2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

seems like a likable dude, and its probably not all his fault. If he's one another club that's near us in table but plays a more attacking style (Brentford/Luton) he might be doing alright. However its not working here.

Beto needs a run, he might score 0 goals, but its not a downgrade.

We play hoof ball with one up front - we have score 1/2 of our goals from set pieces ... says it all yes Dom has missed the odd chance but its his only chance in that particular game we create very little for any striker ....
I know it's only a rough guide, but we are under performing on our expected goals as much as any side in Europe

Dom has also under performed his own expected goals by quite a lot.

That shows we are creating more but are missing chances. We can absolutely be better at creating chances but we aren't taking enough of the ones we do create either.

Even just watching our games, we can see lots of good chances not being taken. It's been a huge frustration this season although not today.

Eventually we would have no option in my opinion. If he doesn't perform in the next couple of games then yes I think we try something else and use him off the bench. It doesn't have to be a long or even medium term plan. If he gets a goal off the bench it could get him going.
I’ve seen us play without him and that team is a team that gets relegated. Like it or not he’s comfortably our best player in that position and when fit will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

I know it's only a rough guide, but we are under performing on our expected goals as much as any side in Europe

Dom has also under performed his own expected goals by quite a lot.

That shows we are creating more but are missing chances. We can absolutely be better at creating chances but we aren't taking enough of the ones we do create either.

Even just watching our games, we can see lots of good chances not being taken. It's been a huge frustration this season although not today.
Harrison had our one genuine chance today, first half ....

At some point we might have to try something else, so why not.

I would give Dom the next game because it's a favourable game on paper. But if his performance level isn't much better then we have to make a decision. Poor performance should eventually lead to you losing your place at some point.

Trouble is if he is crap against palace and we get beat, we will struggle to catch them .

I’ve seen us play without him and that team is a team that gets relegated. Like it or not he’s comfortably our best player in that position and when fit will be one of the first names on the team sheet.
He is our best forward and that's why Dyche is sticking with him through a goalless run of 19 matches.

There comes a point where we try something else if he has a couple more poor games where we don't get results.