Handball by Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the linesman did advise him that he thought it was a penalty, and the ref went by that. City surrounding the ref was ridiculous and perhaps it did have a bearing on the eventual decision, but giving a view on decisions is one of the linesman's roles.

But the linesman was 50 yards away. The ref had a better view?

Do we even know if the linesman did actually say anything? Looked to me like the ref wilted under pressure. We should be demanding audio between linesman and ref if it's even available.

In all my years watching footy, and especially more recently at Marine AFC, the liner never gets involved unless he's closer or has a better view.

Do we even know if the linesman did actually say anything? Looked to me like the ref wilted under pressure. We should be demanding audio between linesman and ref if it's even available.

In all my years watching footy, and especially more recently at Marine AFC, the liner never gets involved unless he's closer or has a better view.
The ref changed his mind.
( I was nearer than the linesman!. The speed of it all and the noise of the kick were clear)
I'd be interested it knowing how long between shot and hitting Onana there was. That ball was really travelling.
Unless the liner didnt call it which case it means city claimed and won the penalty!

The ref changed his mind.
( I was nearer than the linesman!. The speed of it all and the noise of the kick were clear)
I'd be interested it knowing how long between shot and hitting Onana there was. That ball was really travelling.
Unless the liner didnt call it which case it means city claimed and won the penalty!

0.2 seconds between the shot and hitting Onanas hand.

It would have taken Onana 1.1 seconds to react and get his hand out of the way based on distance and speed of ball.

Basically, he didn't stand a bloody chance.

Yes, he's clearly looking at the linesman when he gives it. Whether the linesman has a better view is up to the ref, right? It's not like the ref is right next to the incident with an unobscured view; he's outside the penalty area with players in front of him when it happens. What do you mean the linesman never gets involved? Do they keep what they think to themselves? How would they know the ref's view is better?

Sometimes it's just a questionable decision rather than a conspiracy. Most of the time actually.

Yes, he's clearly looking at the linesman when he gives it. Whether the linesman has a better view is up to the ref, right? It's not like the ref is right next to the incident with an unobscured view; he's outside the penalty area with players in front of him when it happens. What do you mean the linesman never gets involved? Do they keep what they think to themselves? How would they know the ref's view is better?

Sometimes it's just a questionable decision rather than a conspiracy. Most of the time actually.

Yes, they absolutely keep what they think to themselves.

You only ever see linesmen calling the ref over when it's something that happens right under their nose. It's not a committee, they are there to assist.

I will repeat, just in case you missed it the first time... The liner was 50 yards away.

Yes, they absolutely keep what they think to themselves.

You only ever see linesmen calling the ref over when it's something that happens right under their nose. It's not a committee, they are there to assist.

I will repeat, just in case you missed it the first time... The liner was 50 yards away.
I ignored it because he wasn't fifty yards away.

So since Wednesday, we've had incidents meeting the same criteria as Onana's handball in Spurs game on Thursday and Ipswich QPR last night.
Neither given. 🤔

So since Wednesday, we've had incidents meeting the same criteria as Onana's handball in Spurs game on Thursday and Ipswich QPR last night.
Neither given. 🤔

I don't think that's a good comparison because the contact is so small and has absolutely no effect on the resulting play (I know none of that is in the rules but most refs would take that into account). I think far far to many penalties are awarded nowadays and there is a complete disconnect between the crime and punishment. A penalty should really only be restitution for a goal scoring opportunity which has been lost because of a foul. But the majority of pens nowadays are for tiny amounts of contact with players running away from goal with no chance of scoring. I always remember the Michael Keane one at Palace where he jumped and landed on someone's foot.

Get this slimeball thrown in the bin. Embarrassing rolling this tit out every week to defend the ref.
I said on another thread there's a huge problem with pundits nowadays, none of them other than Keane challenge any of this nonsense. It's beyond a joke now. The problem is there has been a rise of people getting involved in football, who know nothing about the game. You have brain dead half wits who are thick giving their idiotic opinions on things they don't understand. Nobody questions other than Tim Cahill, whether VAR is actually a good thing. You just get this gormless conformity, the problem in this country is people seem to think corruption only happens in Russia. There's a problem as Mouriniho pointed out, that you have all these pundits who have played for United or the RS so they don't challenge anything. The Rodri handball was just a farce, the problem.is that Sky have promoted this idea that only certain clubs matter. Now Dyche effed up before the derby, by not putting pressure on the ref by mentioning favourable decisions Liverpool have received in derbies. This plucky little Everton has to stop, we need to stop being nice. Also if as fans we have to disrupt games to get our message across. I'm sick of apathetic idiots who don't get angry about anything, the divvies who refuse to see what's there in front of their eyes.

I don't think that's a good comparison because the contact is so small and has absolutely no effect on the resulting play (I know none of that is in the rules but most refs would take that into account). I think far far to many penalties are awarded nowadays and there is a complete disconnect between the crime and punishment. A penalty should really only be restitution for a goal scoring opportunity which has been lost because of a foul. But the majority of pens nowadays are for tiny amounts of contact with players running away from goal with no chance of scoring. I always remember the Michael Keane one at Palace where he jumped and landed on someone's foot.
Fair enough, but all of what you said wasn't taken into account for us. There seems to be growing evidence that there isn't a rule, rather guidance that will be interpreted by the individual referee on a situational basis.

Onana's penalty was given because apparently his hand was in a particular position. The path of the ball was such that if his hand wasn't there, it hits him in the face. It wasn't going in, wasn't a goal scoring chance. If the infringement was simply that the ball hits his hand in a particular position, then the 2 examples mentioned should have been given.

That's why I don't. Playing the game is fundamental to some elements of understanding it. Are you American?
I understand the game fairly better than you if you can’t comprehend that the rules have changed over time. They are not the same- ball to hand used to be the defense. If you have your arm in an unnatural position nowadays or not by your side you can be called for a pen. Notice how Tarkovsky tries to put his arms behind his back every time he goes in for a tackle. While Onana’s incident was completely incidental, he was flailing his arms about and brought them above his head. They stopped the ball dead and it affected the play for better or worse. It can be called a pen in today’s game.

I wish they were more consistent with the rules, but they aren’t. The quality of officiating isn’t quite up to par.

Status
Not open for further replies.