2023/24 Amadou Onana

How has it taken 13months to pair them together? Been the most obvious pairing and yet only really today weve seen it.
We played the 2 of them together against Doncaster in the last round and our midfield was crap that day.

For me, they’re clearly the best pairing but it’s just as much about having a forward who can hold the ball up and wide players who can press and provide a threat.

Now we have the right players to put around them, we can (and should) have them as the regular pairing.

We played the 2 of them together against Doncaster in the last round and our midfield was crap that day.

For me, they’re clearly the best pairing but it’s just as much about having a forward who can hold the ball up and wide players who can press and provide a threat.

Now we have the right players to put around them, we can (and should) have them as the regular pairing.

To be fair they weren’t crap they were just utterly bypassed by the wank tactics.

Onana and Garner were seeing the balls bypass them as Nymz says. Part way through it seemed like onana wondered what he was meant to do to effect the game.

Needs to get a style of play like last night and stick to it + have another setup or two to rotate into if its not effective in a game.

Not a 6, despite popular belief. He was great yesterday.

TBH I had him down as a 6 as he plays there for Belgium. I stand corrected after last night though

What would you say he is then if not a 6 ?

Seems a bit of an odd one this...hes 6 Garner 8. But both also kind of a double pivot...one a little more defensive minded the other more offensive.

He is a great tackler, can make great surging runs forward and can split the defense with a killer pass. He isn’t Messi but he doesn’t need to be as a powerful runner with his long stride. Somebody mentioned Yaya and that is a good comparison to work towards. Where he plays in the middle isn’t relevant so much as pairing him with his best partner. Garner is that guy atm. Both can play just about anywhere in the middle because of their skillsets.

Yep the team looked balanced and in synch, there was no big gaps between the lines like in the preseason games.

Tomorrow let's see who starts on midfield.

My gut instinct is Everton will start the same as v Brentford.

UTFTs!