Handball ref? Ref?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the state of handball decisions this season...it's clearly handball and a penalty. It might look soft or harsh but look at the still above. His arm is clearly not by his side and the only people who run with their arms out at a 45 degree angle are clowns. His arms are flaying around thus creating a bigger silhouette.

Commentary team I was listening to said a VAR check was in progress and then check was complete.

I actually don’t think it was a pen tbh, the ball was bouncing away from the goal and by hitting his arm it was almost an own goal but for his teammates clearance (almost certain I previously heard Howard Webb mention that trajectory of the ball is taken into consideration).

If the ball was goalbound and hit him, sure, but I’d have been annoyed if that went against us.
So by that logic, an outswinging corner that hits a defender's arm isn’t handball either as its trajectory was taking it away from the goal.

Commentary team I was listening to said a VAR check was in progress and then check was complete.

I actually don’t think it was a pen tbh, the ball was bouncing away from the goal and by hitting his arm it was almost an own goal but for his teammates clearance (almost certain I previously heard Howard Webb mention that trajectory of the ball is taken into consideration).

If the ball was goalbound and hit him, sure, but I’d have been annoyed if that went against us.
Yea in the rule book that's rule 17.g(ii) .. If the ball isn't goal bound you can handle it but if it is goal bound it's a foul.. Is that actually your take on handball?

Yea in the rule book that's rule 17.g(ii) .. If the ball isn't goal bound you can handle it but if it is goal bound it's a foul.. Is that actually your take on handball?

I would absolutely LOVE to see the cryarsing on here if that last night was given against us.

PGMOL on the Onana pen v City: "The VAR looks at it to see if it's clear and obviously wrong and he's not going to come to that conclusion when he sees the arm up by the side of the head, blocking a shot towards goal and therefore it's a credible penalty kick outcome."

So yes, that is my actual take on handball.

I'm not arsed about the non-call. It wasn't deliberate off a weird bounce, and the touch actually made it almost go in.

If it were reversed, I'd be irate if we got that handball in the box defensively

Ball to hand. Not hand to ball.

Even Dyche in the press conference said he'd have been annoyed if it was given against us.
I'd say about 90% of penalties given these days are ball to hand. We could probably count the number given for deliberate hand ball on one hand.

Based on everything I've watched this season in the PL, yesterday was a clear penalty.

I would absolutely LOVE to see the cryarsing on here if that last night was given against us.

PGMOL on the Onana pen v City: "The VAR looks at it to see if it's clear and obviously wrong and he's not going to come to that conclusion when he sees the arm up by the side of the head, blocking a shot towards goal and therefore it's a credible penalty kick outcome."

So yes, that is my actual take on handball.
It doesn't need to be a shot at goal to be given handball these days. In fact most aren't. The most common one these days seems to be when a cross hits a hand.

Where the ball is travelling isn't a key factor based on the rules and the current interpretation. I agree with you it probably should be though.

It doesn't need to be a shot at goal to be given handball these days. In fact most aren't. The most common one these days seems to be when a cross hits a hand.

Where the ball is travelling isn't a key factor based on the rules and the current interpretation. I agree with you it probably should be though.

I'm looking at it from the position of did it provide Fulham with any advantage or did it disadvantage us in any way? The answer to both is no. So I don't understand how it could've been a pen, particularly after a dodgy bounce off the bar that unintentionally hits his arm.

The relevant part of the laws:

It is an offence if a player:
(...)
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation.
(...)

In the case of Fulham, they are interpreting the arm to be in a natural position. The argument is that he wasn't trying to make his body bigger as he probably wasn't expecting it to come down off the bar towards him.

In the case of Onana the other week, they have probably said that Onana knew (or hoped) the ball was coming at him and having his arm up like that was unnatural and making his body bigger. The problem is that if you can probably take images from every single game and see players in exactly the same position. Ok, so the ball doesn't hit their arm usually, but it IS natural for that specific situation.
Yeah in isolation you might be able to make a case for it, but when you go side by side with the Robinson and Onana decisions that goes out the window. They just move the rules and calls how they see fit and how they want things to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.