2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

So we bench him and make our team worse off the back of a vague principle?
Eventually we would have no option in my opinion. If he doesn't perform in the next couple of games then yes I think we try something else and use him off the bench. It doesn't have to be a long or even medium term plan. If he gets a goal off the bench it could get him going.

At some point we might have to try something else, so why not.

I would give Dom the next game because it's a favourable game on paper. But if his performance level isn't much better then we have to make a decision. Poor performance should eventually lead to you losing your place at some point.
We have - one forward is not the answer, we went for a 0-0 & never got it ....

You can't be serious with that analysis.
DCL was isolated on his own against top class defenders.
Haaland was playing in front of and with the best players on the planet.
Compare how Haaland plays for his country rather than his club if you want a more reasonable comparison.

Haaland is a great player no doubt, but comparing DCL without acknowledging the difference in the two teams just makes no sense.
I am very aware that Haaland is a top 3 striker in the world right now, while DCL is a decent prem-level striker at max who is not in form and it doesn't make sense to compare their ability in general. I was more pointing out this situation. We win a ball 30 yards away, could make a through pass to McNeil who would be able to take a shot from a quite good position but take a decision that gives away a good opportunity as often this season. It's As mentioned a lot, we have a quality problem on the ball and it's not easy for a striker to be involved as we are mainly defending and not getting a lot of support from the midfield. So we need to be effective when we get close there.

Last edited:

We packed the midfield using our two wingers - not one corner - it's City we drew 1-1 there last season .... but had a stronger team imo ....
Of course City are a better side

But I'm talking about this long run of poor performances, not just today. We don't need Dom to score every other week but 19 games is virtually half a season. We need better in front of goal - I dont think it's unreasonable to expect a bit better.

Of course City are a better side

But I'm talking about this long run of poor performances, not just today. We don't need Dom to score every other week but 19 games is virtually half a season. We need better in front of goal - I dont think it's unreasonable to expect a bit better.
We play hoof ball with one up front - we have score 1/2 of our goals from set pieces ... says it all yes Dom has missed the odd chance but its his only chance in that particular game we create very little for any striker ....