Happy with signing Cleverley ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a medical today.

He+will+something+to+the+_48d8227c6a6be9196f07790dc8395f88.gif

sky saying he is having medical today.

I may end up wrong but I think this will be a good signing for us in the long term. He isn't a world class player but we don't need that, a midfield who can do their job is good enough for me.

At the end of the day Mccarthy was an uninspired signing and he is quality for us so happy to give cleverly time to show his worth.

Well this is the key really....if Mirallas goes we seriously need to invest in some swaggering arseholes to play higher up the pitch as we are woefully short there at the moment.

Football is a very simple game really. We need more players who receive the ball and then do something to make it appear in the opposition net. Cleverly is a 'tidy in possession' player, but we have plenty of them.

Get the feeling I'm one of the only people on here that's pleased about this deal. Good age, good experience and no big transfer fee.

We need deals like this to be able to afford more exciting signings.

Unreal that people are freaking out so much. Hes on a free transfer- even if we signed him today and sold him tomorrow we would make a few quid- if he works out fantastic, even if hes really poor we will recoup a transfer fee.

Hes young, energetic with a point to prove he performed pretty well under Martinez before so could do again. Hes different to what we already have and is a really good age.

Think its a great bit of business and people should see it as that.

Hes having a medical now ahead of a 5 year deal.

Happy with this personally. He's agile, quick and dogged enough with good technical ability.

Hopefully the crowd can be patient and he'll grow in confidence enough to start imposing himself more, which he doesn't do enough at the moment.

Be interesting to see if he gets played deeper or in a "number 10" of sorts.

Unreal that people are freaking out so much. Hes on a free transfer- even if we signed him today and sold him tomorrow we would make a few quid- if he works out fantastic, even if hes really poor we will recoup a transfer fee.

Hes young, energetic with a point to prove he performed pretty well under Martinez before so could do again. Hes different to what we already have and is a really good age.

He's a solid signing. I'm just taking exception to people thinking he shouldn't get stick off the fans if he deserves it for some imaginary, arbitrary length of time.

Obviously the lad likes Martinez, and seems like Bobby needs all the support he can get in that dressing room. That's the biggest thing he has to address this summer IMO.

Football is a very simple game really. We need more players who receive the ball and then do something to make it appear in the opposition net. Cleverly is a 'tidy in possession' player, but we have plenty of them.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with that. I don't think we have enough of them.

Last season was horrible at times because we were trying to play a brand of football that we didn't have the players (particularly in midfield) to play.

Pienaar and Osman, despite their ages and limitations are both intelligent, technical players who allow us to play that sort of football and bring others into the game. We lacked that last season. Cleverley isn't world class, but he brings some of that technical ability to bring others into the game. A football team is all about balance and whilst Pienaar and Osman in particular aren't crowd favourites, we miss them when one or both aren't available. I doubt Cleverley will ever be a crowd favourite (I hope I'm wrong) as he doesn't do the eye-catching stuff, but I think what he will do is provide a bit of intelligence and technique in attacking areas and bring our match-winners into the game more.

It's a bit like when I see people suggesting we should play with a midfield three behind Lukaku of Mirallas, Barkley and Lennon. Martinez doesn't do that because that would give you nobody who can manipulate space and play the intelligent pass. They all have their uses, but you need balance and I think (not singling you out here btw mate) that a lot of our fans miss this aspect.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with that. I don't think we have enough of them.

Last season was horrible at times because we were trying to play a brand of football that we didn't have the players (particularly in midfield) to play.

Pienaar and Osman, despite their ages and limitations are both intelligent, technical players who allow us to play that sort of football and bring others into the game. We lacked that last season. Cleverley isn't world class, but he brings some of that technical ability to bring others into the game. A football team is all about balance and whilst Pienaar and Osman in particular aren't crowd favourites, we miss them when one or both aren't available. I doubt Cleverley will ever be a crowd favourite (I hope I'm wrong) as he doesn't do the eye-catching stuff, but I think what he will do is provide a bit of intelligence and technique in attacking areas and bring our match-winners into the game more.

It's a bit like when I see people suggesting we should play with a midfield three behind Lukaku of Mirallas, Barkley and Lennon. Martinez doesn't do that because that would give you nobody who can manipulate space and play the intelligent pass. They all have their uses, but you need balance and I think (not singling you out here btw mate) that a lot of our fans miss this aspect.

Finally. Some sense.

......the better players take the ball on the turn, look at Rooney. That is the difference to safe players. I always thought Rodwell was a safe player, plays the ball the way he is facing whereas Osman has the quality to change direction. I think Cleverley is good business, I think a real area for improvement is his finishing. He gets in some great forward positions just needs to convert more chances.

I think my new avatar is about to be born.

Status
Not open for further replies.