David Moyes sacked - What if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGW89

Player Valuation: £35m
This is an alternate history thread related to "How long did Moyes hold us back" post

This thread is to gauge your opinions as to how the recent history of EFC would have panned out if Moyes had been sacked at various junctures in his career with us.

The key dates on around which he could have been sacked are:

14th March 2002 - What if he had never been appointed at all? What alternatives were there and how would they have performed.

15th May 2004 - After losing 5-1 to Manchester City and a 17th place finish, it finally becomes apparent that he has lost the dressing room and is sacked.

19th November 2005 - After a 4-0 tanking at the Hawthorns leaves EFC in the bottom three, Moyes is sacked

28th December 2005 - Everton lose their 4th game in succession, with Liverpool getting an easy 3-1 win in the Goodison derby. Moyes' position is unteneble

13th February 2011 - After a 2-0 reverse to Bolton, possibly the worst performance he has EVER overseen, he is sacked with Everton in midtable and their future still uncertain.

13th March 2012 - A 3-0 humiliation in the Anfield derby proves the last straw, he is sacked exactly ten years to the day that he was appointed manager.

9th March 2013 - Everton are destroyed by Wigan in the FA Cup and Moyes is out.

Obviously BK would never have dreamed sack the ginger goblin, but no fuse is infinite.

The last one doesn't deviate too far from the original timeline and it seems he was already manc bound by that time, but would two more months of a new manager have made a difference? Would Martinez, still with Wigan fighting for safety and en-route to Wembley success, have still made the jump?

TL;DR

FILE-Wigan-Athletic-Give-Liverpool-FC-Permission-To-Speak-With-Manager-Roberto-Martinez-837931.jpg

First of all I don't see Martinez saying yes to anyone midseason. I also don't think he would ever join up with a skint team that just fired a manager after a top 8 finish.

I don't think we would have went down.

There is a reason Everton FC have played more seasons in English top flight football than any other team.

We ain't relegation fodder.

And I refuse to believe that in all the whole wide football world only Mr. David Moyes was capable of keeping us out the Grim Football Reaper's maw.

I've said this since day one.

Had he not been appointed, I think Everton would have been relegated with almost absolute certainty.

He was the perfect man for the job when he was hired.

Nail > head

And Bobby was the perfect man to take over the baton

I don't think we would have went down.

There is a reason Everton FC have played more seasons in English top flight football than any other team.

We ain't relegation fodder.

And I refuse to believe that in all the whole wide football world only Mr. David Moyes was capable of keeping us out the Grim Football Reaper's maw.
This all day long.

When you look at the team Moyes put out in his first game against Fulham it had Weir, Ferguson, Unsworth, Stubbs, Gravesen, Carsley in - far too good to go down but not good enough to compete at the top.

That's what Moyes did he reined in ambition and consolidated. Fine temporarily but not for 11 years (well not for some of us)

We were not as bad a situation, when Moyes took over, as people beleive.

At THAT point we were MASSIVELY under-acheiving. So Moyes comes in and makes us do better.....HAILED AS MASSIVE SUCCESSS.

Anyone see the the problem in that last line ????

Right their is were the Moyes expectation train started its journey!

Let's say moyes was fired in 2004, can anyone identify which managers would have been available at that time? O'neill?

We were not as bad a situation, when Moyes took over, as people beleive.

At THAT point we were MASSIVELY under-acheiving. So Moyes comes in and makes us do better.....HAILED AS MASSIVE SUCCESSS.

Anyone see the the problem in that last line ????

Right their is were the Moyes expectation train started its journey!

Oh come on.

We had finished in the top half of the season once in the decade prior to him coming in and survived relegation on the last day of the season twice in the last few years.

Oh come on.

We had finished in the top half of the season once in the decade prior to him coming in and survived relegation on the last day of the season twice in the last few years.

So why is Kendal & Walker not hailed as hero's for keeping us up on the last day of the seaosn ???

Keeping Everton in the league is not a miricle.

Like I said, that was us under-acheiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.