Tom Cleverley

Happy with signing Cleverley ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a 25 year old, England capped, home grown player on a free transfer is good business.

Leaves what little money we have to play with for other deals (Deulofeu hopefully)

......the better players take the ball on the turn, look at Rooney. That is the difference to safe players. I always thought Rodwell was a safe player, plays the ball the way he is facing whereas Osman has the quality to change direction. I think Cleverley is good business, I think a real area for improvement is his finishing. He gets in some great forward positions just needs to convert more chances.

That aspect of Cleverley's game improved under Sherwood. Cleverley will be a good addition to the squad and Martinez has worked with him before so knows his strengths and weaknesses.

Cleverly has more skill than most midfielders. We need depth in the midfield. He doesnt cost a transfer fee. He is a younger player.

The worst thing that comes of this is we have someone who fills in a few minutes during the season or FA cup. The best is that he replaces Barry and is paired with McCarthy; pushing Barkley up the pitch with Lukakau.

Maybe that works?

cat7.gif

Good to get Cleverley using last seasons Distin and Alcaraz wages , thats easily the 50k a week suggested. No go and get us Van Dijk to fill gap left for from these two.

Decent signing on a free. He'll do a job for us.

I think the best thing that could happen to Cleverly now is we get a marque signing in to take the limelight off him. If he's the center of attention on his debut and it doesn't go as well as hoped it could knock his confidence which I'm sure is fragile after the last few years.

Decent signing on a free, could turn out to be a great one if he can reproduce some of his late season form with Villa on a regular basis.

Honestly don't see why people have a problem with it as like others have said, worst case scenario is it doesn't work out and we flog him for a profit. What's not to like?! Hopefully though he does well and proves all the negative nancies wrong...

Martinez has stated one of his priorities this summer is recruiting a number 10. Although it's good he's recognised we need this position strengthening, I'm wondering if he's looking to bring in a creative player who can link the midfield and attack, playing to Lukaku's strengths.

I'm a little concerned that maybe he's targeting Cleverley to fill that spot, because I don't think he's good enough or even the right style of player to do so successfully.

My concern is that Martinez won't find anyone at all, or will bring someone in who is a different type of player; both scenarios will mean we'll have a square peg in a round hole again like last season.

Will be interesting to see what (and who) he's got in mind and how it pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.