Start of Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
lets face it what do americans know about football and its history, they havent got one. pre beckham going there
Yeah, we're a bit different over here, that's for sure. Z-Cars, YNWA, and the bubble thing over at West Ham are positively awkward to our American sensibilities, where pre-game music is usually meant to pump up a crowd through the creation of a hostile environment. Hence, Metallica, AC/DC, and the like are more common.

Yeah, we're a bit different over here, that's for sure. Z-Cars, YNWA, and the bubble thing over at West Ham are positively awkward to our American sensibilities, where pre-game music is usually meant to pump up a crowd through the creation of a hostile environment. Hence, Metallica, AC/DC, and the like are more common.
z cars certainly pumps me up :)

z cars certainly pumps me up :)
Sure--but what I said was "pump up...through the creation of a hostile environment." Z-Cars and show tunes and bubbles may well be perfect anthems for certain clubs--I love Z-Cars myself...but they're not exactly intimidating. So, in a culture where music at sports is typically meant specifically to intimidate, you can understand the quizzical look on our collective faces.

The Fair Play handshake garbage should take place in the centre circle to allow more of Z Cars to be heard. Chelsea do theirs right over the far side of the pitch so they can soak up all their vocal support as they make their way over there.

Sure--but what I said was "pump up...through the creation of a hostile environment." Z-Cars and show tunes and bubbles may well be perfect anthems for certain clubs--I love Z-Cars myself...but they're not exactly intimidating. So, in a culture where music at sports is typically meant specifically to intimidate, you can understand the quizzical look on our collective faces.
The Yanks are missing the point the original Z Cars theme is the tune from Johnny Todd which is an old Liverpool sea shanty. Its traditional and local.

I've been in Canada for years now, and while its not the States they too like their pump-up music before the match. To be honest, I don't like the way it is done over here, especially for the hockey. There is no real atmosphere to speak of most of the time, and then they do all this dross crap on the telly screens to get the crowd to participate with their jarg noise-o-meters. Nobody in those stadiums has any real sort of connection to the music like we do with Z cars. We identify that song with the mighty blues and so when we hear it, we don't just hear that music, it invokes memories of every game we have ever been to at Goodison and gees you right up. Well for me at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.