti-board rhetoric for my liking.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. He fancies playing for Chelsea and has told Everton he'll forgo his bonus if they sell him. That's it.
The timing stinks, but the only people to blame here are Chelsea.

looks like we will become the best-selling club...is there any trophy for that?
As a Bulls fan, we are the "Financial Champs" many years running. The only thing you get is pissed off, and get to post happy pictures of the owner when he chooses money over the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.