Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless we are playing a top team who will dominate possession I would rather see Barkley or Cleverly in the middle. Both provide better offense and passing, and the difference defensively is getting smaller and smaller.
I thought that Barry's passing was quite good today and that was the reason he was put in at left back when Martinez switched things up (as his delivery into the box is better than Galloway's).

My issue with Barry starting in games like today is that a more mobile player could help us to open up space better and when teams sit deep and hit us on the counter they would potentially offer us more cover in those few instances that we are under pressure.

In the roles he was asked to play today though he did fine in my eyes.

He's okay in a defensive 4-3-3 set up like against Utd last season but in a 4-2-3-1 or in a more attacking set up he's too slow to be able to effectively cover the back 4. Our CB's were poor today no doubt but for me he's been a big part to blame all last season and again today he can't be relied upon if people expect Mccarthy to get up the field more.

useless
ˈjuːsləs/
adjective
  1. not fulfilling or not expected to achieve the intended purpose or desired outcome.
    "a piece of useless knowledge"
    synonyms: futile, pointless, purposeless, impractical, vain, in vain, to no purpose, to no avail, unavailing, bootless, nugatory, hopeless, unusable, ineffectual,inefficacious, impotent, fruitless, unprofitable, profitless, unproductive,unachievable, Sisyphean; More

Yeah he's done. Can't have 2 defensive MIDs and concede like we do so someone has to go.

I think someone like Henderson has shown you don't have to be skilled at the job to do the job just need to run about, which Cleverly and Besic have.

What's up with people wanting our DM's to be much-much more than just a DM? Slagging Barry off for not providing creative passes, criticizing McCarthy for the similar reasons. They are defensive midfielders, it's not they fault that they have to play together.

Barry did OK today, don't see why he's 'done' or 'finished'.

i think he's still a useful player to have in the squad. but he should not be playing alongside mccarthy against watford at home

Was it just me who thought he had a good game?

We all know he's nearly running on empty in terms of ability nowadays, but he was getting about, and winning some key headers today for me. By all means, we conceded two, but you can't blame Barry directly can you?

I am open to praise and criticise players, but I thought Barry was one of our "better" players today.

I thought that Barry's passing was quite good today and that was the reason he was put in at left back when Martinez switched things up (as his delivery into the box is better than Galloway's).

My issue with Barry starting in games like today is that a more mobile player could help us to open up space better and when teams sit deep and hit us on the counter they would potentially offer us more cover in those few instances that we are under pressure.

In the roles he was asked to play today though he did fine in my eyes.

I thought he was fine, but I think on a team that sits back more defensively I would rather have Cleverly or Barkley in the middle. Although for that to happen to the full extent we need McCarthy to be playing to his level. Having a poor game for McCarthy really throws off our ability to control a match.

If you see the post by NSNOChris on another thread, he thinks rumour wise that the contract drawn up for Barry was said to guarantee him starting 85% of the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.