Everton v Southampton. 29th Dec @ 13.30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting observation on conditioning. Man U fans even after there poor start EXPECTED to get back into the top 4...years of positive reinforcement.
After 1 poor game, a lot of Evertonians are very nervous. We have been conditioned to expect less than top success.

I am SURE the players feel as their fan base does.

Roberto's HUGE challenge is to overcome that nervous, negative mindset. Big ask....particularly in his first season with this squad which carries a lot of mental baggage.

Great post mate and I've touched upon it a couple of times myself. Bobby is already doing it, winning at OT, dominating the Arse in their back yard, going for the kill against the ****e. 30% skill but 70% mental attitude is football and I think he's sorting that side of things out weekly.

There was a long ball by Distin against Sunderland which was rushed, ****e, and without need. The fans got onto it very quickly because we are now accustomed to it being played from the back and not of this kick and hope ****e. So as fans we are already getting used to what is expected.

Oviedo hoofed it against the mancs and Jags and Distin gave him an earful for just giving possession away cheaply. Shows the players are onto it as well.

Don't get me wrong either, sometimes a good ****ing hoof is required and then a scrap for possession but the lads and Martinez in particular are drumming this positivity thing and for me personally its a breath of fresh air blowing away the cobwebs.

Just seen this on Southampton forum.

Admittedly, we don't have Boruc, Wanyama or Schneiderlin but should have Osvaldo, Lovren and Clyne. COYR!!!

Didn't know 3 of them are out, thats good news!

....Arsenal-like in the top third, we will have to ride our luck to win because they are likely to get in on goal, especially without Barry who is excellent in that space where they are so dangerous. It will probably be a toe-to-toe scrap and there's no reason why we shouldn't bag more than them.

This is the last match of the first half of the season. Somehow it feels significant, like it's goint to be a match I will remember years from now.
I have to admit I was not in the pro-Martinez camp when he was chosen, and that when thinking back to the pre-season matches in the US at that point I was seeing a team that had already improved the passing and the signs of how we would come to play was already there if a little less than sturdy defensively. Still, I was preparing for a transitional season and top half would be acceptable.

Since then, and with every game Everton has improved to the point where being 5 points off the top of the table at the half way point, should we beat Southampton, is a slight disappointment probably made more bitter by the defeat to Sunderland last. And when watching the teams around us play I'm left thinking we can actually beat them, not by being (p)lucky and definitely not by overachieving, but because we play the better football.

I am all for being realistic and taking our opponents seriously, but I hope Evertonians don't stop showing their excitement with the way the team is playing and how success is completely in our own hands now, and this is only the beginning.

Just win Everton, I don't care who scores but a Lukaku or a Jelavic goal would put a huge smile on my face.

Very, very important game this. If we don't get a result a real gap is likely to open up between ourselves and the current top 4. United and Newcastle will be breathing down our necks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.