Free Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly off-topic but the following players are out of contract next summer:

Doumbia, Yarmolenko, Konoplyanka, Milner, Elm, Ayew, Huntelaar, Pato, Abate, Delph, Wickham, Cleverley

As well as Khedira, Marcelo, Sirigu, Lichtsteiner, Danny, Dzsudzsak, Giovinco, Ruffier, Adebayor, Rolando, Mbia, Samba, Gignac, Maxi Pereira, Zambrano, Schär, Mavuba, Uchida, Sergi Roberto, Noble, Reinartz, Luiz Adriano, Jonathan, Moisander, Kaboul, Vlaar, Terry, Carrick, Arteta, Joao Pereira, Reid, Gourcuff, Chantome, Mulumbu, Nyom, Adama Traore;...

In here contracts are ending only to Distin, Osman and Alcaraz + Hibbert and maybe Psienaar and Kone we will need to replace as well... A lot of possible quality options we have there, hopefully Roberto will once again look after these... especially a CB, RB and CM should be easy to sign...

oh and Konoplyanka and Yarmolenko... how boss it would be to have two boss Ukraine little pacy guys on our wings... :)

There's a reason most of these are now free....
Hurrah! At least someone talks else talks sense.

If they haven't got a club by now, then I really can't see them being suited for the top echelons of PL football.

The talk of Ronaldinho just makes me chuckle as well. He's nowhere near the calibre he once was.

Would he start? No. Improve the squad? Doubtful. Shirt sales? Negligible as he's not got the same status as he once was.

Significant wage demands? Probably. It's another instance of name over brain. Just use the kids.

Hurrah! At least someone talks else talks sense.

If they haven't got a club by now, then I really can't see them being suited for the top echelons of PL football.

The talk of Ronaldinho just makes me chuckle as well. He's nowhere near the calibre he once was.

Would he start? No. Improve the squad? Doubtful. Shirt sales? Negligible as he's not got the same status as he once was.

Significant wage demands? Probably. It's another instance of name over brain. Just use the kids.

We literally signed a free like 2 weeks ago.

A couple of these could easily do a job for us.

We signed Eto'o who has been a world class striker in his day, who still scored goals for Chelsea last season and touted by lots of other clubs over the summer. He was never going to be a free for a long time. Arguably he'll compete for a starting position.

That's slightly different from the other names who've been touted here.

Martinez has youthful options available, who I imagine cost a lot less and I'm sure will do the job if required.

Unless they're genuinely going to compete for a starting XI now, or in the foreseeable future, then it's not worth it.

We signed Eto'o who has been a world class striker in his day, who still scored goals for Chelsea last season and touted by lots of other clubs over the summer. He was never going to be a free for a long time. Arguably he'll compete for a starting position.

That's slightly different from the other names who've been touted here.

Martinez has youthful options available, who I imagine cost a lot less and I'm sure will do the job if required.

Unless they're genuinely going to compete for a starting XI now, or in the foreseeable future, then it's not worth it.

So we're only buying players who will go straight into our first 11 now?

Poor Besic. Because he certainly isn't at the moment.

Some on the list for sure aren't worth a bean. But others would offer some value.

Our forward line seems to be incredibly injury prone so far in this short stage of the season. Jonas could definitely do a season's worth of work when needed.

Please tell me your knowledge of the other 2 (Ninis and Nilmar).

So we're only buying players who will go straight into our first 11 now?

Poor Besic. Because he certainly isn't at the moment.

Some on the list for sure aren't worth a bean. But others would offer some value.

Our forward line seems to be incredibly injury prone so far in this short stage of the season. Jonas could definitely do a season's worth of work when needed.

Please tell me your knowledge of the other 2 (Ninis and Nilmar).
No I didn't say that. As I originally stated:

'Unless they're going to genuinely compete for a starting XI now, or in the foreseeable future, then it's not worth it.'

I can imagine Besic will play in the foreseeable future, especially with necessary rotation, hence he has added to the squad.

With regards to the forward line. We have Lukaku, Eto'o, Naismith and a returning Kone. Mirallas can play there as well.

Can we justify spending money on another striker, who'll most probably not regularly contest at the least the first three?

To me that rules out the need for Jonas and Nilmar. We'd all like extra cover, but we need to be sensible about necessity.

Ninis as a winger is probably the most tempting one, but again I wonder about his quality and necessity.

We have McGeady, Mirallas, Atsu, Pienaar and I'm sure some of the front men will drop to a wider position in cases.

In the centre (where he prefers) he could make an impact I guess, but then there is Barkley, Osman and Naismjth.

So, as I originally stated, unless they can genuinely compete for a starting XI now or in the future then it's a nay from me.

Otherwise you're going to be paying a sign on fee and wages for third or fourth place cover, and very rarely play.

I'd rather see the kids do that option and keep our wage bill sensible. In the long term it's the safe way.

As Groucho also mentioned, they're normally free for a reason.

It's like buying something you don't need simply because it's got 90% off

Just because they're free doesn't mean they're always going to be good enough!

If there was a quality defender available then I'd say yay, otherwise I 'my happy as we are.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.