2023/24 Sean Dyche

We were without doucs in the first spurs match and although we didn't prevail I thought we were the better team and unfortunate recipients of a poor penalty call. I just want to see that combativeness , I just feel the attempts at pragmatism are limiting us rather than providing a stabilizing aspect.
The pragmatism is what's won us more points than last season though.

We were the better team against Spurs because of the way they play and our pressing being able to exploit that.

He's not the right manager in the long term, but I'm 100% sure Dyche would do better than Kompany with the current Burnley team. Imo they are better on paper than Sheffield and Luton and should be above them. They look dreadful offensively and defensively this season -33 goal difference. About the spending, in Dyche's 10yrs from 12/13 to 21/22 200 million pounds were spent, and 130 were received. Which means around 70 net spend. In the 2 Kompany seasons 130 were spent and 80 received, = 50 net. Source: transfermarkt.de

He's not the right manager in the long term, but I'm 100% sure Dyche would do better than Kompany with the current Burnley team. Imo they are better on paper than Sheffield and Luton and should be above them. They look dreadful offensively and defensively this season -33 goal difference. About the spending, in Dyche's 10yrs from 12/13 to 21/22 200 million pounds were spent, and 130 were received. Which means around 70 net spend. In the 2 Kompany seasons 130 were spent and 80 received, = 50 net. Source: transfermarkt.de
If you have time, delve into the vaults on the topic of Kompany and Dyche from last season. Its magic.

If you have time, delve into the vaults on the topic of Kompany and Dyche from last season. Its magic.
I will do it, once I got time. I watched Burnley the last season 4-5 times and yes the football was miles better than in Dyche's time, no doubt about that.
In the end, football is a result sport and points count and u don't win the beauty contest with it. The Championship and Prem League are different levels. Burnley failed to adapt to the league level. Norwich showed a few times how difficult that is. I was pretty sure that this type of football wouldn't work for team like Burnley which are a top 3 side on 2nd tier level, but bottom 3 on 1st league level.

Dyche never played mind-blowing football, but in the majority of his time at Burnley, they were an opponent you hated to face because you knew it wouldn't be a beautiful game to watch and you play a persistent team that can get unexpected points. I don't know what Burnley stands for this season and don't have this feeling right now.

When you say 'team selections' is there any player you think should be playing more than someone else? Someone who has regularly been left on the bench who you think might have made such a big difference? Who would you play in place of McNeil for example?

I see fellas often criticising us saying we play too much hoof ball. What style of play do you think we should adopt?
Hoofball is dyche’s style , he ain’t changing. I want a manager who wants to play more football who coaches players actual patterns of play, who will attack teams especially at home instead of sitting back and boring everyone to tears. And can change to in game situations and not just to a Plan A.

Well Dobbin has had an hour since his Chelsea goal, in 11 games I think it is, and in that time doucoure and danjuma have been out, he’s given more game time on the wing to Ashley young. Beto has deserved more minutes to. The last 2 games he’s left Onana on the bench, he’s picked a CB at right back.

Im not saying dobbin and Beto or Patterson are the answer. But regarding the front line. McNeil, Harrison and DCL have had really poor seasons yet get picked 9 times out of 10

I will do it, once I got time. I watched Burnley the last season 4-5 times and yes the football was miles better than in Dyche's time, no doubt about that.
In the end, football is a result sport and points count and u don't win the beauty contest with it. The Championship and Prem League are different levels. Burnley failed to adapt to the league level. Norwich showed a few times how difficult that is. I was pretty sure that this type of football wouldn't work for team like Burnley which are a top 3 side on 2nd tier level, but bottom 3 on 1st league level.

Dyche never played mind-blowing football, but in the majority of his time at Burnley, they were an opponent you hated to face because you knew it wouldn't be a beautiful game to watch and you play a persistent team that can get unexpected points. I don't know what Burnley stands for this season and don't have this feeling right now.
But it’s a similar situation with us and Moyes. He made us a very steady top 8 side, but he couldn’t take us any further, never won at the big 4 and bottled a number of big games, because ultimately he was a safety first manager.

I bet all these non Everton fans, pundits, journalists think 95% of Everton fans would take Moyes back tomorrow when in reality it’s probably 50/50. Because we all know what we’re getting.

And it could be the same with Burnley fans, maybe they will take being a yo-yo club for a few years, because of a different mentality shift at the club and a different more easy in the eye style, buying different types of players, not just 6ft 4 brutes
After 10yrs of dyche. And it was dyche that get them relegated and it was inevitable in the end as they’d been close for a few seasons.

Broken record in this thread sir

You’ll give yourself a heart attack doing this until the end of next season

The guy is keeping us up and will do a similar crap/good job next season and keep us up again. I’m pretty sure of it

The clubs been run into the ground, and we should be thankful that for now our punishment is just crap football and an unfashionable manager. It could be way worse given how far we have fallen. You may not think we have, and as such expect more right this moment, but most will disagree.

If you did a poll asking if we will have funds to spend in the summer I’d say the vast majority would say no. I think you are setting yourself up for a fall there. There’s so much up in the air in regards to ownership and funds,

Settle in it’s going to be a long boring road to end of next season, and very few of us will be actively loving it so you could give the gnashing of teeth a bit of a rest every now and then maybe
You’re just a glass half empty while I’m a glass half full, that’s the difference.

The majority of fans thought moshiri was going to be the bees knees, but he wasn’t most think 777 are going to be disastrous, they’re selling all our best players and not replacing them, they’re selling BMD and giving dyche a 10yr deal and sticking his face on the side of the new ground.

