VAR

And the worst one is goalkeeping timewasting when the ball is at their feet in open play, they just wait for the striker to come out of position and if the passing option is cut out then they just pick it up. And when did terrible goalkeeping become the norm? It feels like the moment Ederson was considered a good goalkeeper we were screwed, goalkeeping errors became exciting 'play' (Consider that VAR call in Forest vs. Brentford). You blink and you miss, reallyyy...
That was a shocker that one… worse than the goal heard round the world for the Rs..

The player was actually punished for trying to get up and score

That was a shocker that one… worse than the goal heard round the world for the Rs..

The player was actually punished for trying to get up and score
Really, it is that protection for the goalkeeper thing. But it is terrible goalkeeping in the first place, as a striker you are expected to close the goalie down and then get punished for doing it. Terrible interpretation of the game.

More rules only means additional definitive ways to bypass them, the only way forward should be simplifying the refereeing rules. Get them to follow rules that are tacit rather than explicit resulting in open interpretation for additional unnecessary action (clear and obvious error and such, the question becomes to whom). The time-wasting rules are another beast altogether, all they have done for well-coached teams is to tell what kind of time-wasting isn't time-wasting. You then get more nonsense added in when Luton at the weekend gets highlighted for time wasting when Villa who do it more often gets a pass.

Said the same when someone was saying how 16mins of added time was right to stop time wasting in some instances.

The ball doesn't have to be out of play or injuries for time wasting.

Taking the ball in the corner, passing it around the defence, keeping the ball in the lead, taking an age on corners (see Arsenal and their 30 second corners against us).

That's how bad they've got a lot of these rule tweaks.

Said the same when someone was saying how 16mins of added time was right to stop time wasting in some instances.

The ball doesn't have to be out of play or injuries for time wasting.

Taking the ball in the corner, passing it around the defence, keeping the ball in the lead, taking an age on corners (see Arsenal and their 30 second corners against us).

That's how bad they've got a lot of these rule tweaks.
But more rules means more ways to kill the game. The current footballing regime just is biased toward passing and 'attacking', on the other hand you should not then define what is 'effective' football. A fine line needs to be discussed and drawn collectively. Maybe the boo boys are onto something, idk how to make football more democratic? The germans are onto something...🤔

Really, it is that protection for the goalkeeper thing. But it is terrible goalkeeping in the first place, as a striker you are expected to close the goalie down and then get punished for doing it. Terrible interpretation of the game.

I think that’s the bs they rolled out to try and justify it.

The rules are written in a way that there is always a possible explanation to protect the ref.

They’re like the American cops … they never turn on their own … even if they’re completely wrong

The rules are written in a way that there is always a possible explanation to protect the ref.

They’re like the American cops … they never turn on their own … even if they’re completely wrong
Again think it's the other way around, simply put the rules will serve no matter what decision the ref takes. Rather than cops, these are better thought of as lawyers who will only argue based (edit) on precedents.

It's why it should just be 1 ref making the final decision.

You need someone to have the final say on enforcing rules that tend to be open to interpretation. If they're his interpretation...then accept it.

What people don't accept are games controlled by a committee with millions of pounds worth of tech they don't really know how to use. Referees get lazy and rely on it to back them up, linos don't put flags up anymore. Now it's failing them.

Like it's been said before...just strip it back.

It's why it should just be 1 ref making the final decision.

You need someone to have the final say on enforcing rules that tend to be open to interpretation. If they're his interpretation...then accept it.

What people don't accept are games controlled by a committee with millions of pounds worth of tech they don't really know how to use. Referees get lazy and rely on it to back them up, linos don't put flags up anymore. Now it's failing them.

Like it's been said before...just strip it back.
1 ref for making the decisions is a good call. But I don't buy the technological determinism argument about ref behaviour, if there are sensible technological additions to ease the work of those making the call (automated offside and goal line decisions) we should all be for it. What we shouldn't do is as you said, get a committee in to referee games with full host of ex-player additions, game haters, and mix-tape releases. Do we really look at the current roster of 'Pundits', and go, 'Hmmm... Gimme more of that' ?

1 ref for making the decisions is a good call. But I don't buy the technological determinism argument about ref behaviour, if there are sensible technological additions to ease the work of those making the call (automated offside and goal line decisions) we should all be for it. What we shouldn't do is as you said, get a committee in to referee games with full host of ex-player additions, game haters, and mix-tape releases. Do we really look at the current roster of 'Pundits', and go, 'Hmmm... Gimme more of that' ?

Always said it should be there if the ref wants to use it, not the other way around. He wants to re look at something he can shout up and say...let me look at that again.

Goal line tech. Sound.
Offsides...the minute you get lines for shoulders etc...no. Use the lino. If he's made a huge miss, then step in. If it's millimetres...don't bother IMO cos no fan is arsed if a toenail is off.

Everything else up to the refs discretion to help him.

Eg - Handball. The ref interprets it as a no, VAR shouldn't then step in. Ref says yes...again, VAR shouldn't step in unless HE/SHE wants to look at it again. Game continues.

Having this blanket implementation to control games is how it's failed rather being an aide to help refs.

I've never seen it help a ref. All I've seen is it overrule any decision they've made.

Always said it should be there if the ref wants to use it, not the other way around. He wants to re look at something he can shout up and say...let me look at that again.

Goal line tech. Sound.
Offsides...the minute you get lines for shoulders etc...no. Use the lino. If he's made a huge miss, then step in. If it's millimetres...don't bother IMO cos no fan is arsed if a toenail is off.

Everything else up to the refs discretion to help him.

Eg - Handball. The ref interprets it as a no, VAR shouldn't then step in. Ref says yes...again, VAR shouldn't step in unless HE/SHE wants to look at it again. Game continues.

Having this blanket implementation to control games is how it's failed rather being an aide to help refs.

I've never seen it help a ref. All I've seen is it overrule any decision they've made.
See, your framing might solve this problem. Like, handball incident... ref makes the call. The End. It does not even fall into the jurisdiction of VAR as an entity, it is nonexistent. Then both our conditions are satisfied...
In similar vein, Offside incident, ref checks the indicator (sideline/automated), makes the call. The End. It again does not fall into the jurisdiction of VAR.

The problem with VAR always has been what the 'Assisted' in it means, and who is doing the Assisting. We can't have a conversation until that is decided. My personal preference would be to not even give it to AI, just simple video analysis algorithms.

Release the audio? They should see the video...

Screenshot_20231003_180423_Chrome.jpg

Check complete.

:D

It's funny because it's them, but there are so many voices just in that one short clip (ref, assistant ref, VAR, assistant VAR, replay guy, fourth official) that crosstalk and confusion are inevitable, it's a preposterous setup.

See, your framing might solve this problem. Like, handball incident... ref makes the call. The End. It does not even fall into the jurisdiction of VAR as an entity, it is nonexistent. Then both our conditions are satisfied...
In similar vein, Offside incident, ref checks the indicator (sideline/automated), makes the call. The End. It again does not fall into the jurisdiction of VAR.

The problem with VAR always has been what the 'Assisted' in it means, and who is doing the Assisting. We can't have a conversation until that is decided. My personal preference would be to not even give it to AI, just simple video analysis algorithms.
It was supposed to be for clear and obvious decisions.. if you have to fiddle about with lines for ages deciding on millimeters for an offside decision then it isn't clear and obvious.. they should have 15 seconds for a VAR review if they can't decide in that length of time then it's not clear and obvious so the decision on the field stands.