We don’t know if it will be 777 or somebody else, but change Is coming and we have to hope it’s for the better. Maybe they will get in a board that actually knows what they’re doing, unlike moshiri and a sporting teams and let’s them do the job and not have every Tom, [Poor language removed] and harry thinking they’re experts when it comes to buying players and listening to agents in their ears.

Here's the actual chances created table:

View attachment 247473

And while we're on the subject of random tables to try and further agendas, here's the 'hit the woodwork' table:

View attachment 247474

We create plenty of chances, we just don't put away as many as we should.

Who's arsed if they come from open play or not?

Any neutral seeing we have:

A: The 4th best defence in the league.
B: 2nd highest team to hit the woodwork
C: Create 10th most chances

Would surely assume were a top 6 side.

But as our forwards dont score instead many of our fans blame Dyche.

Mad.

Mad.

Top 6 is a bit fanciful. More like solid midtable with an outside chance of squeezing into the top 8.

Mad.
But our chance creation stats have dropped over the last couple of months. Are teams setting up to nullify us. Playing 3 big centre backs, working harder to stop our threats from set pieces. Let’s see if dyche’s has answers, because going off the run we’re on, which is relegation form he doesn’t

Surely there's a middle ground in the Sean Dyche debate? It seems like almost every fan is either totally behind him or totally against him.

I think he's done well with the tools at his disposal and the state of the club behind the scenes. Other clubs with troubles off the pitch have collapsed in recent history, like Aston Villa, Newcastle and Leicester. Everton could've done the same, and we may still go down, but we're giving ourselves every opportunity of staying up. The players aren't the most gifted bunch in the world but never once this season have I thought they didn't put a shift in.

But it would also be naive to suggest Dyche doesn't have a glass ceiling, and nobody can seriously deny that Everton are one of the worst sides to watch in the league?

There has to come a time in the near future, not necessarily this Summer, when Everton say thank you and move on. Because like Burnley, this sort of football will only see you right in this league for so long. Look at how badly we've fallen off with Doucoure out.

I think it just depends who Everton could attract to the club, no crazy gambles like a manager that's just had a good few months.
I agree with you in part. It's possible to not like everything he does but at the same time think he's done a good job overall so far, considering all the circus that's been going on in the background and the lack of available funds for transfers.

On how good we are to watch, I think we dropped off a cliff in that regard after the Duke's injury at the back end of last year. Up to that point we were looking quite good going forward. Yes we were still very direct, which some don't like, but we had a good press going on and were countering well and created a lot of chances. Duke's injury derailed us a little bit because we don't have another player with his skillset. You could then blame Dyche for not having a plan B but I think that's a bit unfair considering our lack of financial resources.

The time to sack him IMO would be when we once again have the squad and budget capable of finishing midtable. If we have that and still finishing 16th/17th then that would be the time to get rid, but we seem miles off that at the moment. He's shown in his time here that he's capable of developing his style, we're better to watch than his Burnely team was, so personally I'd have no problem with him still being in charge if/when we have more money available for transfers to see what he can do. He'll always have a direct style but might be able to refine that with a proper squad at his disposal

You’re just a glass half empty while I’m a glass half full, that’s the difference.

The majority of fans thought moshiri was going to be the bees knees, but he wasn’t most think 777 are going to be disastrous, they’re selling all our best players and not replacing them, they’re selling BMD and giving dyche a 10yr deal and sticking his face on the side of the new ground.

We don’t know if it will be 777 or somebody else, but change Is coming and we have to hope it’s for the better. Maybe they will get in a board that actually knows what they’re doing, unlike moshiri and a sporting teams and let’s them do the job and not have every Tom, [Poor language removed] and harry thinking they’re experts when it comes to buying players and listening to agents in their ears.

That's great and all but your glass half full positive outlook is having the weird effect of you bashing this thread with negativity every day saying the same thing. I'm an optimist that hates the kind of football we play now, but our current situation dictates to me that the only goal is staying up and everything else takes a back seat for now.

I don't think the thread would have half as many posts attempting to give context for our crap football and manager if there wasn't such posts moaning about progressive football and dreaming of change without even slightly mentioning the risks and impact of the change failing

You seemingly have no care for the possible negative consequences of what you are demanding.

Write a post without moaning about the same things on Dyche and explain why in the scenario where we do not clearly strengthen the squad in the summer or even possibly somehow look worse that you would criticise other fans for preferring we just stick with the manager who has shown he can grind out enough points to stay up

I think as with most arguments on the forum it can be a bit pointless if everybody comes from a different starting point which they can't agree on. I'd say 90% of posters contributing to or reading this thread think the only thing that is important right now/next season is staying up. You don't seem to be as worried about our situation and prefer to dream of having money in the summer, so your stance will never be agreed on by most until circumstances change in reality

Nobody cares about Dyches ceiling or that he will never change or try play better football. The argument doesn't matter as we will almost all be asking for him to go if we somehow get to a more stable situation off the pitch. But right now, we just care if he keeps us up

Lucky to have Sean dyche wow

Over the summer it's likely our best players are going to be sold to service the debt and we'll be left with a worse team than this time around. The teams coming up from the Championship are also going to give it a proper go next season so I'll bet another relegation battle beckons. In that scenario, Dyche is the best we can hope for and I actually think he'd be able to find a club in less turmoil than us if he wanted to go.

You're clinging to the notion that we are a big draw for a manager. That's something from a bygone era now. The only people in world football that really think that now are some of our fans. Even our owner has given up hope on that.